Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:50 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,428,811 times

Advertisements

The clouds are beautiful here a lot of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 02:40 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,181,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I will have to agree with Kyle here. I have been here for 15 years. This trend is rather terrible. It's overcast all day.
Definitely still sunny on the East Coast more than it is overcast.

Have you guys ever been to the midwest in the winter? My Florida kids after a 2 week vacation at Christmas 1 year mentioned on the way home from Chicago, how gray it was and how we had not seen the sun once in 10 days that we were up there. That does not happen here. Even the day after a hurricane when the center has moved inland and North, you can see sun.

Overcast is different than cloudy because it means clouds obscure at least 95% of the sky and are grayish in color. It can last for less than a couple hours to days. So really how many of the overcast days referred to earlier in the posts were overcast for the whole day? And were they in every area of the state? So do we lose the Sunshine State status because not all the state is sunny at the same time?
Chances are if you drive an hour in any direction from an overcast area, you will get to the bright sunshine and what we call Florida Blue skies. The sky rarely is the same blue without a cloud in the sky anywhere but in Florida. Maybe it is in the perception..... like the 1/2 full or 1/2 empty cup. We don't all look at things with the same optimism and see the gloom instead of the sun.
In my book it is still the Sunshine State because the sun shines way more than in other states that actually have true winter and a true spring.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:47 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
In my book it is still the Sunshine State because the sun shines way more than in other states that actually have true winter and a true spring.
And like much everything else in life, personal perception doesn't dictate the overall reality like facts can. I realize facts aren't a big deal to many anymore, but it is what it is.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
And like much everything else in life, personal perception doesn't dictate the overall reality like facts can. I realize facts aren't a big deal to many anymore, but it is what it is.
But what you are quoting is not really the whole truth. Central Florida is a big area. A weather station might say it will be overcast and that is what is recorded at the weather station, but it does not mean that the same thing is happening 10 miles down the road, yet they are still still in the same area of the state. For example Melbourne weather station is used for all of South Brevard when they post stuff, but we rarely get the same bad weather. They may get winds and heavy down pours and we may be having a sunny day or vice versa and our city boundaries touch. Can't tell you how many times I have packed the car and driven to the beach when it is raining at my house and not a cloud in the sky at the beach and that is only 10 miles or less.

Here's a chart of days with sun......
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...f-sunshine.php

In my chart for 2016........Orlando had 236 days with sun. That leaves only 126 overcast days. Still sunnier than overcast.

Sunshine State sure sounds better than Hurricane State, Crazy People State, Old Retired People State etc. etc. Leave it alone. , Kyle .

Old 08-02-2017, 04:28 PM

686 posts, read 623,296 times
Quote:
Sounds like Arizona or New Mexico would be more your style.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:29 PM

17,539 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
But what you are quoting is not really the whole truth. Central Florida is a big area. A weather station might say it will be overcast and that is what is recorded at the weather station, but it does not mean that the same thing is happening 10 miles down the road, yet they are still still in the same area of the state. For example Melbourne weather station is used for all of South Brevard when they post stuff, but we rarely get the same bad weather. They may get winds and heavy down pours and we may be having a sunny day or vice versa and our city boundaries touch. Can't tell you how many times I have packed the car and driven to the beach when it is raining at my house and not a cloud in the sky at the beach and that is only 10 miles or less.

Here's a chart of days with sun......
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...f-sunshine.php

In my chart for 2016........Orlando had 236 days with sun. That leaves only 126 overcast days. Still sunnier than overcast.

Sunshine State sure sounds better than Hurricane State, Crazy People State, Old Retired People State etc. etc. Leave it alone. , Kyle .
What she said ^^^.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
What she said ^^^.
Some how I only included 362 days. Should have been 236 days of sun to 129 days when it was overcast for part of the day. That really coincides with the rainy summer months when you think 122 days in June, July, August, and September. And then you have 7 days of rainy weather/overcast part of the day during the rest of the year. Odds are pretty good you are going to see the sun sometime on your vacation-especially in the winter.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
FL is sunny enough for me and I was raised in SoCal. I will be enjoying the Sun in FL when my wife and I move there next year.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:46 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Individual human beings come up with the concept of facts and spew them out. Human beings are skewed.

What I find to be a real fact is that each new generation of human beings endures this "I'm special, I'm unique" mode. Fair enough.

You see, it is personal, and that's a real fact.

Look, sunshine and rain are not mutually exclusive.

Florida is the sunshine state and at the same time it is also the abundant water state, at the same time it is also the abundant heat all-year round state, at the same time it is also the no state income tax state, at the same time it is also the low-wage state, at the same time it is also the big balance sheet state, at the same time it is also ... fill in the blank based on your personal perception ... and that's a real fact.

And all that could change in an instant.

If it weren't for abundant water, Florida would be a desert.

At the same time, it is also a hair away from again being submerged into ocean.

The climate has been changing since day one, year one for billions of years, today is no exception.

Life is movement and risk.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:25 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I will have to agree with Kyle here. I have been here for 15 years. This trend is rather terrible. It's overcast all day.
Don't know where you are, but here most days it's sunny in the AM, and the clouds tend to roll in in the mid-afternoon. The showers and storms, when we get them, last at the most maybe an hour, and are very regional, ie, raining in some areas, not others. The sun, albeit along with some clouds most often, comes back out towards the evening.

Typical, as I see it from the perspective of living in FL for over 40 yrs, of a Florida summer day. Still lots of sun, though as others have said, I welcome the cloud cover, when it happens, for the accompanying cooler (a little, anyway) temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida