Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 12:25 AM

24,348 posts, read 26,791,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Not when the system is being gamed against drivers to extort fines, while increasing the rate of rear end collisions at traffic intersections

Florida Secretly Shortened Yellow Light Times To Bust More Drivers With Red-Light Cameras | Miami New Times
Could not care less, yellow means stop, not speed up. Hit them where it hurts. I don't care who gets that money, I'd rather have people slam on their breaks at a yellow light then drive through a red light at full speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 06:56 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,260,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Could not care less, yellow means stop, not speed up. Hit them where it hurts. I don't care who gets that money, I'd rather have people slam on their breaks at a yellow light then drive through a red light at full speed.
Sounds like you want the government picking winners and losers. Neither situation is safe but the red light cameras are worse, basically a government sanctioned racket, the kind of big govt nonsense you would expect to see in Europe or California.

I'm thrilled many cities have said they will NOT reinstate them as the data clearly showed they were unsafe and were being used to steal money from drivers.

If you want red light accountability, step up police patrols at intersections. Let them make the judgement, not some camera system

Old 05-05-2018, 07:35 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,675,132 times
Quote:
It's more dangerous to stop on yellow, when you are driving on a 55 MPH road you can't stop on a dime and if you try the car behind you may end up killing you.

I'd rather someone ride under the light as it turns red. The lights are timed so that after the light turns red there area few seconds before the other side turns green anyway.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:15 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,299,856 times
Quote:
At the cost of more rear end collisions. Equally stupid and dangerous, which is why many municipalities won't re Institute them
Rear-end collisions come about because of stupid drivers who think they can follow close. If people knew every red light they ran would cost them big time they would be more careful and not follow so close if a car was in front of them. Stupidity at work causes rear-end collisions.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:16 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,299,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's more dangerous to stop on yellow, when you are driving on a 55 MPH road you can't stop on a dime and if you try the car behind you may end up killing you.

I'd rather someone ride under the light as it turns red. The lights are timed so that after the light turns red there area few seconds before the other side turns green anyway.
The yellow light timing allows for cars too close to drive through at the max speed. It is idiots who totally ignore any speed law who have a problem.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:32 AM

Red light runners should be arrested, so a fine is still better than nothing. Once again, dont tail gate and you will be fine. Worst case scenario, I’d rather be rear ended by a car going thr same direction as me than get hit at full speed from the opposite direction.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you want the government picking winners and losers. Neither situation is safe but the red light cameras are worse, basically a government sanctioned racket, the kind of big govt nonsense you would expect to see in Europe or California.

I'm thrilled many cities have said they will NOT reinstate them as the data clearly showed they were unsafe and were being used to steal money from drivers.

If you want red light accountability, step up police patrols at intersections. Let them make the judgement, not some camera system
What I find funny is you are all about big government and gun laws yet red lights, OMG THAT IS GOVERNMENT OVER-REACH! You do know a lot more people die in accidents than getting killed in mass shootings right?!

Old 05-05-2018, 08:49 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,260,421 times
Quote:
What I find funny is you are all about big government and gun laws yet red lights, OMG THAT IS GOVERNMENT OVER-REACH! You do know a lot more people die in accidents than getting killed in mass shootings right?!

You're picking the type of car accident you prefer

Btw https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshmax...awed-argument/

Old 05-05-2018, 08:49 AM

3,267 posts, read 2,094,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

I agree, though I do understand and share bmw's concern. The driving culture here is atrocious and I put between 35k and 60k miles on my vehicles every year (and have for over a decade) so I get to experience it more than most.

There's something like an average of 10 traffic accidents per-county, per-day in Florida. The most optimistic estimate I've seen for reporting follow-through in studies is 44%, which likely means that 23 traffic accidents per-county, per-day, is a more reliable (and potentially conservative) estimation. Since we know some areas (largely due to geographical location and population density) are seeing significantly less than the average number of traffic accidents, we can also conclude that other areas (with greater population densities) must then be seeing more. I'm almost reluctant to look up the county-by-county data for obvious reasons.

If the reporting follow-through rate is indeed only 44%, that would translate to an average of one traffic accident for every 35+/- members of Florida's population during any given year. That's just an average, and when factoring in those areas with greater rates of occurrence it's not difficult to understand how the problem can be seen as something of an epidemic from a statistical perspective.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:01 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,187,137 times
i had an experience with one of these cameras, and, though I hate red light runners, my own experience reflects how stupid the system is.

I went through a yellow light that turned red while going through, and I thought the camera went off. Ok--guilty. So I waited and waited for a mailed violation, but it never came. I then assumed maybe the light was still yellow when I went through and I was mistaken.

Two months later, I started receiving those traffic school postcards in the mail. I know what that means--right? So I went online to the Sarasota County site and discovered that I had now a citation for running the red light. (First you get a mailed violation that was $150, and not noted on the record, but if not paid, it becomes a more expensive citation that is visible to insurance companies online).

I was stunned, having never received the violation in the mail. I worked for a high profile law firm, so I called the police officer in charge of the cameras to find out what was going on.

Here's what I discovered. I never had received a mailed violation, and I personally suspect the reason for that is because the giant corporation based in AZ had a giant mailing facility based in TX that mails out violations. And we all know how efficient those giant mail facilities are.

I then asked the officer why I had not been sent the citation that it became after the non-payment of the violation, as he said they are sent out by certified mail. He did some research and found the receipt for the certified mail citation, and it clearly was signed by someone other than me--name was not even close and it was not my spouse, so I never received the citation either.

The cop was pretty nice about it and I had a clean record, but the best he could do was knock it back down to being just a violation fee. He could not get it removed from the public record--bureaucracy, etc. I paid the violation fee, but honestly felt like one of those people who was screwed by a system based on inefficient greedy corporation and a city who rips off people to increase their revenue. That is the reason for the cameras. City revenue--not safety.

I discovered later that if you go to court, you are most likely let off because they cannot prove who was driving the car (person gets the ticket, not the car). In other words--with this revenue-generating scam, people are 'guilty until proven innocent.' It is definitely unconstitutional. Thankfully, they've gotten rid of them in many cities, but watch out--I think they still use them in Sarasota, where I thankfully no longer live or drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida