Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: fl jobs, housing, The Keys, renting, cost of living.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,956 times

Advertisements

I graduated high school a year ago. In that amount of time I've come to be absolutly sure that I do not belong in Central Illinois. I need warm weather ASAP! What I want to do is pack my bags and pick a spot in florida (The keys would be ideal) and figure out the job and housing thing from there....BUT, I know that isn't the best idea. People have suggested I get a waitressing job at a "la te da" restaurant/harbor where people have so much money they don't know what to do with themselves. Any one have suggestions as far as location, employment, housing?

p.s. i don't have a whole lot of money, but i'm content with about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 02:49 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjawni View Post
I graduated high school a year ago. In that amount of time I've come to be absolutly sure that I do not belong in Central Illinois. I need warm weather ASAP! What I want to do is pack my bags and pick a spot in florida (The keys would be ideal) and figure out the job and housing thing from there....BUT, I know that isn't the best idea. People have suggested I get a waitressing job at a "la te da" restaurant/harbor where people have so much money they don't know what to do with themselves. Any one have suggestions as far as location, employment, housing?

Make sure you pick the right location as our FL servers are hanging onto their jobs for dear life....If you move now, also realize that we're coming to the end of snowbird season....your tips are flying back north...we do, however, have a summer season that restaurants do put out feelers for come May...but, realize that the competition is stiff....otherwise, you will end up homeless & broke...like the rest of the unemployed here....and it's not a pretty sight...

You'd do good to research the four & five star restaurants, call them regarding hiring months & take it from there....otherwise, your application will be in the rotating file...i.e. trash.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:31 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjawni View Post

First of all, do you have a lot of server experience at upscale establishments? You will never be hired if you don't. Also keep in mind that the people who have "lots of money" are sometimes the stingiest - I have plenty of friends (and family) in the restaurant biz who have told me so.

I really think you need more of a plan before you come down here and "wing it." Times are really tough here; and you will have tremendous competition for what few jobs do exist.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:38 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
You are young & unattached. Now is probably the best time to make a move to where you'd be happy.

That being said, there is a hard cold reality to face: the US economy is in shambles & the job market is **** poor for many.

Have you ever been a waitress before? Those who appear to have money are usually the worst tippers. I waitressed my way through college. Found the best tippers to be young kids who were doing the same thing as me.

To get a job in the best restuarants requires experience & usually knowing someone to get the interview.

Most who are waiters/waitresses are also working another job to make ends meet.

Find a place that you'd love to live.
Figure out how much rent is; utilities; food; etc
Find a job.
If that job can pay for the bare essentials, then make a go at it.

Never move anywhere without a job & no money. You'll be on a Greyhound bus heading back to IL in less than 6 months.

Also, reports are coming out that with gas averaging in the area of $3.50 & possibly to see $4.50-$5/gl by summer, min wage workers are working just to pay for gas.

Good luck but take the time to do really extensive research & find a job before moving ANYWHERE!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
This is a very bad idea. Listen to what we are saying.

Your story fits a very, very common pattern we see on this forum.

Someone gets sick of the cold. They see Florida as paradise because they saw it on TV or maybe even visited. They pack up and move with no job, no money, no place to stay, and no family.

They get here and reality hits. They can't go to the beach everyday. The payscale is very low and cost of living very high. Two or three jobs become the norm just to pay the bills. Housing, although coming down now, is still expensive.

Waitressing--It is impossible to get a waitressing job in a "la-ti-da" restaurant without significant experience. My kid used to be a waitress. It's very hard work and while you can make good money, it is very unsteady income.

The Keys- Forget it. The Keys probably have the highest cost of living in the state.

Good intentions and enthusiasm are not enough. We don't want to bursts your dream but you have to be realistic.

Have you considered going to college in Florida?

Last edited by RMD3819; 03-25-2008 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Spelling correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida