Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:42 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,847,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Sorry to verge off topic, but this is something that amazes me about Californians. They all seem to think that Hawaii is just around the corner. I actually met a guy from California (Bay Area) when I was out in Hawaii most recently, and he said that his family had popped over "for the weekend" because "it's so close."

I'll bet you wouldn't describe Washington, DC as being "so close" to La Jolla, but in point of fact it is actually closer to there than Maui is.

Maybe it's psychological; there aren't any cities in-between San Diego and Hawaii, whereas there are plenty of them in-between San Diego and Washington. I don't know.

As far as the topic of this thread . . . I spent every summer of my life, from birth up through age 21, in Florida. The humidity was miserable. But you know what? It's miserable where I live now, too (Baltimore area). And we don't get the ocean breezes to help us. On the other hand, though, the humidity season here is shorter than it is in Florida. So there is that.

I was saying that La Jolla is close to Maui COMPARED TO THE EAST COAST.
Obviously, it takes 5 hours from LA to get to Maui. But it takes much more than that to get to Maui from Tampa or Paris, where I have my other homes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 01:10 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I was saying that La Jolla is close to Maui COMPARED TO THE EAST COAST.
Obviously, it takes 5 hours from LA to get to Maui. But it takes much more than that to get to Maui from Tampa or Paris, where I have my other homes!

That's not how I read it, but OK, thanks for the clarification.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:41 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I do not find the humidity and heat to be all that bad in Florida. I make the trip down there at least four times a year and have experienced all four seasons in Florida. Yes, Summer can be unbearable at times and it may last longer than the other parts of the US, but I find the worst humidity and heat to be during July-August in places like Middle Tennessee, Kentucky (especially along the Ohio River), St. Louis, and midland areas of South Carolina.
Question... have you spent a summer in interior Florida before? Have you been to Orlando in summer or north central FL in summer? It's the same as somewhere like Jackson, MS or Memphis, TN or St. Louis, MO in the summer. Honestly the same applies to anywhere in Florida that isn't the seashore. Summers in northern Texas were far more tolerable than in South Florida. The difference is even places like St. Louis or Dallas will cool down to the low 70s over night, sometimes even high 60s. I can't even tell you how many times Miami had a summer low of 80 degrees. 80 degree lows with swampy humidity... how is that better than a 72 degree low with still high but more moderate humidity?

Have y'all forgotten this little river in Florida called the EVERGLADES? The humidity there puts the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers to shame.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:32 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
People who like cold weather lol.

I've lived in 8 cities, 2 countries and I rank Florida near the top. I love Florida's weather including the humidity. I hate the feeling of dry skin or having the need to put body lotion every night. I like warm to hot weather, if anything Winter is my least favorite season in Florida.
Yup,me too.
I love Florida any time of the year and whatever the heat and humidity.
The only thing I have to do is change the time of day when I exercise so maybe in the summer I got for a run in the evening rather than during the day.
But it never ceases to amaze my how many people in Florida spend so much of their time cooped up indoors with the A/C going strong and then wonder why they break out in a sweat when they step outside for a couple of minutes.
Obesity has a lot to do with it.No-one seems to walk anywhere anymore.They go from A/C house to A/C car to drive 100 yards to load up on a supersize from a drive-thru then drive back to their A/C home and then wonder why they find it so uncomfortable in the heat.
If you can't get healthy in Florida with its glorious weather and endless fresh produce and huge selection of really healthy food where can you ?

Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I hate humidity. Everywhere I read states that Fl is the worst place to be known for its harsh humidity. Despite this, we decided to book an 8 day trip and surprised to say I enjoyed my trip tremendously. I didnt feel the humidity at all (it's been around 48% same as back home in oregon). I love all the activities. We didnt go to any theme parks but the beach and stroll walks were enough to keep us entertained. Didnt really see any bugs as well. I got bit a few times but barely noticed. My kids weren't bit. Overall I didnt see any cons aside from the ugly road work. Traffic wasnt toi bad either. So my question is, when does florida show it's bad side? I'm definitely staying away from miami from now on, but the beach towns (fort Myers in particular) was nice. The husband is actually thinking about moving here. We're from oregon and getting tired of the rain. TIA.

Try visiting Ft.Myers in August, you may change your mind in a hurry.
I did.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Yup,me too.
I love Florida any time of the year and whatever the heat and humidity.
The only thing I have to do is change the time of day when I exercise so maybe in the summer I got for a run in the evening rather than during the day.
But it never ceases to amaze my how many people in Florida spend so much of their time cooped up indoors with the A/C going strong and then wonder why they break out in a sweat when they step outside for a couple of minutes.
Obesity has a lot to do with it.No-one seems to walk anywhere anymore.They go from A/C house to A/C car to drive 100 yards to load up on a supersize from a drive-thru then drive back to their A/C home and then wonder why they find it so uncomfortable in the heat.
If you can't get healthy in Florida with its glorious weather and endless fresh produce and huge selection of really healthy food where can you ?
Yep many who have problems with humidity are overweight and lazy.

I have learned that high humidity is better for you than low humidity and while I hate being damp at times, it beats dry skin, sore throat, chapped lips and potential lung damage.

Just google dry air and health. While most of it speaks about winter dryness, the problem is the same regardless of the season.

I should add that humid air is an issue if you have allergies, but then so is dry air as it is the spores, etc that are the problem.

Doctors used to send people to AZ with dry air when they had breathing problems, but that is rare now as the dry air exacerbates lung issues.

Last edited by expatCA; 05-16-2018 at 03:24 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 09:15 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Florida been getting a lot of love lately

Old 05-17-2018, 01:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Florida been getting a lot of love lately
That is why the State is growing beyond birth and immigration. More people move in than out.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:54 PM

105 posts, read 550,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Sorry to verge off topic, but this is something that amazes me about Californians. They all seem to think that Hawaii is just around the corner. I actually met a guy from California (Bay Area) when I was out in Hawaii most recently, and he said that his family had popped over "for the weekend" because "it's so close."

I'll bet you wouldn't describe Washington, DC as being "so close" to La Jolla, but in point of fact it is actually closer to there than Maui is.

Maybe it's psychological; there aren't any cities in-between San Diego and Hawaii, whereas there are plenty of them in-between San Diego and Washington. I don't know.

As far as the topic of this thread . . . I spent every summer of my life, from birth up through age 21, in Florida. The humidity was miserable. But you know what? It's miserable where I live now, too (Baltimore area). And we don't get the ocean breezes to help us. On the other hand, though, the humidity season here is shorter than it is in Florida. So there is that.
I think this is common with West Coast People bc of how spread out everything is from the Rockies-West so so a 4-5 hour flight is not a big deal compared to someone that grew up in the Northeast.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Question... have you spent a summer in interior Florida before? Have you been to Orlando in summer or north central FL in summer? It's the same as somewhere like Jackson, MS or Memphis, TN or St. Louis, MO in the summer. Honestly the same applies to anywhere in Florida that isn't the seashore. Summers in northern Texas were far more tolerable than in South Florida. The difference is even places like St. Louis or Dallas will cool down to the low 70s over night, sometimes even high 60s. I can't even tell you how many times Miami had a summer low of 80 degrees. 80 degree lows with swampy humidity... how is that better than a 72 degree low with still high but more moderate humidity?

Have y'all forgotten this little river in Florida called the EVERGLADES? The humidity there puts the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers to shame.
I spend all my free time at the seashore. You didn't mention east or central Texas summers - they stink. I spent a year at Ft Hood and when you took a shower you never knew when to stop drying yourself as you sweat to fast to finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida