Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,609 posts, read 17,940,183 times

Advertisements

So with Irma, the question comes up, why didn't you leave? I realize some people believe they are safe, they live in a safe house, are on high ground, etc., or they don't want to leave for other personal reasons.

What percentage of people in Irma's projected path actually don't have any way to escape? (I'm not talking about nursing home inhabitants or people who are in prison or hospitals).

How many people who say "they have no way to leave" literally don't have a car, and $100 to buy gas? Nor do they know anyone who has a car, and can help pool together $100 in gas money.

It's just heartbreaking. In Katrina, there were thousands who literally had no way to get out. I saw on CNN today some guy BICYCLING out - that's not going to end well if you just left this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 06:39 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
The problem isn’t just having $100 in gas money, it’s finding gas, and the car actually making it. I saw a bunch of cars broken down on the side of I-75 that clearly weren’t in good condition. Luckily FHP was on top of helping them.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

So mark, what percentage do you think actually can't get out? It's so educational, in emergencies like this, to realize the percentage of US citizens who are completely and utterly without means even to flee for their lives.

It was a surprise to me at Katrina, and it's a surprise to me with Irma.

In Houston with Harvey, most of the people could have escaped - it seems - except they had no IDEA their neighborhood would flood like that. Had they known, they could and would have fled prior to the hurricane. The time was so short with Harvey. It was just BAM and it was on them.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:51 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

In Houston with Harvey, most of the people could have escaped - it seems - except they had no IDEA their neighborhood would flood like that. Had they known, they could and would have fled prior to the hurricane. The time was so short with Harvey. It was just BAM and it was on them.
It was pretty controversial to not call the evacuation in Harvey but there was the history with Rita

https://qz.com/1064813/hurricane-har...-explains-why/

Old 09-09-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It was pretty controversial to not call the evacuation in Harvey but there was the history with Rita

https://qz.com/1064813/hurricane-har...-explains-why/
I'm not talking about Harvey, really. That came too quickly. And I'm not really talking about a "mandatory evacuation" ordered by the government. I'm asking about what percentage of people given the notice that Irma has given, don't have the means to watch the news and decide to leave - and get a hotel for a week in Alabama or drive or fly to family's homes well out of reach of the storm.

I don't have a lot of family in Florida (I do have some, in the panhandle, who haven't evacuated) but I have friends who left Wednesday from St. Petersburg and points south. Because, yeah. That's what you do if you have the means. You decide to make a little vacation of it, and get the hell out of dodge.

So again. What percentage of the population doesn't have that ability to pack the car and drive out if they think their lives depend on it.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:08 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not talking about Harvey, really. That came too quickly. And I'm not really talking about a "mandatory evacuation" ordered by the government. I'm asking about what percentage of people given the notice that Irma has given, don't have the means to watch the news and decide to leave - and get a hotel for a week in Alabama or drive or fly to family's homes well out of reach of the storm.

I don't have a lot of family in Florida (I do have some, in the panhandle, who haven't evacuated) but I have friends who left Wednesday from St. Petersburg and points south. Because, yeah. That's what you do if you have the means. You decide to make a little vacation of it, and get the hell out of dodge.

So again. What percentage of the population doesn't have that ability to pack the car and drive out if they think their lives depend on it.
And where do they drive to out of danger, live, buy food, etc and then have the money to go back?

Old 09-09-2017, 07:14 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
I'm sure it's much more than we realize. Not everyone has the means to leave.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:35 PM

419 posts, read 387,522 times
Fortunately, there are many shelters to keep safe those who can't or won't leave. Many are pet friendly now making them accessible for those who used to refuse to leave because of their pets. Shelters are free, so those without the means to flee will be safe and don't have to worry about paying.

While we can afford to leave, we're in a solid block home away from the coast and, as always, will ride it out. We figure leave the evacuations to those in the most vulnerable areas such as along the coast where they have to deal with storm surge and take the first hit. We're in the middle of the state, so hurricanes will always hit land to slow it some before it gets to us.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And where do they drive to out of danger, live, buy food, etc and then have the money to go back?
Well, if you have a little bit of money, you can do that. Drive out, early, to Alabama and rent a hotel for $50 a night.

I'm just asking, in empathy, how many are stuck without the means to leave although they dearly want to?

You have to buy food wherever you are, so that's a net zero expense.

I think I'm not being clear. How many literally don't have $500 to their name, to flee for their lives, even if they have to put it on a credit card and pay it off in a couple months?

So anyway, my question continues to be (and it hasn't been answered yet) what percentage are unable to leave because of poverty?

Old 09-09-2017, 08:14 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
The question is unanswerable unless you knew the mental and financial state of everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida