Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:06 PM

233 posts, read 172,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Exactly. The summers are long and brutal, and there's really nothing one can do about it.
Growing up in Montreal, the cold never really bothered me except for during EXTREME cold spells with high winds. We were outside playing at all hours for the most part in sub-zero temperatures. The key difference? We could clothe ourselves to protect from the cold.
Well, I grew up in Detroit, which has milder winters than Montreal or Toronto but still has (what most would consider anyway) brutal winters. Summers for me in Miami are a breeze compared to even a mild winter year in Detroit. Yes you will sweat in the summer, and run your AC for a long time but there is no "cabin fever" season like in the north. I'm still outside, I just avoid 10am-6pm unless I'm on the boat or the pool or the beach and if I'm on the boat/pool/beach then the weather is actually perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 12:08 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
Well, I grew up in Detroit, which has milder winters than Montreal or Toronto but still has (what most would consider anyway) brutal winters. Summers for me in Miami are a breeze compared to even a mild winter year in Detroit. Yes you will sweat in the summer, and run your AC for a long time but there is no "cabin fever" season like in the north. I'm still outside, I just avoid 10am-6pm unless I'm on the boat or the pool or the beach and if I'm on the boat/pool/beach then the weather is actually perfect.
I like summer in Florida because no other time of the year is hot enough for me to enjoy the pool, ocean, water park or natural spring.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:25 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Florida summers: pool time! A/C for hubby and breezes on the shaded lanai for me. I'm so ready. Turning on the pool heater the 1st of March.

Edit to add: I think some of us acclimate better than others. I know I do faster than hubby because I am outside more than he is.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:26 PM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Ouch. I always thought Detroit was brutal, even coming from Montreal. I think this was mainly due to the lake effect and the high bone-biting winds.
But I get what you're saying. For some, yes, it is way too cold. It just never bothered me. Summers here in FL can get pretty nasty IMO. I do like the fact that I can do outdoor activities year-round here though, such as water sports, going to the beach, gardening, etc.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Ouch. I always thought Detroit was brutal, even coming from Montreal. I think this was mainly due to the lake effect and the high bone-biting winds.
But I get what you're saying. For some, yes, it is way too cold. It just never bothered me. Summers here in FL can get pretty nasty IMO. I do like the fact that I can do outdoor activities year-round here though, such as water sports, going to the beach, gardening, etc.
Detroit doesn't really get much lake effect snow, since we're on the other side of a relatively small lake (St Clair). I think you're thinking of Buffalo.

Detroit averages 43 inches of snow, Montreal averages 90 inches. More than double. Detroit's coldest month is January with an average high of 32F and an average low of 19F, whereas Montreal in January averages just 22F for the high, and 10F for the low. Looking at sunlight hours, Detroit averages 2,400 hours a year compared to just 2,000 for Montreal.

Detroit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit
Montreal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal

I would say winter is a standard deviation worse in Montreal than Detroit.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:26 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
You make it sound like northerners never go out in the winter. wrong, we go out and participate in many winter activities, in fact I go out a lot more for recreation in the winter up here in Montreal than I ever did in the summer when I lived in St Pete Florida. IMO if you are up north and feeling the cold then you just aren't dressed appropriately.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You make it sound like northerners never go out in the winter. wrong, we go out and participate in many winter activities, in fact I go out a lot more for recreation in the winter up here in Montreal than I ever did in the summer when I lived in St Pete Florida. IMO if you are up north and feeling the cold then you just aren't dressed appropriately.
Never said "northerns don't go out in the winter" just that winter is cabin fever season in the north and this is an empirical fact. Detroit was never much of a walking city, neither are all of the Florida cities except for maybe Miami Beach (and even then, it's just South Beach) so the comparisons can be easily made. In Detroit, outdoor activity not only slows down dramatically in the winter, people are less likely to be outdoors than Miami in the summer.

Here in the summer I still see people jogging on the beach, I still see the al fresco dining sections of restaurants fill up in the evening, I see the bay full of boats to the point it's hard to find space on the sandbars, the pools and bbq areas are packed, I see the beach volleyball courts packed, etc.

In the winter in Detroit, it can sometimes feel like a ghost town especially when sunsets. I lived there 20+ years of my life. I also lived in Minneapolis. Same thing there. I haven't lived in Montreal - so I don't know but everyone tells me to visit in the summer because it's your peak season. I visited in the fall, and it was nice I guess. I bet if I came in the winter, pedestrian activity would be at a fraction of where it was at a fall. That doesn't mean that everyone is indoors and doesn't venture outside - it just means people venture outside a lot lot less.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:50 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
There are two types of people...

heat tolerant and cold tolerant

Old 02-19-2018, 04:49 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
We thought boating was done all year here, but found out very differently here in Jacksonville. In fact, our marine service highly suggest we either drain our boat block or get a complete “winterization” done around October or so. We have done both and glad we have. With the “brackish” and saltwater here, that can really do in an engine and/or outdrive, don’t want to take a chance in freezing the engine block here. It has been done a number of times here, we were told.

We are much more “foothills” and “mountains type couple than beach. We have come to find out just how much we miss rodeo action, big Bull Elk and freshwater lake boating/fishing.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:22 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
These aren’t summertime temps we are/have been having! Summertime temps are hot, in the 90’s with lots of humidity!

How long have you lived here? We’ve been here since Jan 2009, so we really know how it gets here in Jax in the summer. One word really describes it.....sweaty!!!
88f in Tampa today is about what we see in the summer. I have lived here 40+ years longer than you and this crap is not normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida