Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 04:25 PM

828 posts, read 692,451 times

Advertisements

If you need convincing, Florida isn't for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 04:33 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
If you need convincing, Florida isn't for you.
Good point unless a specific issue is a problem and is not properly understood.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:36 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You are correct. I will rarely be in Orlando. NSB has great beaches, is not crowded, mild traffic, enough restaurants and easy access to the shopping areas of Port Orange and Daytona, yet far enough away to avoid their problems. I am in NSB now to check on my home construction.
Port Orange traffic is shocking these days. A few decades ago, it was literally nothing but fields now it is mega new strip malls all over the place

Old 12-30-2017, 09:20 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Florida is a sunny place........for shady people!

I do like this video to on people moving to FL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg
Thanks for posting my video! Nice to see it is still making the rounds after almost 8 years.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:15 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Thanks for posting my video! Nice to see it is still making the rounds after almost 8 years.
Your video is on point and fantastic

Old 12-30-2017, 10:17 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Your video is on point and fantastic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post

I love that video, it really shows the mindset of most of the people that are trying to relocate their problems to a FL zip code!

I think the software company that made that is gone so your video can't be updated or replicated but it is a fantastic video!

Old 12-30-2017, 10:45 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I love that video, it really shows the mindset of most of the people that are trying to relocate their problems to a FL zip code!

I think the software company that made that is gone so your video can't be updated or replicated but it is a fantastic video!
Yes they are long gone. I actually got the idea from a similar one done for Alaska. The issues are eerily similar.

Here is one someone else did for Miami:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QvbX_FkkGgM" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvbX_FkkGgM

Old 12-30-2017, 11:59 AM

782 posts, read 759,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Still cheap compared to San Diego though
No, it's not "Cheap" compared to here, I already debunked that theory. Sure you can buy a house for a lot less $ maybe not in the best part of Delray, but that's about it and unless you are bringing a lot of cash from a imported source or lucked out and landed one of the small handful of professions there, you will likely never be able to afford to buy a SFH there or afford the property taxes and insurance that goes along with it.

The misnomer that FL is "Cheap"does not apply to South Florida with the poor salaries and very high cost of living that exists there.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
It never will, but it is a LOT like Newport Beach in the late 60's and early 70's. I know I was there in OC and graduated from Newport Harbor High.

Newport Beach had rich and famous people then, but in general it did not mean that much to them or the rest of us. It was laid back and friendly and what you wore or what car you drove was meaningless. Just a nice beach community. I doubt NSB will ever become the mess NB is now.
Looks like and is like are two things, FL and CA only share palm trees that's where the comparison ends.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Air quality is better than it was in the past, and I know I grew up in SoCal and have lived there for 55 years. However bit is still bad. Check airnow.gov every day for a while and you will see the difference. Note yellow is not viewed as bad and it is if it is like that day after day after day after day after .... well that is SoCal. Green in the middle range is good and even at the upper green level say 48 or 49 it ain't good. The yellow would be like having a mild headache in the morning. No big deal if once a month. However if day after day after day, you have a bad problem. Same with the air and especially for children and older folk like me.

Everybody complains about the costs in SoCal and the pay is low for the costs they must pay. Birth rate is down as well. Yes So FL is not good and is a lot like LA. I would not live in either. I and my wife have spent years looking to move and I have been in SoCal many times and have business there. If I had a real choice I would move back to OC, probably San Clemente or Aliso Viejo or maybe Dana Point.

Work is not an issue for me, I can pay cash for a home in either State and have a nice income and part of it comes from Royalties that grow each year, for unique technology I have created.

We finally settled on NSB as it has most of what we want and after living in several Southern States I can handle the humidity just fine. If you enjoy SoCal, good for you. If you can afford it, even better for you. Nowhere is Paradise, so we each must decide what is best for ourselves.
You say "everyone complains" but I'm not hearing it here at all, that's in public or at work or from people we have met, odd isnt' it? Yet when I lived in FL that's all I heard from friends, co-workers and people in public, on how expensive it is in SoFla. My co-workers at work complained daily about the COL and how **** poor the salaries were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida