U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 08:41 AM

259 posts, read 1,007,504 times

Advertisements

I'm an older female who will be retiring in a few short years. I'm thinking of moving to Florida soon. Would it be worth my while to consider living in a mobile home park. Are there any decent mobile home parks that you are aware of?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 10:06 AM

13,495 posts, read 36,079,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermey View Post
I'm an older female who will be retiring in a few short years. I'm thinking of moving to Florida soon. Would it be worth my while to consider living in a mobile home park. Are there any decent mobile home parks that you are aware of?
Which city are you hoping to move to? There are so many mobile home parks down in Fla. and some of them are so nice. They're nothing like the trailer parks of the past. Most of them have pools and beautiful palm trees, etc. AND the 55 plus parks have reasonable rent, too.

Mobile Homes For Sale - 18,306 Available to Sell or Rent
MOBILE HOME NET, Manufactured and Modular Home Marketplace.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:17 AM

6,853 posts, read 21,489,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermey View Post
Do not move into a mobile park, if a hurricane or tornado hits you are going to be worse of than in a townhouse or condo. Buy a condo or a townhouse it will be safer. If you were my parent or grandparent, I wouldn't let you buy a mobile home.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:31 AM

1,770 posts, read 7,958,452 times
I have seen mobile homes get blown away from hurricanes. And during a hurricane, you will have to stay somewhere else for shelter.

Also, it depends on what type of mobile park you're look at. Some are stereotypical run down trailer parks, others are nicer retirement ones for older folks.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:32 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,820,499 times
Gradmallie, a poster on this board, moved into a mobile home park here in North Port and they seem to be pretty happy living there. I can't recall the name of it though.

I would agree with both of the previous posters. Like Jammie said, there are some really nice mobile home parks around the state with tons of amenities. And like doggiebus said, they aren't nearly as safe as a condo or townhome. Often times you can find a condo or townhome that is just as nice as a mobile and for roughly the same money. Every time there is a strong hurricane, the mobiles are the first to get evacuated, maybe something to think about.

There were several mobile home parks that got entirely blown away in Charley.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:46 AM

13,495 posts, read 36,079,479 times
Yes, it's kind of a Catch-22. I've seen mobile homes down there that are from back in the 60s and they've withstood the worst hurricane year in Florida's history.

One of the bad things that could happen is that the park owners could sell out to a developer and you'd have to move. BUT a bad thing with a condo is that you could be assessed special assessment fees that could run into several thousand dollars and you'd have to pay it within one year.

I just personally like the fact that there are people in the world who are moving and looking for something affordable. Many of us don't want a three hundred thousand dollar mortgage and the people in the 55 plus parks have already had their homes and know the costs and are looking for a simpler way of life. IMHO that's refreshing. You probably won't see many postings from those people here because they're out enjoying themselves and aren't worried about the foreclosures and the high taxes and the high insurance, etc.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:25 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,078,049 times
Friends of mine have a nice place in Hawthorne just south of Leesburg.
It is in Central Florida, so the threat of Hurricanes is somewhat diminished, being farther away from either coast.
They have a website.......many nice amenities plus a real sense of community and many activities.

Frank D.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,636 times
I'm about to move to a senior park on the east coast. They have been there since the 1980's and seem to have done alright. I'm hoping to have a very relaxed time and meet lots of people anh have the ability to travel when I want. I have visited there a couple times and think I will really love it...it is on the lake..walk outside the sliding doors and there it is...keep your fingers crossed for me.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:31 PM

652 posts, read 1,564,698 times
Highland Village Photo Album

this is the nicest one I've seen in south Florida. It looks like a little neighborhood rather than a mobile home park.

This link with maps if you zoom in you can see the area https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...8,0.02547&z=16

Old 11-11-2012, 01:21 AM

35,316 posts, read 48,715,532 times
You may want to check on the potential mobile home parks residency status as some (Not all)of those mobile home parks can be somewhat vacant/deserted for many months a year as snowbirds only use them for the winter months, granted they can get blown away in a big wind but they are a lot cheaper to replace than a house.

Last edited by jambo101; 11-11-2012 at 01:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida