Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 03:52 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
When this " apocalyptic,once-in-a-lifetime thing " blows through Florida tomorrow a lot of people are going to get up and think " was that it ? "
Yet again I think the broadcasters will be culpable for creating fear and trepidation to chase ratings.
I've spent most of the day watching CNN reporters heroically standing out in windy conditions and getting wet while screaming hysterically for people to run for their lives yet in reality if they took a couple of steps forward to the shelter of their hotel balcony they'd have not much to scream about.
The reality is if you've got a solidly-built home or take sufficient precautions - like going to a shelter if you live in a mobile home - most modern buildings can withstand a hurricane.
Here's my prediction - power will be out for a day or two,folk will clean up the palm fronds from their front lawn and mop up some damp spots and by Tues/Weds the situation will be back to normal.
Meanwhile in less reported news more than 1,200 people have been killed and thousands more have been displaced in floods in India,Nepal and Bangladesh within the past month.
Now THAT is a natural disaster on a biblical scale not some jerk with a CNN cap pointing at a swaying palm tree.
I a thinking the same. Muscleboy Chris Cuomo has been standing outside during the whole thing and he's still standing- LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 04:09 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Yes so obvious. First... the track was wrong. Still wrong as recently as a few hours ago. They should just throw up their hands and say "we don't know". Then they use words like catastrophic. Err.. what? It is Florida. They know what they are doing. In addition I think 24 hour news networks have ruined these things because the people out there are so desperate to have something to say for 24 hours they will literally use every word they can to describe it. Usually "incredible"
How was the track wrong? Explain that to me? By a few miles? WTF? They did a GREAT JOB with the track. What they missed was the drop into Cuba which weakened the storm considerably. It was just a little more SW than expected and it made a big difference.

Last edited by jp03; 09-10-2017 at 04:38 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 04:09 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
I think I prefer to brag about liking the heat than being the world's greatest Corvette-owning,gun-toting,amateur weather forecaster.Each and every day.
At least i get the weather right dwight and do not drink on the beach like you do all day ray.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:17 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
At least i get the weather right dwight and do not drink on the beach like you do all day ray.
You get it right because you mostly say " Today is going to be hot. "
In Florida.
You don't say.
Ray.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
You get it right because you mostly say " Today is going to be hot. "
In Florida.
You don't say.
Ray.
Gonna be windy also mendy.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:22 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Charley was a bigger boss than Irma. Once Cuba came in Irmas belly she had enough.
This was worse for south fl than charley....Will easily be more costly

Old 09-10-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
That was a tiny storm with the core winds only about 30 miles from the center. We got nothing from it in Tampa. This storm is 5 times bigger. Staring to nasty up at my place now north of Tampa.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:08 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Yes so obvious. First... the track was wrong. Still wrong as recently as a few hours ago. They should just throw up their hands and say "we don't know". Then they use words like catastrophic. Err.. what? It is Florida. They know what they are doing. In addition I think 24 hour news networks have ruined these things because the people out there are so desperate to have something to say for 24 hours they will literally use every word they can to describe it. Usually "incredible"

Have you got ANYTHING right in entire life. I mean we need to compare before anyone talks your opinion seriously. That is fair correct? Right?

Old 09-10-2017, 06:10 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times
It's better to report worst case scenarios than catch everyone surprised... this is what you called first world problems... "heyyy my roof didn't blow off and half my family didn't die, damn youuuuuuuuu!!!! next time you better guarantee someone dies in my household!''

Old 09-10-2017, 06:12 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Depends on how you define "worse" if damage costs then yes. Charley packed way more of an intense devastating punch. A real cat 4 storm not a cat 1 parading around as a "biblical" storm.

Irma is a poody cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida