Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 10:59 AM

32 posts, read 26,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
We moved from Buffalo and thought the same thing. We got used to the Florida grocery scene quickly and really don't miss Wegmans. Publix is fine and we augment it with Costco, BJ's, Trader Joes and Fresh Market.
Not sure how it's possible that you do not miss Wegmans which is the size several football fields. I'm in the process of moving from the DC area to the Tampa area and I'm not even moved yet and I already miss Wegmans. Having been in a couple of the supposedly upscale Publixes in the Tampa area, they are just cleaner versions of Giant Food or Safeway or Ralphs.
I will miss the days of going to Wegmans, having a cheap lunch at one of the many restaurants in the store, then shopping for what I wanted to cook for the weekend. They have the best produce, meat and seafood departments of any grocery store I've seen, vastly bigger than anything at Publix. Publix stores are small and boring. But I guess a lot of people in Florida get their kicks from staring at those cute bag boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 11:27 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,398,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogloverinFL View Post
Not sure how it's possible that you do not miss Wegmans which is the size several football fields. I'm in the process of moving from the DC area to the Tampa area and I'm not even moved yet and I already miss Wegmans. Having been in a couple of the supposedly upscale Publixes in the Tampa area, they are just cleaner versions of Giant Food or Safeway or Ralphs.
I will miss the days of going to Wegmans, having a cheap lunch at one of the many restaurants in the store, then shopping for what I wanted to cook for the weekend. They have the best produce, meat and seafood departments of any grocery store I've seen, vastly bigger than anything at Publix. Publix stores are small and boring. But I guess a lot of people in Florida get their kicks from staring at those cute bag boys.
Publix...(If you read back my previous posts) is NOT my bag of Tea...With that said...That ends my rant about them..

If it wasn't for ALDI across the State, we'd be getting food at the Places in Town for those that get free Food that cannot afford to buy it.

Between the Whole Foods, Fresh Markets, Earth Fares , Publixes even xpensive Walmart Groceries we are up against a brick wall in the entire State of The Sunshine Land.

Last edited by Hammocks Bum; 05-18-2018 at 11:36 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 11:54 AM

16,826 posts, read 14,992,137 times
Quote:
Eh... I wouldn't compare it to Safeway... At all. Safeway reminds me a lot of Winn-Dixie. And that's not a knock on it; I shop at Safeway whenever I'm in the DC area, and shop at Winn-Dixie on occasion. But I just don't see the similarities.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:03 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,630,007 times
Pulix has Whole Foods prices. Publix should change it's name to Hole Pockets.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:40 AM

30 posts, read 31,289 times
Publix ain't going anywhere soon, people...yes, margins are challenging but there are Walmart shoppers, then there are Publix-type customers, they aren't the same folks...duh. Just look at what kind of suburban neighborhoods Publix is currently building its new stores in...not only in SW FL for an extreme example, but also neighborhoods around cities/exurbs of Birmingham, Nashville, Charlotte, and esp around Atlanta. Most of these 45k sq ft and above stores are being built within about an 8 minute drive from massive and some exclusive gated neighborhoods, NOT within the "urban landscape".

Old 05-19-2018, 09:56 AM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
Quote:
I despise huge stores like this. You need a frikkin' scooter or skates to get around... So I am sure I would never be a customer even if Wegman's were to come here. I shop at the smallest Publix in the area, and I also like the small size of ALDI, Trader Joe and Fresh Market. I just will never understand these debates about grocery stores, especially here where yes WE DO HAVE TONS OF CHOICES when you factor in ALL of them, not just the general chains. There are so many different stores where I live in the Sarasota area I honestly don't know how they all stay in business, but they do. And yes, Publix continues to build and thrive here.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:12 AM

6,276 posts, read 4,768,588 times
Quote:
Cheap lunch in Wegmans? Are you kidding? Its cheaper to eat at a restaurant. If you eat from the hot food and salad bar you are lucky to get out for less that $15-20. I shopped there for 30+ years and I really don't miss it. Publix produce is comparable to Wegmans. Wegmans has a large prepared (expensive) food section, much better and larger bakery, larger not necessarily better seafood section and longer waits at the checkouts.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:00 AM

30 posts, read 31,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Cheap lunch in Wegmans? Are you kidding? Its cheaper to eat at a restaurant. If you eat from the hot food and salad bar you are lucky to get out for less that $15-20. I shopped there for 30+ years and I really don't miss it. Publix produce is comparable to Wegmans. Wegmans has a large prepared (expensive) food section, much better and larger bakery, larger not necessarily better seafood section and longer waits at the checkouts.

No doubt, but that's where PUBLIX also exceeds. My suburban PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS are expertly managed in the front of the house. RARELY do I experience long lines for checkout. That's smart stuff. In fact Publix insists that its clerks, if not busy checking out, they stand out front of their registers to guide customers to their 'line' - that too is smart and customer-focused activity. Try to find that attitude and activity in a Kroger, Whole Foods, Fresh Market or a lousy Walmart or AlDi.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:18 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,708,197 times
Florida has lots of options besides Publix...

Trader Joes
Whole Foods
The Fresh Market
Lucky's Market
Aldi

...and others too

Old 05-20-2018, 01:03 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,398,844 times
And LIDL from Germany is coming soon too, with more of the general ideas from the ALDI'S...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida