Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 11:04 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Going to the beach here is a real PITA, if we plan to go we have to leave early and even then with the allowed camping at the beach it's futile, if it's a hot day forgot about it. Even up into Orange County it can be a challenge, but San Clemente has a little better parking and walkable for the most part.

As I stated, many do not go to the beach in SoFla, it's not uncommon at all.
The easiest beach I found to go to in OC was Balboa with a big parking lot. Beyond that my wife and I would go to Oceanside and park near the pier. As a teen in the 60's Newport was easy to go to in fact all the beaches were. Then OC grew. Usually could find a parking spot within a couple of blocks. Used to love Encinitas and Carlsbad, but in the 70's you could park on the sand just off the hwy. San Clement is still nice, I was there on my last trip to CA.

My overall favorite beach in CA is Corona Del Mar State Beach. If you can get a parking place a great beach.

Now in FL I am visiting a lot of beaches and aside from Amelia Island's rocky beach, I have enjoyed them all. Got a lot more to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 11:36 AM

782 posts, read 759,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The easiest beach I found to go to in OC was Balboa with a big parking lot. Beyond that my wife and I would go to Oceanside and park near the pier. As a teen in the 60's Newport was easy to go to in fact all the beaches were. Then OC grew. Usually could find a parking spot within a couple of blocks. Used to love Encinitas and Carlsbad, but in the 70's you could park on the sand just off the hwy. San Clement is still nice, I was there on my last trip to CA.

My overall favorite beach in CA is Corona Del Mar State Beach. If you can get a parking place a great beach.

Now in FL I am visiting a lot of beaches and aside from Amelia Island's rocky beach, I have enjoyed them all. Got a lot more to visit.
I don't care for Oceanside personally, it's too gritty for my taste, not really a Hollywood FL vibe, but sorta. Prefer other places. Dana Point Harbor is still nice even with all the bird droppings.

Nothing here close to what we loved in FL, totally different, cannot compare one to the other, they are not two in the same.

I'm sure things were different back in the day here, much goes for other places where the population boomed, still lot's of vacant land but unlike Miami Beach, there are no parking garages within a few blocks to the beach, maybe that's good because SoFla sprawl is something we do not miss.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
I don't care for Oceanside personally, it's too gritty for my taste, not really a Hollywood FL vibe, but sorta. Prefer other places. Dana Point Harbor is still nice even with all the bird droppings.

Nothing here close to what we loved in FL, totally different, cannot compare one to the other, they are not two in the same.

I'm sure things were different back in the day here, much goes for other places where the population boomed, still lot's of vacant land but unlike Miami Beach, there are no parking garages within a few blocks to the beach, maybe that's good because SoFla sprawl is something we do not miss.
The downtown of Oceanside is not that appealing, but the pier area is. Love to grab a lunch at Ruby's on the end of the pier. I do not care for a Hollywood vibe as it is phony. Dan Point harbor is one of my favorite places to visit and grab a bite to eat on the bay. Can't remember the restaurants name, but good food.

CA has beautiful beaches and cold water and lousy access due to the population. Fl, in general, has better access and nice water to walk into. Depends on what a person likes, scenery or the water. I bought in FL and in the difference in housing costs (I could have bought cash in CA), I and my wife can visit at will, enjoy all CA has to offer and then leave for home with the savings paying for the trips for years to come.

I will be in CA (SoCal) later this year unless plans change

Old 05-06-2018, 06:13 PM

105 posts, read 550,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I hate humidity. Everywhere I read states that Fl is the worst place to be known for its harsh humidity. Despite this, we decided to book an 8 day trip and surprised to say I enjoyed my trip tremendously. I didnt feel the humidity at all (it's been around 48% same as back home in oregon). I love all the activities. We didnt go to any theme parks but the beach and stroll walks were enough to keep us entertained. Didnt really see any bugs as well. I got bit a few times but barely noticed. My kids weren't bit. Overall I didnt see any cons aside from the ugly road work. Traffic wasnt toi bad either. So my question is, when does florida show it's bad side? I'm definitely staying away from miami from now on, but the beach towns (fort Myers in particular) was nice. The husband is actually thinking about moving here. We're from oregon and getting tired of the rain. TIA.
the Internet and this board is going to be mostly negative. That is the nature of city-data.

Florida is not perfect but it's not nearly as bad as most of the drivel written here. If you hate cold weather sacrificing steamy/stormy 4-5 months for the 7-8 months of mostly good weather sounds better than 40 degree Aprils in the Midwest to me.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:24 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Where did you find the rocky beaches in Fernandina? I know we have quite a few areas where it seems there is nothing other than crushed shells to walk on but the only rocks I have seen have been at Fort Clinch on the north end of the island and those were ballast rocks.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:30 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
I am not a huge Florida fan but I agree it offers a better quality of life than California especially for people that are trying to raise a family, the housing is much cheaper and so are the taxes. Jobs don't pay as well but the taxes even it out. Florida is less crowded than Coastal California as well traffic is not as bad.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Where did you find the rocky beaches in Fernandina? I know we have quite a few areas where it seems there is nothing other than crushed shells to walk on but the only rocks I have seen have been at Fort Clinch on the north end of the island and those were ballast rocks.
Yes more shells than rock/pebbles. Just not a nice sandy beach. My wife and I have visited there for years and like the area.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I am not a huge Florida fan but I agree it offers a better quality of life than California especially for people that are trying to raise a family, the housing is much cheaper and so are the taxes. Jobs don't pay as well but the taxes even it out. Florida is less crowded than Coastal California as well traffic is not as bad.
And near at least the Atlantic has far better air quality than CA.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:52 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yeah it's definitely a lot more in the summer, but people say that as if it's a bad thing. I personally like it.
Gotta agree. I was in Miami late July early August and it was humid and hot, however, I found myself still able to function. Having lived in the desert southwest for the past 20 years the humidity was a nice change. It also cooled down at night.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:07 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I agree! This is why I live in Tampa and not in La Jolla, where I really wanted to live. Especially since it's so close to Maui where I have a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida