Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 04:39 AM

43 posts, read 96,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonvilleNative View Post
I was raised in North Jacksonville, (which is on the way to FB) in the woods and I never heard of a roof rat until I got on this forum. Everything was just a rat, a bigun, or a littleun They are all rats.

That being said, they are more afraid of you than you are of them. If you buy a place in the woods, get you a couple of cats and keep them outside. Let them do their thing.

The main health care facility on the island is Baptist Medical Center. They have a main campus in Downtown Jacksonville and several satellite campus around the the region. There are others in Jacksonville which is not hard to get too. Mayo Clinic, St Vincent's, UF Health and Memorial Hospital.

North Florida is very conservative. It is not known for it's diversity, even though numerous ethnicity and nationalities are here, they tend to be segregated. The Urban Core of Jacksonville (the older neighborhoods surrounding DT Jacksonville) tend to be more diverse. Perhaps Island Love could speak more to that, if they haven't already.

Good luck on your research and hope you make it down soon. I personally love Fernandina and would live there in a heartbeat.

FYI,
I just wanted to bring this info. to your attention. In N.Y. we have sewer rats but they live in the subway system and in other places where I have not come in contact with them. This is what I found out about the Florida Palm/Roof Rats.

Palm Rats / Roof Rats
Rattus rattus
Size: 5”-7” long
Color: from black to dark gray to dark brownish grey, with lighter bellies
Legs: Four
Palm Rat Facts
Palm rats, also known as roof rats, black rats, ship rats or house rats, are the leading rodent pest in Florida and in other tropical climates. They are climbers and prefer to nest off the ground in trees like palms, which is how they got their common name. Fruit is one of their main food sources.

Palm Rat Damage
Inside, these rodents can tear through insulation or gnaw on electrical wires, potentially short-circuiting any electronic devices. If they get into your kitchen, they’ll eat any food they can get their paws on. Outdoors, they can damage your garden by eating plants, fruits, and vegetables. They can also find their way into garbage cans and munch on any food scraps tossed away. Palm rats will chew on the sealant along roof tiles, which is another reason why they get into your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Fernandina Beach is a wonderful community and think if you can find a way to become involved and get to know people you shouldn't have any trouble acclimating.

Thanks, you are very encouraging! I've heard about the Jazz Festival in October.
Are there any other festivals or celebrations? Is there a local community theatre in Fernandina Beach. I would rather enjoy myself on the island than travel to Jacksonville.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:36 AM

Does anyone know what new stores are coming to Fernandina Beach besides the Home Goods store? I wish they would bring a Trader Joe's to the area and IHOP?

Old 04-28-2018, 03:37 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb710 View Post
Thanks, you are very encouraging! I've heard about the Jazz Festival in October.
Are there any other festivals or celebrations? Is there a local community theatre in Fernandina Beach. I would rather enjoy myself on the island than travel to Jacksonville.
Quote:
Does anyone know what new stores are coming to Fernandina Beach besides the Home Goods store? I wish they would bring a Trader Joe's to the area and IHOP?
The area is full of festivals, year-round. Festivals - Amelia Island, Florida Trader Joe's would be a tough sell given their selectivity in the immediate future but the massive new Wildlight development in neighboring Yulee should bring in all kinds of new additions, and perhaps one of the new arrivals in FL grocery-wise like Earth Fare or Sprout's and most certainly a Publix I would imagine. IHOP isn't a thing here in FL and while they exist aren't very popular. Places like First Watch and Another Broken Egg are growing like wildfire here and you're more likely to see something like that opening in the area. https://www.firstwatch.com/ https://www.anotherbrokenegg.com/

Old 04-29-2018, 10:25 AM

5,132 posts, read 6,127,528 times
Quote:
We have book fairs, film festivals, shrimp festival which is next week and yes we have community theatre which does sell out periodically.

We are getting an Aldi, Panda Express and Hardee's off island............and with the tremendous growth right now and in the future I believe commercial growth will continue to climb in the shape of stores and restaurants.

Again, trying not to be negative here but Amelia Island has been discovered and as mentioned real estate which includes those for sale and rent are seeing tremendous price increases. Our little coastal town is packed 24/7. If you live on island get yourself a little scooter and you will be all set

Take the time to read the link below..........it is a bit eye opening towards the direction we are headed.

What now? The future of affordable housing | Fernandina Beach News-Leader, Fernandina Beach, Florida

Old 04-29-2018, 10:35 AM

6,406 posts, read 4,899,454 times
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know about the fumes coming from the paper mill. Are these fumes only on the island? I wonder if these fumes may be contributing to any health problems such asthma or other respiratory illnesses? I suffer from allergies and sometimes respiratory infections due to colds.
There have been some threads about this issue on this forum. Check back a bit or do a search.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know about the fumes coming from the paper mill. Are these fumes only on the island? I wonder if these fumes may be contributing to any health problems such asthma or other respiratory illnesses? I suffer from allergies and sometimes respiratory infections due to colds.
A few articles on it:

Mill Emissions for Sulfur Dioxide Sit Fernandina Beach in Nonattainment Area | NCFL Independent
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ina-beach.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...pollution.html

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2018 at 05:32 AM..

Old 05-01-2018, 02:56 PM

These articles are very enlightening. Thank you for the information.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:10 PM

Hello,
I read about the alligator that was recently found on a homeowner's property in Central Florida and in a pool. Has anyone in the Northern Florida area experienced the same thing? Do I have to worry about this
occurring in Fernandina Beach?
I thought the further North I live the less likely I would encounter alligators.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Hello,
I read about the alligator that was recently found on a homeowner's property in Central Florida and in a pool. Has anyone in the Northern Florida area experienced the same thing? Do I have to worry about this
occurring in Fernandina Beach?
I thought the further North I live the less likely I would encounter alligators.
That's untrue unfortunately as they live as far north as SC I think. However their tendency is for swamps, canals and larger lakes/ponds. In-town Fernandina Beach doesn't have the canals, lakes or ponds seen in areas like where the alligator was found in the pool in Central Florida, so the chances of having one walk down a street for many blocks or more to arrive at your home are slim to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida