Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:43 PM

46 posts, read 141,944 times

Advertisements

13.50 an hour in New York for overnight taco bell??? they pay 7 or 8 tops.. your dellusional and dreaming. In New york they start you in warehouse(production)(westchester county and orange county) at 9-11 an hour. Try buying a house in the hudson valley or anywhere close to NY city on a 30$ an hour job or less.. hehe.. You think Florida is bad? see what you get for 250,000 in Orange county,ny.. a shack is what you get! Union type jobs get paid well in Union states but I bet alot of careers are equal salary. I think people should try all places to live and not stick to"but I can make 10 more thousand dollars" place. This is america,,, you work hard and have a little wit,, ya get paid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 07:32 AM

9 posts, read 24,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchoblanco View Post
13.50 an hour in New York for overnight taco bell??? they pay 7 or 8 tops.. your dellusional and dreaming. In New york they start you in warehouse(production)(westchester county and orange county) at 9-11 an hour. Try buying a house in the hudson valley or anywhere close to NY city on a 30$ an hour job or less.. hehe.. You think Florida is bad? see what you get for 250,000 in Orange county,ny.. a shack is what you get! Union type jobs get paid well in Union states but I bet alot of careers are equal salary. I think people should try all places to live and not stick to"but I can make 10 more thousand dollars" place. This is america,,, you work hard and have a little wit,, ya get paid
Im clueless? well I lived on long island and Brooklyn for 37 years only moved a year ago to help out my ageing parents since family is always my #1 concern.so they dont start people in NYC and long island at tacobell for 12.50 an hour ,portion rd ronkonkoma long island 1 year ago had a sign up Overnight shift 12.50 an hour..ok sure ,Im betting you havent been down to the boroughs or the island to other than for some parade or holiday event...I wouldnt know what wharehouses start at because I never needed to work at one nor actually did anyone I know ..I have worked hard at my trade to become a Very respected heavy equipment and auto mechanic and continue to do so ,and probably will till they put me in the ground ..Ive owned 3 Houses in NY one in bayridge,one in babylon and one in dixhills all of which were paid for on a mechanics salary ,so yeah I Know what prices are ,I paid my 9 grand a year plus taxes,I paid all my rediculously high bills ,I bought my first house in 91 when I was just 21 years old .So whos clueless ? I made my bones over many years of hard work .which has givin me the salaries I have made ...3 jobs in my life one from 16 years old till I was 25 ,second 25 to 30 ,and 30 till I moved 6 years later ,all were in the repair industry ,I did do butchering on the weekends at 150 a day to get some extra cash for my retirement fund,I have no complaints except that I enjoy working but should be getting more than i made when I started my career changing tires in 1987..

Last edited by neverstuck; 05-09-2008 at 08:06 AM..

Old 05-09-2008, 11:22 AM

22 posts, read 69,819 times
well i still live in the northeast and i can tell you it is the worst part of the country economically RIGHT NOW. maybe a year ago was different. but the lead story every night is the north east is the only place in a real recession, the northeast is the only place loosing thousands of jobs a month, the northeast is the only place loosing population. i can tell you a white collar job pays about 30K more per year in Florida than in the Northeast. I am currently being courted by two companies in the West Palm area and they are offering a lot more than up here. and let's remember there is no state income tax in florida and no or little property tax on cars. plus i can get a 3500 sq. ft house, 4bed,2 bath in florida for about $350K, herein the northeast it's about $500K minimum for a house like that. Let's also take into account we only have to buy one season of clothes for our kids, that saves money, no winter parkers, gloves and boots every six months.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:03 AM

190 posts, read 764,231 times
Neverstuck, why don't you go back to NY, don't tell us you are stuck here. You are Never Stuck. You can rent your home, go back and make tons of money in no time,back on your feet, buy another house there and use this Florida home for extra income.Take a vacation. Take the ailing family member with you.
If you aren't part of the solution...you are part of the problem.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:21 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Is it as bad all over Florida, as it is in SW Florida? Everyone wants to hire you part time so they can get out of giving you benefits. 3 years ago in my career type(property management/maintenance) there were positions all the time in the papers, careerbuilder, etc. Now there is about NOTHING. I hope something breaks soon, I don't feel like working at Taco Bell. i can see the changes in the past 3 years.
To respond to your post: I would agree that its a terrible time to make a move of any sort. I think what people should realize, is now is not the time for any major lifestyle changes. Unless you have a definite back up plan, I wouldn't count on finding anything in this job market.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:36 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink flamingo View Post
Neverstuck, why don't you go back to NY, don't tell us you are stuck here. You are Never Stuck. You can rent your home, go back and make tons of money in no time,back on your feet, buy another house there and use this Florida home for extra income.Take a vacation. Take the ailing family member with you.
A lot of assumptions about someones issues you don't know.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:29 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mec1212 View Post
i can tell you a white collar job pays about 30K more per year in Florida than in the Northeast. I am currently being courted by two companies in the West Palm area and they are offering a lot more than up here.
Who are these companies? Line of work? It's possible if your in the right line of work, but the average salary in PB County is around $40K or so (individual), the state average is around $40K.

Yes no state income tax here on individuals but the property tax rates and insurance rates will take that in no time. Toss in HOA fees if you choose to live in gated community are on the rise due to the cost of gas and etc.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:53 AM

9 posts, read 24,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink flamingo View Post
I will be going back to NY eventually ..as far as moving my aging parents back there its not an option .Nope I'm Not stuck in the financial sense ,but in a sense of responsibility to my parents ....Oh when I do move I will rent out my home ,to whomever has the credit score ..as far as me being part of the problem ,I'm not the one whoring myself for the wages in Florida ,I stated my opinion as which everyone in this country has the right to spew .And sorry I can show at least 10 friends that would have moved here if the pay wasn't so bad.and so many that, Are stuck here because of the pay ..want a solution heres one UNIONIZE the skilled labor force and get rid of this right to work BS.because there is noone helping the skilled labor to achieve its goals without being taken advantage of . if you need to work 3 jobs just to get by as a skilled worker than something is wrong .

Last edited by neverstuck; 05-11-2008 at 06:07 AM..

Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Default Not much better

Well here it is nearly 2 months later... I have been working at my parents new restaurant. As busy as it was before the snowbirds left, it's dropped off as to where they may just close it up and file bankruptcy. It won't survive another month or 2. People really like it, good food and all, but the economy and Florida alone are not working in thier favor. We can't keep it open at $600 a day income. Just to pay his employees is about that. It really sucks. My parents home is at the verge of foreclosure trying to save the house or restaurant is not easy, the restaurant goes first, I know that. my wife and I offered to move in with them just to help save the house. I work there 45-50 hours and tell them to pay me 30 hours just to help. Not a good deal here in wonderful Florida.

I see myself returning to Massachusetts by September. Maybe even the parents? When I leave this time, I will NEVER come back here unless it's to see Mickey or Shamu.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I see myself returning to Massachusetts by September. Maybe even the parents? When I leave this time, I will NEVER come back here unless it's to see Mickey or Shamu.
Sorry, but you probably won't be able to afford it Have you seen what it cost for a family of four to go to Disney for ONE day (to include parking, food & gifts)? And besides that, it is so overcrowded since every European can afford it now since the dollar is down the toilet. We went there last August & I was ready to leave before we even got into the park it was so crowded with people pushing to get onto the ferry as if the park was going to be gone if they didn't swarm the ferry like unfeed wild animals. Not a fun time. And Shamu isn't much cheaper. It's just wrong but business is business & parents will sell the family jewels so their kids can see Mickey & corporate Disney knows that all to well.

That was the same line I gave my dh though It's a nice place to visit when you have little kids & don't have to deal with excessive crowds.

FL isn't the place to move to without a job or anywhere for that matter..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida