Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 PM

6 posts, read 28,818 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to florida the middle of next year. I love Panama City but I was thinking about Fort Walton Beach area to. What is the best place to move to between these two cities. I don't know that much about Fort Walton Beach, I've been to Panama City probably 20 times. What about job wise in both places? Any help that anyone could give me would greatly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 06:30 PM

440 posts, read 2,426,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadiver1973 View Post
I plan on moving to florida the middle of next year. I love Panama City but I was thinking about Fort Walton Beach area to. What is the best place to move to between these two cities. I don't know that much about Fort Walton Beach, I've been to Panama City probably 20 times. What about job wise in both places? Any help that anyone could give me would greatly be appreciated.
We live in Santa Rosa Beach along the Scenic Highway 30A and the Beaches of South Walton. One of us 2bohemians lived in Panama City many, many years ago so we are very familiar with the area. We've lived all over Florida and out in Los Angeles and ended up back here in the Florida Panhandle. If you are looking to be in between Panama City & Ft Walton, then you have a few options ...... you've got the stretch of beaches we shared with you in the link above .... then next would be the Sandestin/Miramar Beach, which is mostly a resort .... then you will be in Destin, that's known as town around here, Destin has all the shopping, restaurants, bars, malls, amusement parks, etc ..... then a little north of Destin over the MidBay Bridge is Niceville and Bluewater Bay.

Which one is the best to live in ???? It all depends on what you are looking for. What kind of employment are you seeking .... ? This is a very service industry oriented town and that is the bulk of the jobs .... if you go more towards Ft Walton & Navarre, you have more military related type jobs with Eglin Air Force Base.

Let us know more and we will be happy to try and help in any way we can.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:53 PM

16 posts, read 65,054 times
i am considering a move that way also. I want to rent a house for the first yr to make sure I like it. Can you help? I want to live in a quiet area.
thanks i hope i hear from u

Old 04-08-2008, 10:39 AM

190 posts, read 764,179 times
What are some fun things to do in that area? Also wondering if that area gets a lot of gulf breezes that help cool down the summer heat?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:13 AM

440 posts, read 2,426,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink flamingo View Post
What are some fun things to do in that area? Also wondering if that area gets a lot of gulf breezes that help cool down the summer heat?
The fun is in the sun! Seriously, if you are going to live in this area, you really need to enjoy the beach, nature and water-related activities. What kind of fun are you looking for? Let's see, we have the amazing white sandy beaches with the emerald blue green warm clean waters of the gulf to play in or be inspired by. We have rare coastal dune lakes that are only found a couple of other places in the world. We have state parks along the coast. If you like fishing, there's no shortage of that --- there is gulf fishing, lake fishing and bay fishing. You can parasail, kitesurf, kayak, surf ..... We've got plenty of shopping all around --- from small boutiques to chain stores. We've got natural springs to the north of us if you're into that .... if you like the arts, we've got many galleries and a plethora of talented individuals .... May starts to ramp up the outdoor entertainment and festivals ... we have 2 jazz festivals coming soon .... we could go on and on ... but we'd love to find out what kind of fun you are looking for --- everyone has a different opinion of what fun is .....

And of course gulf breezes help cool things down .... the beach is always a little better than inland .... but we won't kid you, the summers are HOT and this is northern florida ... not sure you can escape the heat anywhere in Florida ......

Old 04-09-2008, 03:21 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadiver1973 View Post
Check the following thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...elocation.html

Old 08-26-2014, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,228 times
I live in OK past 5 yrs for family. I've live in 3 countries and 9 states. Considering Emerald Coast. LOVE Honolulu as I lived there 10 yrs in the 90's. I'm looking for that "feel" in Emeradl Coast....any ideas on best town/beach? I'm in my early 60's but feel 40. Need advice - thanks.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,597 times
Cool Should I move to Panama City Beach or Fort Walton Beach?

Please I need advice. I was living in Naples, FL for the past 10 years until Hurricane Irma hit in September of 2017...it devastated Naples and seeing the destruction really terrified me - I lost so many of my personal belongings and the roof tore off the house etc. So I moved to the Tampa area thinking a change would be good and I would feel safer away from the water, However, I have been in Tampa one year and have hated every minute...horrible traffic, no small art festivals, big concrete city feeling - definitely not for me and so different from Naples! Ironically, I found places that I LOVED in the Mexico Beach, FL and the Port St Joe, FL areas several months ago because my lease here is drawing to a close...but we all know how Hurricane Michael essentially eliminated those towns entirely. So here it is January 2019...and this is what I have decided...I DO want to live near a beach again (if I didn't, I would love Mount Dora FL because it is filled with art and antiques...but I would feel landlocked there). I have been comparing Panama City Beach to Fort Walton Beach...big difference in population 12,000 vs. 21,000 - but aside from that, I need first-hand accounts from anyone who is reading my post. For example, I don't like 4-lane roads (just 2 lanes on each side is all I can handle and that is what I had in Naples) - so that's my first concern. I don't need to know about the job market because I'm in my 50's. I love the Arts and anything that has to do with art festivals, crafts, etc etc I don't like heavy traffic, love local shops, don't like malls, would like to be near a Publix, Walgreen's etc though - I really have no idea where to look for a home/rental!...Panama City Beach, Fort Walton Beach, Santa Rosa Beach?? Also - I forgot to mention - I do not drive over bridges - so if I were to choose Niceville, is it near to a beach or would I have to drive over a bridge to get to a beach? I want to be on the beach or several blocks from a beach. Thank you so much to anyone who responds.

Last edited by tropixbeachgirl; 01-15-2019 at 06:13 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 06:43 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropixbeachgirl View Post
Please I need advice. I was living in Naples, FL for the past 10 years until Hurricane Irma hit in September of 2017...it devastated Naples and seeing the destruction really terrified me - I lost so many of my personal belongings and the roof tore off the house etc. So I moved to the Tampa area thinking a change would be good and I would feel safer away from the water, However, I have been in Tampa one year and have hated every minute...horrible traffic, no small art festivals, big concrete city feeling - definitely not for me and so different from Naples! Ironically, I found places that I LOVED in the Mexico Beach, FL and the Port St Joe, FL areas several months ago because my lease here is drawing to a close...but we all know how Hurricane Michael essentially eliminated those towns entirely. So here it is January 2019...and this is what I have decided...I DO want to live near a beach again (if I didn't, I would love Mount Dora FL because it is filled with art and antiques...but I would feel landlocked there). I have been comparing Panama City Beach to Fort Walton Beach...big difference in population 12,000 vs. 21,000 - but aside from that, I need first-hand accounts from anyone who is reading my post. For example, I don't like 4-lane roads (just 2 lanes on each side is all I can handle and that is what I had in Naples) - so that's my first concern. I don't need to know about the job market because I'm in my 50's. I love the Arts and anything that has to do with art festivals, crafts, etc etc I don't like heavy traffic, love local shops, don't like malls, would like to be near a Publix, Walgreen's etc though - I really have no idea where to look for a home/rental!...Panama City Beach, Fort Walton Beach, Santa Rosa Beach?? Also - I forgot to mention - I do not drive over bridges - so if I were to choose Niceville, is it near to a beach or would I have to drive over a bridge to get to a beach? I want to be on the beach or several blocks from a beach. Thank you so much to anyone who responds.
Well a budget would help to eliminate areas, as well as other requirements; apartment, house, yard etc. Santa Rose Beach is $$, FWB beach not so much. But if you lived in FWB you would have to drive over bridges every single day. Especially to get to the beach. There are 5 bridges in the area. Niceville is "near" the beach, but does require a trip over an almost 4 mile bridge. I would seriously suggest looking at a map. The entire areas is surrounded by the gulf, the bay, and various bayous. And there are 4 lane roads everywhere. This is a major tourist area, and the main road (Hwy 98) is currently under construction to widen. Niceville has 2 lane traffic going in both directions, but there is the bridge. If you wanted to avoid the long bridge (mid-bay) to go to the beach you would still have to drive to FWB, and that would require 3 bridges. You could take the long way around, and only hit one bridge to get to Okaloosa Island, which has beaches, but if you want to get to Destin, you have to cross the Destin bridge.

But your biggest stumbling block for this area is "on the beach or several blocks from the beach". Houses on the beach are quite $$$ and are mostly vacation rentals and condos. Okaloosa Island has some older homes across the street, but there are no stores on the Island, except liqueur and gas and beach items!

Panama City Beach used to have the affordable "near the beach" homes, but the rental prices etc of those are going up due to the need for housing in the area. PCB would get you to a Publix, and all the festivals that are in Santa Rosa Beach and the 30a area with only traveling over a very low short bridge.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:49 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropixbeachgirl View Post
I DO want to live near a beach again (if I didn't, I would love Mount Dora FL because it is filled with art and antiques...but I would feel landlocked there). I have been comparing Panama City Beach to Fort Walton Beach...big difference in population 12,000 vs. 21,000 - but aside from that, I need first-hand accounts from anyone who is reading my post. For example, I don't like 4-lane roads (just 2 lanes on each side is all I can handle and that is what I had in Naples) - so that's my first concern. I don't need to know about the job market because I'm in my 50's. I love the Arts and anything that has to do with art festivals, crafts, etc etc I don't like heavy traffic, love local shops, don't like malls, would like to be near a Publix, Walgreen's etc though -
You really need to check out St Augustine which nails your criteria quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida