Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:54 PM

4,892 posts, read 14,083,312 times

Advertisements

It's fine to have what my friends & I call "a pity party day" when they turn into weeks, not good...however, I can not stress that fact that you are not alone...medical science has, however, turned "depression" into probably the second most over used term besides "stressed"...

Unfortunately, we just can't be happy all the time, sometimes our moods can be seasonal...but the thing to remember, you are not alone....sometimes it's justtime to go to bed to go to sleep, wake up & deal with things on a "new day basis" other times, exercise, maybe at the gym, where people are making a conscious effort to improve their well beings helps, sometimes calling a friend, sometimes a xanax...sometime a shot of jack...

Sometimes getting yourself out to volunteer in some kind of helpful manner gets you with other like-minded people...

What ever floats your boat!

Music also does wonder for the spirit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 03:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I wonder if this is seasonal affective disorder?

LOL and people in Florida say there's basically no such thing as seasonal affective disorder where it's sunny and warm all winter.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
I know it exists. When the rain came and it cooled off a bit I instantly felt beter. Perhaps someone will do a study about seasonal affective disorder in south Florida. I think we humans, especially those from European or other temperate climate descent need seasons to feel good. Just like we need sleep to manufacture hormones and repair damage, we need cold as well as spring and summer. I hate boring weather, and when it is over 80 degrees and sunny, with no rain it gets very frustrating. Everything turns brown outside and I feel tired, while constantly sweating. In summer our variety comes from thunderstorms, those years we did not get many (1986) were some of the most miserable summers ever.

Definately the lies and extortion directed to my parents by Team Metro have lowered my expectations of human kindness. In addition a friend is in turbulence at home due to financial problems and his wife (who he loves) wants out. There is nothing that I can do as the whole concept of love based on attraction is foreign to me. When children are involved it takes it to a whole new level. I do feel concern nonetheless.

It is surprising that several posters here have shown concern for me, a person you do not know. This shows that even in Florida there are those who want to see others happy and healthy.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:54 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,274,613 times
Either way you look at it being to hot or too cold stinks and can be depressing.I love the warm weather but have to admit when I was in South Carolina from about the end of June until the end of August I would stay indoors alot...it was just toooo hot.
Now I have been in Minnesota for 2 months and when we moved here the temps were in the negatives and single digits,we are now getting high 30's and mid 40's and it feels great and spring fever has kicked in.The strange thing is the 40's in SC felt excruciatingly cold.
But I welcome the 80s and 90s...Bring it on.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:04 AM

436 posts, read 1,352,906 times
There is no right or wrong opinion here. Some love the weather constantly warm to hot, and others prefer the temps colder with more seasonal changes. And sometimes we just need a change. Tallrick, I think if you could scrape up the money, you need to vacation somewhere north where the break in hot temps will rejuvenate you. Or if you have packed away a good chunck of change, how about a cruise to Alaska? Any kind of change of scenery should help your mood. We all need to get away once in awhile. You work hard; you deserve it.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:39 PM

298 posts, read 701,629 times
Red face weather and depression

I am sorry for anyone suffering from depression as it can be debilitating. But I suspect it's a lot more than just the weather. Right now I'm sitting in the Tampa airport waiting to fly home to WI where it snowed another FOOT on Good Friday. I guess we can all get bummed out by the same weather day after day but it's hard to feel sad for someone living in a warm climate where one doesn't fear falling on ice, shoveling 15 inches of snow or trying to get out in -20 degrees with snowbanks taller than one's head! Would much prefer paying for AC vs. heating and wearing 3 layers of clothes inside because it's so expensive. It has been so nice this week to actually see blue sky when it isn't below zero. And sunshine!! Will be relocating as soon as we are able!

f

Old 03-23-2008, 04:50 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
I have never travelled except for work, or to visit a friend. As for a vacation, I have not had one in years. When I did take a vacation it was always here, working on the house or going boating/fishing. A change of scenery would be an improvement, but the travelling and expense does not appeal to me. As for temperatures, I would get tired of constant cold as well, and do not like temps below 35 (my "cold" zone) any more than I like temps over 80. The rain I do like and as for snow, I have yet to experience it in any quantity. Dealing with temps 0f 38 is a lot more enjoyable than 98. Even living here I can see the difference in mood from home to Miami. It's a factor of environment.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:57 AM

20 posts, read 54,938 times
Maybe you need to escape to the mountains for a "rejuve-fix" ... trees and thinner air do great things for the mind and body! Just got back! Saw a bit of snow, got chapped lips from 21 degrees with windchill factor of who knows what. Hiked a bit, sloshed a bit, the doggies where enjoying the last of their winter fur before their summer do'.... Actually enjoyed every minute of it... 'cause I was on vacation!!! Yes, those of us who living in "paradise" need a break too!

Old 03-24-2008, 12:03 PM

20 posts, read 54,938 times
Forgot to say this... travel doesn't have to be expensive. I'm over 50 and we will take the car and camp if needed. We actually rented a car in Oregon one time and camped Eugene OR, north to Victoria. It was like camping in Sherwood Forest!! It is hard if you are clinically depressed to think about these things... not only seasonally down... go for it... even Steinhatchy or Jensen Beach might be a good change for you. But I think Mountains are the answer to sea level drearies.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:43 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,195,321 times
People also tend to forget that without alot of rain most grass and trees turn brown and ugly. Top that off with unbearable heat all the time and you have the perfect recipe for seasonal depression or stress or whatever you want to call it. Last year was very bad and we hardly got any rain and everything looked disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida