Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,899 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are currently looking to escape the midwest and move to warmer weather. We're attracted to Citrus county. It seems like it's still less populated than other areas and an affordable place to live. We also love the outdoors...fishing, hiking, biking, camping, canoeing, etc. and think this area might fit the bill.

We're hoping to find a small house in a safe, quiet area for $100,000 or less. Hoping to avoid an HOA fee, but I'm not opposed to an inexpensive condo with a reasonable fee either. We are simple, we have no issues living in a small house.

One concern I have is Homeowners insurance rates / floodzones. I know I'll just have to do my research no matter what area we decide on.

We don't need a lot of amenities, but grocery stores, home improvement stores, etc. would be nice to have within a short drive.

I work from home, so finding work isn't an issue, but fairly decent internet service is needed for my work.

We've been looking in Dunnellon, Inverness, Crystal River etc. It seems like there are options in our price range, but I don't know if that means living in a less desirable neighborhood. We're not snooty people, just want to fee safe in our home.

Any advice would be much appreciated. If there are other towns we should be looking at, I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 03:48 PM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
I would urge some further investigation as there are other areas that fit your criteria you might find more desirable. Other areas overlooked by many are places like Highlands County and Polk County (southern end) which don't have as many flooding/sinkhole issues and are similarly undeveloped with plenty of options in your price range. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...48,10&qdm=true

Old 03-20-2018, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the input. Are the sinkholes a real concern? Or just something that's overblown in news reports and only worries people who don't live there?

I ask because many fear living in the midwest because of tornadoes, but most people who live here don't ever think about them. Yes they happen, but it's not a fear worth worrying too much about.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:51 PM

One of the things that also attracts me to Citrus County is the short drive to fishing on the gulf. Looks like Sebring is quite a bit further inland. Not that I can't live with that.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:19 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,229,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by signamigo View Post
Thanks for the input. Are the sinkholes a real concern? Or just something that's overblown in news reports and only worries people who don't live there?

I ask because many fear living in the midwest because of tornadoes, but most people who live here don't ever think about them. Yes they happen, but it's not a fear worth worrying too much about.
They can be a problem, but virtually every State has them, FL just a few more. My wife and I owned land in Citrus County, though we sold it a few years ago. Sink holes were not a concern.

This may help:

Sinkhole Maps of Florida Counties

Old 03-21-2018, 06:46 AM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by signamigo View Post

They are overblown quite a bit but areas with higher numbers/density pay dearly for the insurance coverage ($2000-$4000 per year) which is probably a good idea if in an area known for them.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:39 PM

1,332 posts, read 2,168,380 times
Sinkholes can happen anywhere in Florida. For the most part, they are rare, small, shallow, slow moving non events. Type III sink holes (the blue) are what you have to be concerned about. These are the kinds that can develop abruptly and suck you and your house down the hole. This happened in Hillsborough a few years ago and made national news.

Citrus County is not in the blue zone. The high risk blue zone is Pasco, Hernando, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Polk and parts of Marion and Alachua.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:55 PM

42 posts, read 54,668 times
I love, love, LOVE, Citrus County.
The springs, rivers, and parks Rock!
I did not go to the Gulf down there, but saw on you tube a nuclear plant is visable, THE SIMPSONS...
I also love, Mexico Beach - Carabelle. I prefer nature. But I love South Walton county too. Very expensive, Freeport is cool.

NW Florida gets chilly, tons of work right now.
Back to Citrus Co. One of the hurricanes looks like it wiped it out pretty good, I follow real estate closely. The X ZONE is safe.
I always look in the little town ships with old buildings still standing. Dont buy on streets like. WAVELAND, BAY STREET, WATER DRIVE, there's a reason..Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida