Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 01:11 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times

Advertisements

I've posted on the real estate forum, but since the home is in Florida, I'd love to also get any input from someone who bought a similar home in Florida (did you run into subsequent problems post-purchase?).

Here are the details: an otherwise very nice, well-maintained concrete block attached home (so shared walls, but no one above or below) in Florida where the seller (long-time owner occupant) has indicated on the disclosure (after checking off that there are no active termites or termite damage) that one room of the home was treated preventively for termites several years earlier. (Because the home is block, I doubt there have been subsequent inspections, termite bond, etc.--most likely just a one-shot because of whatever observations triggered it several years ago.) I would of course get an inspection, including pest inspection, but I know things can be missed...

The building structure will be the responsibility of the association, so I would not be able to decide myself to get a termite bond as a precaution--it would probably be a situation where I could get post-purchase inspections from time to time at my own expense but would need the association's involvement/agreement to actually do any subsequent treatment if any problem was found.

To say that finding a decent place in a lower price range in Florida these days is challenging is an understatement. I hate to pass on it. But I also can't afford to make a major mistake. Any advice/experiences to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 07:30 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
If you plan on getting a mortgage, your morgage lender will require a pest inspection. The pest inspection will reveal any obvious signs of termites like mud tunnels on the foundation. Ask a local realtor whether termites are a issue in that area. Ask the owner what happened and what the repairs were.

We have a block home and haven't been bothered by termites but we live beachside and termites might not like our salty sandy area. The area you are looking at could be different. I don't see a lot of material termites would like to eat in our block home. The home you are looking at could be different.

I like block houses, they have thermal mass that keeps them cooler in the summer. Good luck house hunting.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:55 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Get a home inspection yourself. Termites can eat up the inside of a block home. I have seen them just eaten up, termite debris along all walls. Just because it is block, it is no assurance.

Now you say the structure is the responsibility of the association. Unless you are buying a site condo (check the definition) you will be responsible,for the structure, with the association handling the paint and roof, possibly windows. Don't assume that because the development handles exterior maintenance that it will handle the structure. Read the documents carefully.

Good luck.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 4,659 times
I would find a good termite/wdo inspector. The termites and carpenter ants down here are no joke.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:41 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
My realtor friend told me there are two types of termites in Florida. Homes with termites and homes that have yet to have termites.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:34 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My realtor friend told me there are two types of termites in Florida. Homes with termites and homes that have yet to have termites.
Exactly. You will at some point in time most likely get termites and need to have your house tented. It's no big deal if it is found early and treated. I would not be concerned with simply the fact that a house you are looking at previously had termites as long as you have a thorough inspection that finds no current infestation and no structural damage from past infestations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida