Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,712 times

Advertisements

Moved here a year ago. My hair has been falling out and breaking off like crazy. No thyroid problem. Put a filter on the shower and really no help. Hormones in check. So what could be the problem? Don't sit in the sun. Really at a loss. Even take vitamins for hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 12:04 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanp08 View Post
Moved here a year ago. My hair has been falling out and breaking off like crazy. No thyroid problem. Put a filter on the shower and really no help. Hormones in check. So what could be the problem? Don't sit in the sun. Really at a loss. Even take vitamins for hair.

Same thing with my wife's hair. She's had a physical and is healthy.

It's at the point where I've been trying to gently suggest to her to shave her head or at least go with a shorter hairdo.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:38 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
Have you tested your water for hard water? You may need a water softener. If there are too many minerals in your water, it can act with shampoos to damage hair, not to mention your pipes and appliances.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:50 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Genetics>, Is this common in your family, either side?

Old 10-27-2017, 08:31 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
It must be Florida! - I've only been here 45-years and my hair is also falling out -- or at least very thin on the top. Surely, it's entirely coincidental that my maternal grandfather and his father experienced a similar hair loss (even though they never lived in Florida).

Old 10-28-2017, 07:52 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Florida is not the cause-unless maybe iivng an area with contaminated wells, swimming in chemicals more than up North, etc. If it just started since being in Florida and scalp has been tested to see if follicles are not closing off from heredity, I would check first with hair care changes.

Do you perm or dye your hair. Chemicals from both those can cause hair damage and loss. Have you changed to new shampoos,conditioners, or hairsprays? Using heat from styling irons,rollers,hair dryers can cause damage or breakage-even the wrong brush can.

You can usually tell if it is something to do with over styling etc by whether or not the little bulb like thingy from your scalp is attached to the hair. If you see that on most of the hairs coming out, it is due more to a health reason usually.

It can be caused by an overdose of some vitamins in our bodies. Or it can be caused by an iron deficiency. Are you going through perimenopause or menopause which sometimes causes hair loss because of the hormonal imbalances during that time of life?

Has there been stress or surgery in your life in the last year? That can cause hair loss too.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:47 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Wished mine would fall out. Tried of cutting my hair blare...

Old 10-28-2017, 09:57 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
It seems to effect older retired men more. I expect to see Morgan & Morgan with a class action lawsuit very soon.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:14 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I'm starting to get acid reflux, but it has nothing to do with me moving to Florida. Sorry about the hair loss, it sucks getting old.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:42 PM

782 posts, read 759,032 times
Rick Scott is Bald, so I guess that answers your question.

In all seriousness, I would look at stress when I lived in SoFla I was under a lot of stress which made my hair fall out a little more than average. That's why I moved, SoFla wasnt' worth it to my health, my Wife knew it was time to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida