Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 14,594 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to Florida and I'm looking at the Gulf side, Sugarmill Woods has beautiful homes, as does Brooksville. I have two concerns: diversity and sinkholes.

It seems from my research like there is more diversity and sinkholes in Brooksville, but I'm really leaning towards Sugarmill Woods. We currently live in a part of Delaware that was rural, but the growth is out of control. Can anyone give me recent information about these two areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 07:29 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Sugarmill Woods is 98% white and the average age is 65. If looking for diversity it's probably not the place. Brooksville is an actual town versus a planned community and a good bit more diverse...78.7% White, 19.1% African American, 1% Native American, 1.2% Asian, 2.1% from other races, and 2.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.6% of the population and 22.1% of people were under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 21.7% from 25 to 44, 18.7% from 45 to 64, and 29.7% were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. In terms of sinkholes bear in mind they're rare, even though they get lots of press. Over a 20 square mile or so radius of Brooksville there have been 20 reported sinkhole sites. I'm not a math whiz but would say the odds are much better for other natural hazards/crime than what the sinkhole odds are. Your Environment | Locate Hazardous Events Near You

Old 09-04-2017, 12:25 PM

Thank you!

Old 09-04-2017, 12:29 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,180,183 times
Where are the beautiful homes in Brooksville?

Old 09-04-2017, 05:56 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Girl View Post
We are planning a move to Florida and I'm looking at the Gulf side, Sugarmill Woods has beautiful homes, as does Brooksville. I have two concerns: diversity and sinkholes.

It seems from my research like there is more diversity and sinkholes in Brooksville, but I'm really leaning towards Sugarmill Woods. We currently live in a part of Delaware that was rural, but the growth is out of control. Can anyone give me recent information about these two areas?
It really depends what you are looking for... Is being close to hospitals and shopping important? Where will you be working (unless you are retired)? These and other questions are worth thinking about.

The actual city of Brooksville is more diverse than the outyling unincorporated areas that are also referred to as Brooksville. There are million-dollar plus homes being built in a new golf course development off US41. There are properties with acerage scattered about as well. Again, it all boils down to what you are looking for. You can find places out in the middle of the woods, older homes that are "in town", newer homes in a typical planned housing development, or on a golf course - basically whatever you want it's available.

Good luck.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:02 PM

We're retired, and we are looking to proximity to medical facilities and shopping. Looking for a low crime rate. Not looking for 55+. The houses in Sugarmill Woods are awesome, and priced well, but Brooksville looks like it has nearby restaurants and shopping, and more of a "town" feel.

We will need to take another visit down.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:13 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,785 times
Look all around the general area when you come down, lots of options besides those two places. Don't overlook Weekie Wachee or even Spring Hill. You can be close to shopping, restaurants, and medical facilities but still find a place that's sufficiently tucked away as well.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:15 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,017,907 times
Sugarmill woods is ok, and if you like the houses thats great because those are what you will find all over Cental Florida, they are just your regular "Florida special" split floor plan. .....There are not allot of builders in the area so they pretty much build the same homes everywhere.... but you need to understand the type of neighborhood Sugarmill woods is. It is controled by a very very strict home owners association that will constantly be telling you what you can and cant do so just make sure you understand what you would be buying into before you do......FYI there is not much around Sugarmill Woods besides a grocery store. You have drive all the way to route 50 to find any decent shopping and the hospital.

Last edited by rtandc; 09-08-2017 at 06:56 AM..

Old 09-08-2017, 02:42 PM

This information has been very helpful. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2017, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 41,947 times
I am in the process of buying a house in Sugarmill Woods. I look forward to living there. Strict HOA rules make for a clean and comfortable neighborhood leading to pride of ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida