U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 AM

11,829 posts, read 9,065,985 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the northeast and I never saw any lizards or snakes or frogs.

When I vacationed in Florida the first time as an adult i saw those tiny lizards running around everywhere.

When I moved here as soon as I got to the storage place I saw my first frog there.

Then at the studio motel that first week I saw some small green parakeets.

When I lived in Broward county which is the Fort Lauderdale area there were a lot of Canada geese there.

I also saw some large Chameleon type lizards about 2 feet long with the tail.

I was surprised not to see many squirrels but maybe the area i was in did not have trees with nuts to feed them.

Then when I moved to Lee county the Fort Myers area I saw many more animals I had never seen before.

I saw more frogs and here there were a lot of squirrels, they look a bit different than the ones in the northeast because their tails are not as furry or fluffy.

today I saw a woodpecker, I had seen some before those are really cool with the red head and they are smaller than I expected.

I've seen a few snakes here in my backyard. Just the black garden snake kind. I saw the skin of a colorful one dead on the road too.

I've seen turnkey vultures here too,

I've also seen bald eagles here but only flying, never perched on a tree.

I also saw a wild rabbit a few times, I had never seen one of those before.

When I lived in Cape Coral for a few months it was on a canal and there were pretty good size fish in it about Also I saw turtles there, and one time there was a small gator in the canal. It must have been a baby because it was only about 3 feet long with the tail.

I also had a neighbor here who had pet monkeys, they were in the backyard behind a house I walk my dogs near. they were the south American kind that swing by their long tails. they were in a caged area behind the house made up of fencing. They must have gotten rid of them after Hurricane Irma because they took down the fences after that and I never saw them again, it must be hard having to evacuate with w monkeys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 AM

11,346 posts, read 8,120,476 times
LARGE alligators. I see them all the time in the nearby lake.
Cottonmouth snakes. Again, see those quite often.
Man-o-war jellyfish. Also got stung by one. It sucked.
Dolphins: plenty of them on the Gulf coast. I didn't think they would be such a common sight, but they are.
Lizards.
Eastern Lubber Grasshopper...

The list goes on. Florida is FULL of wildlife at every turn.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:03 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,389,768 times
Armadillo, dolphins, alligators, lizards and vultures. Also fire ants.

Michigan has the frogs, raccoons, snakes, squirrels and turtles so I was familiar with those already. Not many fire ants in Michigan, more the carpenter variety.

I've helped a couple of turtles, down here, that we're trying to cross the road.

Rabbits are also common in both areas.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:12 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,545,000 times
Hope you get to see a pileated woodpecker.

Not the species Woody Woodpecker was modeled after but very large and similar. They are native to eastern North America.

There are eastern cottontails and marsh rabbits. The marsh rabbits live in wetlands and swim.

Make it a point to see some scrubjays. The Florida scrub jay is our endemic bird. Observing a family of them is a real treat!

I’ve seen them in the ONF near the Yearling Trail, inthe Clermont Area, and in Seminole State Forest.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 02-19-2018 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 01:30 PM

12,781 posts, read 6,113,112 times
Manatees and armadillos are the first ones I think of and here in Cape Coral we have burrowing owls that I believe are only in this area. What I do miss and never see here that I used to in NY and NC are fireflies, Robins and the Bluebird.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:26 PM

3,690 posts, read 6,601,587 times
I lived in a small town in an established neighborhood and did not see a lot of wild animals in our town. Moving to Florida was an experience 40 years ago. We lived near the Indian River with lots of wild growth/woods and very few houses.

I still get excited if I see a bear, a bobcat, red fox, the huge raccoons and opossums(larger than our large beagle) , wild boars, and wild turkeys.

Then we also saw lots of different kinds of crabs,starfish, sand dollars, the huge spiders, mosquitos that are almost the size of small birds , the flying bug we call the mosquito eaters, palmetto bugs, walking sticks, scorpions, cow birds in the fields with the cattle, snowy egrets, spoonbills,and blue herons

And you can't forget the Portuguese-man-o-war, the large sea turtles, the stingrays, sandhill cranes, osprey, the wood stork with their sort of ugly face but have that beautiful wing span, and gopher tortoises. I have seen lots of sharks, one whale and lots of manatees and alligators.

I had also never seen a rattle snake, a copperhead snake, a black racer, or a coral snake till I moved here. And of course now I have seen a coyote here in Florida(had only seen them in Indiana).

And I had never seen a civet cat(civvy cat to Floridians-Florida skunk that stinks up a whole area but looks like a kitten) or the black and white Florida skunk sort of spotted instead of the traditional white striped ones.

There are just too many different animals to name.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:21 PM

645 posts, read 471,066 times
2 legged varmints.
Actually, I have seen them in other places but there's more of them in Florida.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:23 PM

11,829 posts, read 9,065,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Manatees and armadillos are the first ones I think of and here in Cape Coral we have burrowing owls that I believe are only in this area. What I do miss and never see here that I used to in NY and NC are fireflies, Robins and the Bluebird.
I was gonna mention the owls, when I lived there for a few months there was an empty lot, one of many near city hall where I walked my dogs and there were signs up that they were protected and you would sometimes see them.

I haven't seem many pigeons here either but some smaller dove type birds.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:30 PM

6,864 posts, read 9,958,978 times
At our local Walmart, a pair of Ospreys build a nest on top of a parking lot light. They've been doing it for a few years.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:45 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,545,000 times
There are bluebirds and robins in Florida (snowbirds).

Civet cats in Florida?

They are native to Africa and Asia.

Unless you mean the eastern spotted skunk. They’re adorable and don’t look like civet cats at all!
Wonder why they call them by that name.

We also have mink and nutrias.

Capybaras here too; invasive exotics.

Although there has been no photographic evidence, there have been reports of jaguarundi sightings from credible sources.

It’s possible as some were released in Central Florida years ago.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 02-19-2018 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or