Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:23 AM

57 posts, read 124,708 times

Advertisements

There's 1.25 acres for sale near me, right in the area we want to live. Going to see it tomorrow, but from the photo it looks cleared. It has no utilities. Am I correct in thinking it's about $5000 for each of those?

It looks weird though. It's the back part of someone's property (of 5 acres), so you're basically buying their backyard, and it looks like you have to go through their gate to get to it. I don't think I'd like that.

We'd like to build a small house, which the realtor says it's ok for. Need to find builders. I'm thinking the cost of improving the land, then having the house built, will push the total price way over what it will be worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 09:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,081,972 times
I'd be wary if you were dependent on someone else's access to get to your lot. At a minimum you'd need a legal ingress/egress easement, ideally in the deed itself. Could they carve out enough land at one side to provide enough space for your own driveway and public road access so you're not landlocked?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:30 AM

57 posts, read 124,708 times
The realtor says it's a 25ft easement. You mean can they carve out land that would be included in the land for sale? The entrance to the driveway looks shard with one gate. It's so dumb. I'm seeing it tomorrow though with the realtor, maybe it's not what I think.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 10,424 times
i dont really understand what is going on here, so i want a director that is going to direct me on how to use this site

Old 10-18-2017, 10:58 AM

378 posts, read 480,173 times
Before diving into utilities - Check the deed/property appraiser map to see if it has legal access (I.E. Your own land all the way up to the road), if it doesn't have this then you should run.

Next - Check to see if the deed has any conditions you have to adhere to (I.E. Only 1 house per 5 acres), if you can't adhere to them then run.

I would advise you get your own agent, and not trust what the seller and their agent may be saying as they may not truly know.

As far as costs, that would all depend on the size of the house, location and etc.

I.E. How far does the company need to drill to get good water (And ensure you can get it by not being surrounded by others septic tanks)?
How many bedrooms will the septic be serving.
Electricity would depend on nearest service entrance and how far they have to run the cable.

Best bet would be to contact the utility company for a quote along with local contractors for the septic/well.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:15 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,667,874 times
In addition to having your own agent, find a real estate attorney of your own (your agent can give you names) who has familiarity with raw land. Don't rely on your agent, a builder, the seller, or the seller's agent for any significantly important info because none of them will be as trustworthy or knowledgeable as your own real estate attorney....at least, in theory.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:05 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,999,380 times
First thing to check is- what is the zoning. If it is one unit per 5 acres, the sale would be a non compliant situation. If the proposed 'driveway' is a shared thing, walk away. There will be disputes. Where is their well. Check with county building department the distance required for a septic field. Fill- You will need many truck loads. Electric- go to the field office of the electric company to find out the cost to install poles, wire, transformer. [very expensive]

Old 10-19-2017, 07:02 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,394,558 times
Water well can run around $5K. Septic can be much more depending on the requirements. Electric can run tens of thousands depending on how far it has to run. Ask the electric provider as to probable cost.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 AM

17,453 posts, read 38,829,694 times
I would find land elsewhere - too many potential problems with this. Why would you want to build in someone's "backyard" anyway?????

Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,081,972 times
Looking forward to the feedback from OP on this. Agree with everyone that it’s just asking for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida