Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 06:37 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The question is unanswerable unless you knew the mental and financial state of everyone.
This

People have jobs they can't risk losing by being gone for days.

I have a friend who had to be back to work Monday, right after the storm.
I had to be back to work Tuesday.

It's like when there's a major blizzard up north...
Companies don't just shut down for days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 07:53 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
This might be a answer to your question:

44 percent of Americans couldn't cover an unexpected $400 expense

Why do you exclude food costs though? It is a vital expense and the state of Florida just gave people on food stamps their monthly allotment upfront to replace all food that will become ruined because of Irma.
The problem is you can't buy McDonald's or a rotissiere chicken at Publix with food stamps so lower income people have to use cash to eat out unless they can find somewhere to cook or heat up canned foods.
I heard on the news they waived the rules for hot food with food stamps right after the storm. I don't know if McD would accept them, but for supermarkets that sell prepared foods you could use them. The problem was that all their frozen and fresh foods were ruined when the power went out.

Once the power came back I went to McDonald's and they were only serving at the drive thru with a very limited menu of only hamburgers or double hamburgers, no cheese. McNuggets. fries and one or two other things.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:27 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I heard on the news they waived the rules for hot food with food stamps right after the storm. I don't know if McD would accept them, but for supermarkets that sell prepared foods you could use them. The problem was that all their frozen and fresh foods were ruined when the power went out.

Once the power came back I went to McDonald's and they were only serving at the drive thru with a very limited menu of only hamburgers or double hamburgers, no cheese. McNuggets. fries and one or two other things.
Here on the coast where we had whole areas without electricity for 5-10 days-even gas stations, grocery stores, and fast food places were closed-food stamps weren't doing much good for the people without cars to get to businesses that had electricity or generators.

We went into a Burger King 3 days after the storm and were greeted by" We don't have whoppers. We are out of fries, and only have chicken or whopper juniors and some types of soft drinks." Even yesterday when I grocery shopped we still have some empty shelves and empty freezers. Still having shortages and some things are just not available for delivery yet, according to my son who is a manager.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:10 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
This might be a answer to your question:

44 percent of Americans couldn't cover an unexpected $400 expense

Why do you exclude food costs though? It is a vital expense and the state of Florida just gave people on food stamps their monthly allotment upfront to replace all food that will become ruined because of Irma.
The problem is you can't buy McDonald's or a rotissiere chicken at Publix with food stamps so lower income people have to use cash to eat out unless they can find somewhere to cook or heat up canned foods.
I did see signs in some of the grocery stores, and in Walmart, that they would allow the use of food stamps for ready to eat foods after hurricane Irma. The signs announcing this also had a deadline (think I saw 9-30 as that deadline date) to be able to use the food stamps for these items.

But there is also nothing wrong with having to heat up canned foods, many of us have had to do that at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida