Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:47 PM

168 posts, read 762,924 times

Advertisements

in re: crime

gainesville always had a high "reported" crime index - even compared to miami. accent on "reported." this can construe to "acual" on those indexes. at least this is the way it was explained to us as students in the mid-70s when sleepy little gville (pre MTV and food franchises) topped the FBI reported crimes index. a report to 911 that someone is being assaulted or a house is being broken into doesn't mean that those crimes actually happened - they were reported however and those reports go into the makeup of the FBI crime index.

it's not that it doesn't exist, and it surely does in gainesville, but as i've previously posted in the 17 years i lived there as an adult i had exactly NO incidents of crime to me or my person or my property. nothing. and i rented apts and a house all over gville from south to north.

i can't even recall coworkers or friends mentioning a house break in, a bodily crime, a holdup. i was friends with a coworker for 12 years - she lived in Deer Run (older northwest housing development on millhopper road) in a nice house. at no time, did she ever experience break in or house property or car crime.

there was the anomaly of danny rolling, a transient psychopath from louisiana, who came to gville and proceeded to horribly kill five students. i lived in the southwest student section at that time but was more afraid of my reactionary neighbors and their guns than i was of an "unknown" (at the time) killer. seriously.

i lived for eight years in an upscale apt complex in the northwest and two years before that 10 blocks away in a lower scale complex where a lot of students lived (community college students). the only thing i can think of is loud music from a neighbor at the low scale complex that directly affected me (walls were thin.)

i took to walking very late at night in my upscale complex and surrounding neighborhood since i had an upside down schedule and needed the exercise, among other things. and i'm talking LATE....midnight, 1 a.m., 2 a.m. - all hours. it was glorious. i never once felt afraid or threatened (very few cars on the neighborhood road) but i walked in the middle of the road and carried a flashlight.

the southwest section is populated by a UF student population and i am not sure if i would walk around those complexes at 2 a.m. since there are so many people coming and going at all hours. much more dense. but i've certainly driven in those neighborhoods after dark and didn't feel afraid.

downtown is a great place to sit outside in summer at Emiliano's (i left in 2003, i hope its still there), and have a drink or a coffee or dinner. i was never panhandled sitting there, but i did run into lots of friends walking by.

this was my experience. others may have their own to report, which could be quite different. but one of the reasons i moved back to gville was i could maneuver the city quickly, i didn't feel crushed like a big city made me feel (miami), i didn't fear crime - it felt like a community. it actually felt like miami from the 50s and 60s.

gville is getting bigger and bigger - there is the constant struggle between growth and no growth - a lot of residents dont' want it turned into another miami or orlando. but a lot of developers DO.

it could be a lot worse of a city, but even when i moved to eugene in fall 2003, i didn't think "wow, i wonder how the crime is." you can be as afraid as you want to be - or not. just take your precautions against crime in gville and in any city you would want to live or visit.

now if i was moving to detroit or chicago - or any megalopolis, i might think: "crime? hmmmm. i wonder...." LOL.

Last edited by florigidge; 01-23-2007 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida