Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2018, 09:58 AM

6,417 posts, read 4,911,200 times

Advertisements

As far as Sushi goes, Wegmans had Japanese Sushi Chefs who prepared fresh Sushi throughout the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
As far as Sushi goes, Wegmans had Japanese Sushi Chefs who prepared fresh Sushi throughout the day.
As do some Publix stores... And it's edible (I don't like rolls filled with junk btw. I like traditional SUSHI, as in fresh fish and rice)but I think it's a bit ridiculous to expect it to be of comparable quality to an actual sushi restaurant.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:51 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
As do some Publix stores... And it's edible (I don't like rolls filled with junk btw. I like traditional SUSHI, as in fresh fish and rice)but I think it's a bit ridiculous to expect it to be of comparable quality to an actual sushi restaurant.
Yes, every Publix in my area has a Japanese sushi chef.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:21 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
A friend of mine from Brooklyn insists that Westrtn Beef has NYC quality Italian bread, rolls, etc.

I believe they only have 2 stores in Florida; both in Palm Beach county.

He says the produce is good too; he mentioned the apples being really good.

I’ll check it out and perhaps someone near mean down here would benefit.

Guess I thought Western Beef was just steak etc and I’ve no use for that.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
A friend of mine from Brooklyn insists that Westrtn Beef has NYC quality Italian bread, rolls, etc.

I believe they only have 2 stores in Florida; both in Palm Beach county.

He says the produce is good too; he mentioned the apples being really good.

I’ll check it out and perhaps someone near mean down here would benefit.

Guess I thought Western Beef was just steak etc and I’ve no use for that.
The only general grocery (non-ethnic/specialty) store I've found in the Orlando/Tampa area that has anything I'll go out of my way for is Freshfield Farms. Great quality meats, great variety of cuts, , and very fresh and large selection of produce. Aside from that, Publix fits the bill just fine.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:35 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Aldi is opening redesigned new stores in Florida. Cheapest place to buy butter I have found. 4 sticks for 2 bucks. Made in USA (allegedly).

https://retailleader.com/aldi-focused-fresh-florida

Old 03-09-2018, 10:11 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The only general grocery (non-ethnic/specialty) store I've found in the Orlando/Tampa area that has anything I'll go out of my way for is Freshfield Farms. Great quality meats, great variety of cuts, , and very fresh and large selection of produce. Aside from that, Publix fits the bill just fine.
Lol I’ll keep that in mind for the future.

In any case, that Loch-whatever Publix in Mt Dora remains once of the nicest I’ve been to.

They had a large vegan ( cheese, tofu, stuff made from jackfruit, good sausage type stuff) long before I saw it even in the newer, larger Publix markets here.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:22 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
I buy the BOGOs, sushi, fresh fish, and a few other items at Publix. Other than that, it's fairly expensive. It's only a mile from my house, though, so sometimes convenience outweighs the price. I prefer to go to the Walmart Neighborhood Market for dairy products and dry goods.

We buy produce from a local produce store 95% of the time. As for meat, it depends; sometimes we will buy from Publix, sometimes from WNM, and sometimes from a local butcher. Occasionally we will go to Aldi, but the one near me always has long lines and once we bought cream cheese that was sour, so I'm leery of most of their refrigerated items.

Winn Dixie here is not nice... not very clean and it's old-looking. Also, the prices aren't anything to write home about. There's also an Amish/Mennonite store about 20 minutes away that we will go to every couple of months. They have some neat specialty items and sometimes good sales on local produce or meat.

Basically, we like to try different places and we don't mind taking a few hours on Saturday to go to different stores in the area to get what we want.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:10 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I buy the BOGOs, sushi, fresh fish, and a few other items at Publix. Other than that, it's fairly expensive. It's only a mile from my house, though, so sometimes convenience outweighs the price. I prefer to go to the Walmart Neighborhood Market for dairy products and dry goods.

We buy produce from a local produce store 95% of the time. As for meat, it depends; sometimes we will buy from Publix, sometimes from WNM, and sometimes from a local butcher. Occasionally we will go to Aldi, but the one near me always has long lines and once we bought cream cheese that was sour, so I'm leery of most of their refrigerated items.

Winn Dixie here is not nice... not very clean and it's old-looking. Also, the prices aren't anything to write home about. There's also an Amish/Mennonite store about 20 minutes away that we will go to every couple of months. They have some neat specialty items and sometimes good sales on local produce or meat.

Basically, we like to try different places and we don't mind taking a few hours on Saturday to go to different stores in the area to get what we want.

I am extremely aggressive about returning ANYTHING and EVERYTHING I don't like to the grocery store. It doesn't matter if it's rotten, sour, missing product, it didn't last as long as I liked, I didn't like the taste-smell-look, I will return it. Publix is great about returns. So is Aldi. In fact they have a "double guarantee": they will replace the product and give you a refund (both). Sprouts, Whole Foods, etc. all great about returns.

Walmart and Target not so much.

Costco is probably the best. You can return absolutely anything for a full refund even if you already ate it.

I had a cookout last year. We bought several packs of pre-seasoned pork ribs at Costco. We cooked them same day. They were all rotten. Had a off taste. Old meat. We threw them out. I got a full refund at Costco, without the receipt, without the packaging for the ribs, without the ribs, without anything.

Retailers need to be held accountable for the quality (or LACK of quality) they sell.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Lol I’ll keep that in mind for the future.

In any case, that Loch-whatever Publix in Mt Dora remains once of the nicest I’ve been to.

They had a large vegan ( cheese, tofu, stuff made from jackfruit, good sausage type stuff) long before I saw it even in the newer, larger Publix markets here.
I am lucky enough to live right by there. I actually prefer the one at Stoneybrook though, but that may be because I just know the store layout better. But yeah, the one at Loch Leven is nice. I just wish it were at a better intersection. It’s a nightmare trying to get out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida