Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 06:37 AM

57 posts, read 45,657 times

Advertisements

In my current state, they don’t allow you to take the pre-licensure course online BUT in searching, it looks like Florida allows this. I do t want to be scammed and want to be sure I’m looking at the right info. Is this correct ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 07:52 AM

617 posts, read 832,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflycricket View Post
In my current state, they don’t allow you to take the pre-licensure course online BUT in searching, it looks like Florida allows this. I do t want to be scammed and want to be sure I’m looking at the right info. Is this correct ?
That is correct, you can do the pre-license course online. Lots of companies offer this. I took mine with realestateexpress.com and it was great. Just recently used McKissock for my license renewal courses.

Keep in mind once you pass the pre-license course, you'll have to sign up for the actual License exam which will be in a testing center with other people. In the past I've heard of people passing their pre-license course and thinking they're a licensed RE agent without taking the actual exam that gets you your license lol.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:53 AM

57 posts, read 45,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
That is correct, you can do the pre-license course online. Lots of companies offer this. I took mine with realestateexpress.com and it was great. Just recently used McKissock for my license renewal courses.

Keep in mind once you pass the pre-license course, you'll have to sign up for the actual License exam which will be in a testing center with other people. In the past I've heard of people passing their pre-license course and thinking they're a licensed RE agent without taking the actual exam that gets you your license lol.
Ha! But of course, I knew that lol

Can the state exam be taken in another state before I move or I must come down to Florida to take it.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:13 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Ha! But of course, I knew that lol

Can the state exam be taken in another state before I move or I must come down to Florida to take it.
You have to take it here in FL

Old 03-29-2018, 07:58 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Be sure you are the course from a company in Florida that is familiar with the test so that the prep class matches up with the test. The prep class from my provider was useless. Lao watch the legal questions, a lot on the test even though real estate agents are prohibited from answering any law questions for the client.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:42 AM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
You have to take it here in FL

That is incorrect.

You can take the state exam in any state or location that has an approved testing facility. There are only a couple of vendors and most have facilities nationally.

ALL of the pre-licensure providers have virtually the same distance learning curriculum. The only small variable is the individual state laws; however, each vendor is certified by the state. Most use Dearborn University and they are virtually identical.

When you take the test it simply boils down to you know the material or you don't. If you do, you will pass it easily.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:14 PM

378 posts, read 486,528 times
Quote:
They do. My wife and I took our course through climerrealestateschool.com

As a note: You have to be a Florida Resident for at least 4 months before you can obtain your real estate license, so you're call on if you want to take the course before/after this period due to knowledge loss.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:38 PM

378 posts, read 486,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
That is incorrect.

You can take the state exam in any state or location that has an approved testing facility. There are only a couple of vendors and most have facilities nationally.
You are incorrect.

As a condition of application to the DBPR (In order to obtain authorization to take state exam), you need to establish 4+ months of continuous residency (Rule 61K2-26.002/Statute 475.180)

Additionally, Pearson Vue is the only vendor authorized for the Florida state exam and the only authorized locations are in FL

Quote:
ALL of the pre-licensure providers have virtually the same distance learning curriculum. The only small variable is the individual state laws; however, each vendor is certified by the state. Most use Dearborn University and they are virtually identical.
Considering that the majority of training for a real estate associate consists of understanding local law, I would advise against getting training outside of the state (Unless the OP wants to get a license in their state, then apply for a mutual recognition application, which requires more training specific to our laws)

Old 03-30-2018, 08:51 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
That is incorrect.

When you take the test it simply boils down to you know the material or you don't. If you do, you will pass it easily.
When I called the state I was told I had to test in florida but I could do the class online from anywhere

Old 03-31-2018, 10:31 AM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
They do. My wife and I took our course through climerrealestateschool.com

As a note: You have to be a Florida Resident for at least 4 months before you can obtain your real estate license, so you're call on if you want to take the course before/after this period due to knowledge loss.

Well this is scary and one of the HUGE problems with "Realtors". 10¢ a dozen and only 8% of them are worth squat. Ask your broker for assistance.

If you bother to read the rules you cited you will see that you can license out-of-state which was a part of OP's question. There is NOT a residency requirement - read the entire thing and not just the part you're interested in ... like the entire listing agreement and not just bits and pieces.

You DO NOT have to be a resident to hold, study for or take any Florida real estate exam -- period.

Pearson Vue is indeed authorized to give the Florida Real Estate Exams among multiple other exams. They can do so at ANY of their certified testing facilities nation wide after you have completed the pre-licensure education and are authorized by the state.

All you did was regurgitate exactly what I said about the individual law and you will get absolutely NOTHING more from a course sold by someone in Florida than from someone selling it in California. A good deal of them are simple re-sellers. The law portion of the course is specific to the state and approved on a state by state basis. The Florida course will include Florida law and will not include California law. They all include Federal Law.

You should not offer comment if you don't know what you're talking about. If you're not sure don't just look it up - read all of it and or ask your broker for help.

OP:

It is a very good idea to proceed now with the learning portion and do your exam work. As a practical matter you likely will not find a broker to hang you license so you will place it current inactive until you move. I'm not sure if you will need the segregation agreement to accept process service through the Florida Secretary of State if the license is inactive or not but DBPR will advise on that.

The advantage as I see it in movinf forward is that AFTER you test and license you can then start on the post-education portion and have most of the stuff done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida