U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2017, 04:04 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 28,480,823 times
Reputation: 14611

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
If no one speeds they write no speeding tickets, problem solved.
Very unlikely.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2017, 05:22 AM
 
Location: Full time in the RV
3,162 posts, read 6,912,933 times
Reputation: 2876
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
One time someone ran her off the road on 54 forcing her into the barrier, luckily she didn't go over the bridge and get killed. She calls her parents and then 911 because she can't get the car off the road (no one stopped to see if she was okay) btw. They and a trooper get there and the trooper tells them if she wants an accident report he will have to write her a citation for it even though it wasn't her fault. Her parents call the insurance company at the scene and they said to not file a report.
Many years ago a trooper told me they were under pressure to write a ticket for every accident, no matter how minor or the circumstances. This was to make it easier for insurance companies to assign fault. The insurance lobby had gone to FHP top brass and requested this. The insurance lobby also said if this didn't get done they would go to Tallahassee and complain and then you (FHP) can explain why you are not doing your jobs.


As for quotas, they are illegal in Florida. This was the downfall of the infamous Waldo speed trap.
Florida town infamous for speed traps disbanding police force - CBS News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 06:07 AM
 
12,022 posts, read 12,317,943 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Many years ago a trooper told me they were under pressure to write a ticket for every accident, no matter how minor or the circumstances. This was to make it easier for insurance companies to assign fault. The insurance lobby had gone to FHP top brass and requested this. The insurance lobby also said if this didn't get done they would go to Tallahassee and complain and then you (FHP) can explain why you are not doing your jobs.


As for quotas, they are illegal in Florida. This was the downfall of the infamous Waldo speed trap.
Florida town infamous for speed traps disbanding police force - CBS News
Waldo was infamous and ended up in the AAA books as well as on a billboard to warn motorists lol. Lawtey and starke were also bad small town speed traps on that road.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 08:39 AM
 
18,173 posts, read 12,663,351 times
Reputation: 9246
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Very unlikely.
Then the speeders should expect to get ticketed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 AM
 
18,173 posts, read 12,663,351 times
Reputation: 9246
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Waldo was infamous and ended up in the AAA books as well as on a billboard to warn motorists lol. Lawtey and starke were also bad small town speed traps on that road.
I have heard about this happening and have avoided those areas. Glad to hear something is being done about it. Now wait for the law suits from those who got tickets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Florida
23,810 posts, read 11,161,170 times
Reputation: 19914
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
You should move back to whichever place you came from if you aren't happy here
I am very happy here. I thought Florida was part of the country which observes constitutional free speech and opinions. And my opinion of the government and state legislature is that they are illogical and do not appear to care about the residents of the state.

Refusing to make texting while driving illegal for years, and then making it a 'secondary' offense is an example. Refusing to acknowledge that Miami is sinking and disallowing the words 'climate change' anywhere around the governor's office is another. Forcing city and county libraries and municipal buildings to allow guns, when they wish not to have them is another. Allowing insurance industry owners and lobbyists to hold office and make decisions regarding insurance laws is another. Telling state police to give out as many tickets as possible for revenue reasons is another.

With all due respect, perhaps you shouldn't respond to comments if you have nothing constructive to add other than a personal attack in the guise of a 'suggestion.'
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Full time in the RV
3,162 posts, read 6,912,933 times
Reputation: 2876
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Waldo was infamous and ended up in the AAA books as well as on a billboard to warn motorists lol. Lawtey and starke were also bad small town speed traps on that road.
Add Hampton to the list. They annexed a tiny part of 301 just to write tickets. Look at the map://www.city-data.com/city/Hampton-Florida.html

The good news is they disbanded their police department after a politician got a ticket. He ordered an audit of the city which led to a bunch of corruption. He introduced legislation to disincorporate the town. They settled for disbanding their PD as well as other reforms.

'Most corrupt city in America,' Hampton, Florida spared - CNN
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Fl
809 posts, read 620,540 times
Reputation: 642
Default Speed doesn't kill, but variation of speed does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Then the speeders should expect to get ticketed.
Here's some more information for you to process.

Is every speed limit too slow? - Business Insider

Specifically:

Quote:
Florida’s Department of Transportation, for example, extolls the 85th percentile principle, yet the state legislature sets maximum limits for each type of roadway. Locally, officials can come under pressure from parents and other safety-conscious groups to lower speed limits.
There are plenty of driving infractions that can be ticketed. Driving at appropriate speed for the road and conditions shouldn't be part of that mix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 05:17 PM
 
1,795 posts, read 1,224,627 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I am very happy here. I thought Florida was part of the country which observes constitutional free speech and opinions. And my opinion of the government and state legislature is that they are illogical and do not appear to care about the residents of the state.

Refusing to make texting while driving illegal for years, and then making it a 'secondary' offense is an example. Refusing to acknowledge that Miami is sinking and disallowing the words 'climate change' anywhere around the governor's office is another. Forcing city and county libraries and municipal buildings to allow guns, when they wish not to have them is another. Allowing insurance industry owners and lobbyists to hold office and make decisions regarding insurance laws is another. Telling state police to give out as many tickets as possible for revenue reasons is another.

With all due respect, perhaps you shouldn't respond to comments if you have nothing constructive to add other than a personal attack in the guise of a 'suggestion.'
Just like no fault this year went nowhere. Florida is one of only 4 states left that have it I think.

The insurance lobby is huge in Florida.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 05:19 PM
 
1,795 posts, read 1,224,627 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Waldo was infamous and ended up in the AAA books as well as on a billboard to warn motorists lol. Lawtey and starke were also bad small town speed traps on that road.
I'm from Missouri and they're finally cracking down on small municipal speed traps. We have a lot of them up there in St. Louis county. Their existence is to write tickets to basically pay the police and city workers. They hardly ever respond to a real call and instead focus on tickets while the county police end up getting the real calls piled on them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top