Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
It's come to the point with me that I feel you take your life in your hands every time you are in a motor vehicle.
Honestly, that should be all of our thoughts. Defensive driving can save your life. Expect everyone around d you to do the unexpected. It almost like picking up a gun. Assume it's loaded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 05:27 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
I lived in Miami-Dade for 40+ years. Most of those years, I had a 22 mile (each way) commute. I said a silent prayer every morning that I would not be in an accident. The last few years that I worked, I left home at 5:00 am to avoid heavy traffic. I left work at 2:00 pm. Even driving to the grocery, I felt anxious while driving.

I never was involved in an accident and consider myself extremely fortunate. Thank God, I am now living where the drivers are aware, polite, considerate and use their turn signals!!!

Old 10-29-2017, 09:07 PM

106 posts, read 109,577 times
Quote:
It is management by crisis. The towns and cities have mostly put their heads in the sand and said 'we will not plan to have growth' while the greedy town councils are approving development as fast as possible.

PERFECT way to explain something I've been struggling to put into words. My county has a 2040 "Vision" mapped out that promotes foresight when planning growth, but they're not paying any attention to it as loads of new developments are built to their own individual standards without any changes to infrastructure to support their projects.

I recently learned our county commissioners may approve development along a road that will be impacted as long as that road is ON THE COUNTY'S LIST to be improved. So developers can go ahead with their projects without improving the road, and the county can continue to promise to fix it for another several years.

This is my biggest factor in wanting to leave. I don't want to raise my kids in a place where our local government can't make responsible decisions that favor quality of life for those of us who live here. Instead, they allow development to run rampant, leaving us fighting to get from one place to another safely on overly congested roadways that can't handle the growth (and daily fatal accidents prove that doesn't always happen). At the same time, our school district is going broke. Other places are getting smart and raising impact fees on new development and using it to help fund schools, but apparently that concept is lost on our commission, so we're stuck with some of the most statistically dangerous roads in the nation, along with budget cuts in our schools as the area just keeps growing and growing.

Last edited by Restless in Florida; 10-29-2017 at 09:19 PM..

Old 10-30-2017, 04:15 AM

835 posts, read 476,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
You make no sense.
Just because one is unable to understand something doesn't make it nonsensical.

Quote:
I try not to judge, but it's people that drive like you that I don't feel any sorrow for when you crash and fly through the windshield... Kinda like the same people who protest in the middle of a road.. It's actually very entertaining watching Youtube video's of protestors getting run over, as well as videos of people crashing their nice sports cars when they treat public roads like a race track.
Have to say you'll be waiting a while because your opportunity to judge me will never come to fruition.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:40 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Just because one is unable to understand something doesn't make it nonsensical.

Have to say you'll be waiting a while because your opportunity to judge me will never come to fruition.
Well I have not seen you drive, but based off what you said on this thread thankfully not everyone drives with your attitude.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Well I have not seen you drive, but based off what you said on this thread thankfully not everyone drives with your attitude.
Oh, my attitude is so horrible, how could anyone want to be effiecient and have a "Get it done as fast and accurate as possible without wasting any undue time." mindset? Perhaps you like being stuck on the highway for hours, but not me. While everyone else is inching along the highway being "safe drivers" (read: road vigilantes) during rush hour, I've already been at home for hours, relaxing with a cup of coffee and the evening news.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Oh, my attitude is so horrible, how could anyone want to be effiecient and have a "Get it done as fast and accurate as possible without wasting any undue time." mindset? Perhaps you like being stuck on the highway for hours, but not me. While everyone else is inching along the highway being "safe drivers" (read: road vigilantes) during rush hour, I've already been at home for hours, relaxing with a cup of coffee and the evening news.

Enjoy your time at home relaxing, because something tells me with your aggressive, impatient driving you'll be 6-feet under "relaxing" earlier as well.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:43 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
I can get tailgated on a two lane road doing over the speed limit. Seems like some of the younger folks need some patience. We do have a lot of transplants, they come from all over and bring their bad driving habits with them. I have seen a lot of craziness....

Old 10-31-2017, 06:41 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
Oh wow you must have a helicopter car that can fly over all those smucks on the highway who are just inching along..... jealous...

Old 10-31-2017, 06:51 AM

One reckless driving behavior I have not seen pointed out is slowing down or even coming to a stop when you are merging onto an interstate highway. It makes it very difficult to join the flow of traffic and could cause a serious pileup if drivers behind the snail switch lanes too early to get out from behind them and end up getting smashed by a car doing 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida