Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 05:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times

Advertisements

guess this will keep the issue on the front burner

maybe need to have an event every month for the remainder of the year until the politicians get the message, otherwise the cycle of forgetting continues until the next mass carnage

https://marchforourlives.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 06:00 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
guess this will keep the issue on the front burner

maybe need to have an event every month for the remainder of the year until the politicians get the message, otherwise the cycle of forgetting continues until the next mass carnage

https://marchforourlives.com/
For the pro gun nuts, 2A > kids' lives

Old 03-06-2018, 07:03 AM

233 posts, read 172,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
noticed lately that all the big cable news networks have pretty much moved on and the shooting is no longer a story - the cycle continues
I don't watch cable news as I feel American cable news is basically garbage but there are a couple news paper stands outside my building. Everytime I passed them for the last two weeks I noticed a front page story about Parkland - that is, until last weekend.

Thankfully I may add, as I don't want our rights to be curtailed over this, and I don't think focusing on this is a good thing. It just leads to more copy cats.

Case in point - federal gun laws have been virtually static since massive legislation were passed in 1994, 1984, and 1934 (or 2004 when Clinton's ban was allowed to expire). Yet, these school shootings are a relatively recent phenomena, as are these mass shootings. We had some back in the 1970s but it seemed only couple a decade, and they have been picking up steam ever since then.

It's clear that now every sicko is being inspired by this wall to wall coverage - and the proof is almost all of them are opting to use an AR-15 styled rifle (it's in the news a lot).

Old 03-06-2018, 08:27 AM

294 posts, read 233,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
I don't watch cable news as I feel American cable news is basically garbage but there are a couple news paper stands outside my building. Everytime I passed them for the last two weeks I noticed a front page story about Parkland - that is, until last weekend.

Thankfully I may add, as I don't want our rights to be curtailed over this, and I don't think focusing on this is a good thing. It just leads to more copy cats.

Case in point - federal gun laws have been virtually static since massive legislation were passed in 1994, 1984, and 1934 (or 2004 when Clinton's ban was allowed to expire). Yet, these school shootings are a relatively recent phenomena, as are these mass shootings. We had some back in the 1970s but it seemed only couple a decade, and they have been picking up steam ever since then.

It's clear that now every sicko is being inspired by this wall to wall coverage - and the proof is almost all of them are opting to use an AR-15 styled rifle (it's in the news a lot).

So you are saying This is not the time to talk about it.......Please advise everyone when you think that time is.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:15 PM

202 posts, read 153,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
For the pro gun nuts, 2A > kids' lives
Very succinct, and unfortunately way too many people think that way.

Nothing should be put ahead of kids lives.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:16 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
So you are saying This is not the time to talk about it.......Please advise everyone when you think that time is.
Maybe what should be talked about is how to actually stop known problem people like the Parkland shooter.

If the FBI and Police had done their job no shooting would have occurred.

Then see how to change the violent, self centered culture we now have. Society has changed and that is the real problem.

Note I don't care if they ban guns or not but it won't stop shootings as criminals get guns all the time and sell them. Yes fewer people may die with a non AR15 shooting or even if just a knife at a school, but some will still die, so why not address the underlying reason which is NOT guns, but the mind set that has developed.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:17 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hardy View Post
Very succinct, and unfortunately way too many people think that way.

Nothing should be put ahead of kids lives.
Great ban cars, as more kids are killed by cars than guns.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:02 PM

202 posts, read 153,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Head in the sand attitudes like that help ensure the real problem will keep getting swept under the table.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:58 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
anyone w/ expertise in logical fallacies....this sounds like one - perhaps false equivalency? you hear this one all time time or alcohol, knives, trucks.....somebody must have taken a college class in Logic - help us out.

CONSIDERING THE LAME ARGUMENT THAT ASSERTS CARS KILL MORE PEOPLE THAN GUNS
https://woodgatesview.com/2015/03/09...ple-than-guns/

Old 03-07-2018, 02:08 PM

294 posts, read 233,112 times
Quote:
Maybe what should be talked about is how to actually stop known problem people like the Parkland shooter.

If the FBI and Police had done their job no shooting would have occurred.

Then see how to change the violent, self centered culture we now have. Society has changed and that is the real problem.

Note I don't care if they ban guns or not but it won't stop shootings as criminals get guns all the time and sell them. Yes fewer people may die with a non AR15 shooting or even if just a knife at a school, but some will still die, so why not address the underlying reason which is NOT guns, but the mind set that has developed.
Yes society has changed but gun laws have not. Ban new assault weapon sales and register existing ones and if one is used in a crime it could come back to the original owner who did not register and or transfer in the correct way. Will it stop all shootings.....of course not. But imagine if those laws had been on the books for the past two years. Would the Parkland kid still have got one.......probably not. And I think anyone would take their chances against him having a handgun, knife, car or whatever compared to an assault weapon shooting at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida