Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 08:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,236,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Yes, I'm glad for that too. But I think we've kind of gotten off topic.

It's not new, as many have already said. I think "retiring to Florida" has become part of The American Dream. I think some people don't even think about whether they will be happier in Florida versus their life in the NY/NJ area; their decision to move (or at least do the "Snowbird" thing) is a sort of "expectation" of others around them, like buying that bigger car or putting in a pool.

The irony of the population shift is that as more people move here to escape various negative aspects of the northeast (heavy taxation, hostility, population density), those very negatives seem to come with them as they vote to make things "like we did it up north".
Yes, it was "Retiring to CA" at one time, but the costs are killing that, unless you have a LOT of money. FL is better priced, but not as good weather wise as CA. Both are way better than the NE.

As to voting; they can't admit they were wrong where they came from and hope it works better this time. It doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 08:44 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,214,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Yes, but you have to live in Volusia. Just kidding. Volusia is more than Daytona. Parts of Ormond are quite nice.
Port Orange has had explosive growth and is a good place to settle down also. NSB has a lot of good restaurants

Pretty much the middle sucks though (north of south daytona through daytona and holy hill, aka holy hell)

Old 07-29-2017, 05:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,983,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbig View Post
But the good news is that Trump won.
Thats a matter of opinion, why do you think trump winning is good news?

Old 07-29-2017, 07:56 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,214,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats a matter of opinion, why do you think trump winning is good news?
It's a lie actually considering trump had never an approval rating above 45% since he was elected

Old 07-29-2017, 07:58 AM

34,107 posts, read 18,350,139 times
Another reason I don't go to Florida, let alone move there.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:38 AM

686 posts, read 614,942 times
One of many reasons I'm getting out eventually. This place can rot.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:24 AM

216 posts, read 324,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Are you Russian?
Nyet.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:08 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
It depends where you move from. The COL in Fairfax County Virginia is much higher than Volusia County FL. The average resident cannot retire and pay their mortgage in Fairfax but it is pretty easy to do so in Volusia.
Personal Financial Management 101: You shouldn't be paying a mortgage in retirement, regardless of where you live.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:12 PM

2,504 posts, read 1,822,190 times
Too many Yankees in this state complaining about how things down here aren't like up in NY/NJ.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:18 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,458,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Yes, I'm glad for that too. But I think we've kind of gotten off topic.

It's not new, as many have already said. I think "retiring to Florida" has become part of The American Dream. I think some people don't even think about whether they will be happier in Florida versus their life in the NY/NJ area; their decision to move (or at least do the "Snowbird" thing) is a sort of "expectation" of others around them, like buying that bigger car or putting in a pool.

The irony of the population shift is that as more people move here to escape various negative aspects of the northeast (heavy taxation, hostility, population density), those very negatives seem to come with them as they vote to make things "like we did it up north".
Not me... no way. I don't want any Schumer Gillibrand Cuomo esque type nonsense contaminating this state. I say purge them and bar them entry.

They LOVE taxing and they LOVE stripping freedom and exploiting kids to do so.

It's the cityiots from long/staten island, the boroughs yankahz and west to Rockland County North to orange/putnam counties that bring that garbage with them.

Us hicks in the sticks from upstate live and let live aside from the blistering heat and humidity we adjust well, work in skilled trades. Not sit in cubicles and rely on others in service industries to do it for us.

Only complaint is have about this state other than people don't know how to drive, the incessant need to build and develop on every vacant square inch...
Take it from someone who's town was over run with cityiots who artificially inflated home values. When they buy farms, subdivide the land, build their half million dollar weekend/summer retreat houses, your property taxes and property assessments spike.
They'll pass noise ordinances against you. Restrict hunting. Because they're not only terrified of guns, they want peace and tranquility... for their holier than thou selves can't be bothered with noise, that's not why they moved! And once the deer population explodes, farmers take a hit losing acres of crops in no time.
Then these pricks who can't drive, nail deer on their way up, raise your car insurance premiums. Then when farmers are taking a huge hit they go ignored in town hall meetings, but once a fine groomed cityiot retreat has its landscaping chewed up, then and only then will DEC and ENCON go to Vermont to round up mountain lions to thin the heard... but only the farmers again take the hit losing chicken hogs and cattle to the big cats. Lakes. They'll build on the side of lakes and kill hunting waterfoul. Canadian geese well... they chit like a goose. They'll pollute the lake so bad, they post do not swim, do not drink, or eat the fish you catch out of the lake.

Cityiots are a scourge that need to be kept in their Burroughs islands and backwards dependent way of living.

Oh sure if you're like me and can build a house, do roofing, etc the economic gains are great, but only temporary. Ya'll need a better economy than tourism/Disney, Tropicana, and customer service.

I'd say fight to get a place like Global Foundries down here. This state has fine engineering programs that thwart RPI back in NY... Be like Trump, offer tech and production companies tax breaks or tax exemptions to come. And they will. And bring better than 18 per hour jobs with them

I browse job listing within a 75 mile radius... sad... jobs that pay 100k+ up north only pay 50/60k down here... where I live, most folks will drive to west Palm out to west coast etc to get decent wages... locally the best you'll find is 15-18 per hour. I feel for the kids of this state, I really do... get good careers that pay, keep democrats out of office to push for higher taxes, keep the cost of living down... my God this state could be the wealthiest state of them all! Look around. What do you see? Year round motorcycle riding weather. You get a manufacturer like Harley down here to pump out bikes lower the cost of new sportsters dynas and geezer glides... have a Florida price that's thousands less than other states. Win Win.

Same with boats. I'm surprised, for that whole save the manatee thing ya'll sure do love propellers. I haven't seen many jet boats. Those reign supreme up on Lake George the Hudson River and finger lakes. Turn on a dime, go like a raped ape, no prop to worry about chopping some fat thing up that swims laps and eats sea lettuce... and you don't have to worry in the shallows unless your intake grate is inferior to suck sand up to annihilate the wear ring and the blade in the jet pump...

Stop gobbling up all of the property and have quad/dirtbike trails... Oh man... there was nothing like riding for hours through mountains and fields winding up in MA CT. Down here would be great to run up and down the beaches, run the power lines, and wind up in various towns taking in the cool tropical views
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida