Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,127 times

Advertisements

This year has been one of the best years for comfortable weather that I can remember. At least in Orlando it did not get hot until late May, and it was dry heat at that. That is very late compared to most years. Only the last few weeks have we started the true summer high-humidity heat. This is already a very short summer since the real heat just kicked in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Played golf, tennis, and sat outside for a couple of hrs - if you're someone that continuously seeks AC, you'll never get used to FLA heat. Gotta get out there, do stuff, drink h20 - also you have to be in good physical condition to tolerate it.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:40 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I hear ya. Even for me, this is my least favorite time of year. For me, it's just that I try not to complain too much because I rather take this than cold, I just cannot bear the cold. So I try to exercise and do my gardening early or late in the day, and just stay inside during the middle part. I always feel better when September gets here! (Even if it's not cool yet, then, there is something psychological for me about September arriving!)
I have been working on my bikes(pedal kind) and that is what makes me forget everything. I am doing less complaining than normal, it's just hard when I have to be outside at work a lot. October is when I start getting better. Nothing is better than that first cool front blowing through FL in October...

Old 07-06-2011, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 771 times
You want to get used to Florida heat, move to AZ for four years. We had to move back to Florida because I was going to beat the crap out of the next person who said, "but it's a DRY HEAT"!!!!

The last year we were there we had 138 straight days of 100 plus degrees, many of which were above 110. Florida FOREVER.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:19 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,526 times
That sounds like an awesome solution, just trying to figure out how I could do that with the kids being in school and housing. I would LOVE to do that! We're from Northern VA outside of DC and cant deal with the long summers either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy2 View Post
I can see how it would be difficult to acclimate to the heat if you lived in Florida year round. That's why hubby and I decided to 6 and 6 it between here and NH. Best of both worlds!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:32 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
That sounds like an awesome solution, just trying to figure out how I could do that with the kids being in school and housing. I would LOVE to do that! We're from Northern VA outside of DC and cant deal with the long summers either.
We have a business that can be done anywhere in the country. We have an empty nest, so it works out -- I don't think you can do it with kids unless you homeschool.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:32 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,526 times
I have the same "psychological" feeling in September! Thought I was the only one! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I hear ya. Even for me, this is my least favorite time of year. For me, it's just that I try not to complain too much because I rather take this than cold, I just cannot bear the cold. So I try to exercise and do my gardening early or late in the day, and just stay inside during the middle part. I always feel better when September gets here! (Even if it's not cool yet, then, there is something psychological for me about September arriving!)

Old 07-07-2011, 02:36 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes but that is a heat wave up north which will break, I just spoke with a friend in MA it was in the high 90s, it is now 78 degrees. So it already broke there.

Here it is a never ending heat wave for months and months, no comparison to a heat wave for a week.

Since early April with the exception of some very nice temps in the high 70s and low 80s in mid April it has been over 90 everyday. And will stay this way till November.

Big difference.

Yes we get no breaks and it is hot, humid and tropical for a very long time not measured over weeks or a couple of months. We do have the A/C to escape to everywhere plus most of us are blessed to be not far from wonderful beaches with a nice sea breeze. But you and Chris are right.. And if you have to spend hours each day working in the heat it is beyond brutal. Just something a northerner could never comprehend it seems.. Millions of us live for that first blast of 'artic' air dropping the night time temps into the low 60's so we can take the a/c off after 7-8-9 months no different than someone from the north waiting for those glorious late April and May spring days when temps get up to the mid 70's and the flowers are blooming and everyone is outside enjoying the great weather..

Old 07-08-2011, 06:25 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Yes we get no breaks and it is hot, humid and tropical for a very long time not measured over weeks or a couple of months. We do have the A/C to escape to everywhere plus most of us are blessed to be not far from wonderful beaches with a nice sea breeze. But you and Chris are right.. And if you have to spend hours each day working in the heat it is beyond brutal. Just something a northerner could never comprehend it seems.. Millions of us live for that first blast of 'artic' air dropping the night time temps into the low 60's so we can take the a/c off after 7-8-9 months no different than someone from the north waiting for those glorious late April and May spring days when temps get up to the mid 70's and the flowers are blooming and everyone is outside enjoying the great weather..
Amen!!!!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes but that is a heat wave up north which will break, I just spoke with a friend in MA it was in the high 90s, it is now 78 degrees. So it already broke there.

Here it is a never ending heat wave for months and months, no comparison to a heat wave for a week.

Since early April with the exception of some very nice temps in the high 70s and low 80s in mid April it has been over 90 everyday. And will stay this way till November.

Big difference.
I'm sorry, but you can't say it has been 90+ every day "since early April", then mention some exception of nice temps like it was nothing. There were 24 days in April below 90. That's hardly an exception for that month.

Scroll down to see calendar on each link...

History : Weather Underground - April

There were 12 days below 90 in May.

History : Weather Underground - May

Ok, so it will stay that way until November? 27 days below 90 last October. Prior years reflect about the same.

History : Weather Underground - October

By my calculations that is only 5 months of 90+ degree weather, max. I would agree that over 90 it is extremely hot here, however upper 80s is no problem for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida