Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 02:36 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
What about those that decided to settle here, but later changed their mind? That does happen and that is what this thread is about. I was just inquiring where people who don't want to live here anymore move to. If someone considers "bashing", telling what they don't like about an area and/or state, then that's up to them, but I'm not bashing.

You like it, or even love it, here, that's up to you. But, the replies on this thread are from those that don't.
I didn't think you were bashing Florida when I read your thread. You shared your story about learning it wasn't the place for you in the long run. Nothing wrong with that. I will say, though, the west has a lot going for it and is a totally different vibe than the east. We briefly lived in Florida (Daytona) and did not care to the city, but enjoyed the state and what it offered in terms of recreation/entertainment.

However, after nearly 20 years in the west (AZ), I was contemplating moving back east where we grew up. We looked at Miami (which I loved but my wife hated) Fort Lauderdale (which she loved) and Tampa. I was nearly ready to pull the trigger...then the hurricanes hit! We also wrestled with things we enjoy about living in the west (Mountains, low to no humidity, wide open space, reasonable cost of living). Florida, for us, will remain a fun place where we visit friends and family.

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 12-16-2017 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 02:41 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I lived in Miami Dade county for 43 years. I worked in a beautiful spot and enjoyed my 40+ year career. After retirement, I moved back to where I grew up (22 years), Lafayette, Indiana. I am very happy up here. Friendly people, much lower cost of living, four seasons, good drivers, appreciation of nature, camping, hiking, rivers and creeks, wonderful festivals, nice parks, fantastic university (Purdue). I know that the Midwest is not for everyone, but I missed it terribly while I was in Florida.
I really liked Miami when we visited in spite of friends and others who absolutely hated it. Seriously considered moving there but after digging a little deeper I saw what people were saying about the low pay vs high cost of living. When I get my finances in place I will consider buying a small condo there as a second property.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:28 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I moved to California (San Francisco) and Alaska (Wasilla)... I keep coming back to Florida (Orlando, but I also loved South Florida too around Delray Beach to Fort Lauderdale). I know for a fact now that I prefer hot weather, tropical feeling landscapes, nice homes etc.
My guess is you can afford a lifestyle that makes it easier to like Florida.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:42 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
What I was thinking also. But, with us, we just don't like living here. Turns out that it just isn't our type of lifestyle.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:31 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
We're looking at Tennessee but it's still a few more yrs until we can move.
Our plan is to live there 9 months every yr and spend summer living with family in South America where the seasons are flipped.
Nothing like enjoying winter in August lol

Old 12-18-2017, 11:38 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
We could afford it just fine. Our quality of life is better not there though. The weather made it unbearable.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:39 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Once we leave here, we won't return. No reason to. Wife's brother (my BIL) left Florida (Baca Raton) this past Sept. He definitely won't be back. He lived in Florida longer than we have, but told us "Florida is just too expensive, especially to live in a decently safe area."
I urge family to visit us. Not the other way around. My sister moved to NC a few months before we did. She recently had to go back for a week to take care of some business and from the min she got off the plane till she left she hated every second.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I urge family to visit us. Not the other way around. My sister moved to NC a few months before we did. She recently had to go back for a week to take care of some business and from the min she got off the plane till she left she hated every second.
But, why does she hate it that much?

Old 12-18-2017, 12:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
But, why does she hate it that much?
People are different.

You will also see cost of living mentioned a lot. That is a legitimate reason for avoiding popular areas. They cost more.

If you cannot make enough money you have to live where the COL is lower or find a way to improve your financial condition. This is not just the case in FL, but everywhere popular. Life is not what it used to be.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
People are different.

You will also see cost of living mentioned a lot. That is a legitimate reason for avoiding popular areas. They cost more.

If you cannot make enough money you have to live where the COL is lower or find a way to improve your financial condition. This is not just the case in FL, but everywhere popular. Life is not what it used to be.

Well, from living in just south of Denver, CO for 5 1/2 years, we have found out just how different people are here. To us, just not nearly as friendly.

We could afford living in the house we bought in Parker, CO in 2004, because wife and I had descent paying jobs AND it was just her and I.......no kids or family living with us. It was in a very nice/safe area, but I had to drive some 28 miles to downtown Denver to work. Had to get up each morning (Mon thru Fri) at 5:15 AM to be to work at 7AM.

Now we are living in a descent 2-bedroom apt. on the Southside of Jax, just north of the Avenues Mall. IOW, a nice/safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida