Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:21 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Job interview has opened up in South Florida (NOT Miami, though). I just made my plane reservation last night. I've been countless times, for a couple of weeks at a time, and I liked it. The only part that gets to me a little bit is the flatness, but the heat and all that don't...that much...I do like the diverse cultures in the population, the ethnic eats, the beaches, and the weather the other 8 months of the year!

So, back to Californians, do you see them moving in? Do they like it and do they stay? Which parts of the state do you seem them heading for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Job interview has opened up in South Florida (NOT Miami, though). I just made my plane reservation last night. I've been countless times, for a couple of weeks at a time, and I liked it. The only part that gets to me a little bit is the flatness, but the heat and all that don't...that much...I do like the diverse cultures in the population, the ethnic eats, the beaches, and the weather the other 8 months of the year!

So, back to Californians, do you see them moving in? Do they like it and do they stay? Which parts of the state do you seem them heading for?
I don't see Californians moving here, they don't like taking a 75% pay cut. The good news is Florida pays with "sunshine and smiles".

Old 03-29-2008, 05:43 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
We have some Californians here(Sarasota County) but not nearly as many Californians as people from the North East.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:26 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

Just a quick thing to remember –

I have several friends who moved from California to south Florida. There is a big difference in climate from say LA or San Diego….. and south Florida. California is temperate, south Florida is tropical. The summer temps in southern California are what the winter temps are in South Florida. In fact, I have several friends who thought the southern California coast - was too cold of a climate after they lived in South Florida.

So just think about living in the tropics – the good and the bad.

Cheers.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 AM

88 posts, read 413,719 times
I moved to Jupiter/Tequesta from So Cal just over two years ago, and would move again. Two others on my block also moved from So. Cal. before me. I see about one Ca license plate a week. So Californians are moving to So. Fla. and moving out of Cali to other places.

As for income, I actually made about the same as in So Cal. So. Fla is also presents a better opportunity for business growth. Housing and land is much, much less expensive that So. Cal. for what you get.

There diversity in culture is not the same as the diversity in culture in Cali. In Ca the diversity is more from Mexico, Asia, and some middle east. Here the diversity comes from Cuba, Haiti, other eastern Latin countries, and New York/Jersey. Restaurant dining isn't very good in Fla either, albeit there are some spots, but we now eat in most of the time.

The beaches in So. Fla are beautiful, but no real waves. The air and water temp and lack of people make up for all the above. The entire state of Fla has as many people as Los Angeles. You can still buy a house inexpensive and in a good area, and people are generally much friendlier than in So Cal. In So Cal. I new very few of my neighbors, here it is more of a Mayberry and everyone knows everyone.

The politics in So Fla are a mess, and the local leaders lack common sense and purpose. Local and county governments do not know what they are doing and have an attitude of entitlement and self righteousness.

Overall, So. Californians who grew up there in the 60-mid 80's will love So. Florida once they go north of Miami Dade and Broward Counties. So. Fla. is sort of a poor man's Hawaii without the Aloha spirit, trade winds, music or good food.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:56 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
I would have to say there are not as many Californians moving to South Florida than from the North East. I am looking to move to California to get away from our weather here, its too hot and humid for us. I think most Californians stay in the West like Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, etc.

If you have time (which looks like you may not) you should visit in the worst part of summer June through October (5 months). May and November are warm like summer but not as humid. The weather is the big difference from Cali.

The Latin Culture in South Florida isn't the same as in Cali. I have friends out in Santa Monica and they lived in South Florida and will never move back here, one reason being the latin culture here in South Florida. The hispanics in Cali are not as pushy, demanding, arrogant, etc as the hispanics in South Florida (I say South Florida because its happening in Broward County and moving north to Palm Beach soon if not already)

Old 03-29-2008, 09:15 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
the weather is unbearably hot for 6 months and uhave to stay north of west palm beach otherwise its like living in a latin 3rd world country

Old 03-29-2008, 10:48 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
After living in Florida for six years and moving to Seattle in May of last year, I am going back to Florida in June. I thought about California for a minute before deciding to go back to Florida, but I don't think the water temperatures would be warm enough for me. Florida water is nice and warm.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty911 View Post
I moved to Jupiter/Tequesta from So Cal just over two years ago, and would move again. Two others on my block also moved from So. Cal. before me. I see about one Ca license plate a week. So Californians are moving to So. Fla. and moving out of Cali to other places.

As for income, I actually made about the same as in So Cal. So. Fla is also presents a better opportunity for business growth. Housing and land is much, much less expensive that So. Cal. for what you get.

There diversity in culture is not the same as the diversity in culture in Cali. In Ca the diversity is more from Mexico, Asia, and some middle east. Here the diversity comes from Cuba, Haiti, other eastern Latin countries, and New York/Jersey. Restaurant dining isn't very good in Fla either, albeit there are some spots, but we now eat in most of the time.

The beaches in So. Fla are beautiful, but no real waves. The air and water temp and lack of people make up for all the above. The entire state of Fla has as many people as Los Angeles. You can still buy a house inexpensive and in a good area, and people are generally much friendlier than in So Cal. In So Cal. I new very few of my neighbors, here it is more of a Mayberry and everyone knows everyone.

The politics in So Fla are a mess, and the local leaders lack common sense and purpose. Local and county governments do not know what they are doing and have an attitude of entitlement and self righteousness.

Overall, So. Californians who grew up there in the 60-mid 80's will love So. Florida once they go north of Miami Dade and Broward Counties. So. Fla. is sort of a poor man's Hawaii without the Aloha spirit, trade winds, music or good food.
Right, the position actually offers only a little less than the CA equiv..and there's no state incme tax.

Yes, I know that the ethnic make-up is different.

I love the ocean there. No waves? Not a surfer, no problem. You get a better beach but give away mountains.

That's exactly the time period I was in CA, so I think I know what you mean!

THANKS!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I would have to say there are not as many Californians moving to South Florida than from the North East. I am looking to move to California to get away from our weather here, its too hot and humid for us. I think most Californians stay in the West like Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, etc.

If you have time (which looks like you may not) you should visit in the worst part of summer June through October (5 months). May and November are warm like summer but not as humid. The weather is the big difference from Cali.

The Latin Culture in South Florida isn't the same as in Cali. I have friends out in Santa Monica and they lived in South Florida and will never move back here, one reason being the latin culture here in South Florida. The hispanics in Cali are not as pushy, demanding, arrogant, etc as the hispanics in South Florida (I say South Florida because its happening in Broward County and moving north to Palm Beach soon if not already)
True. There have been the waves to OR/WA and to AZ/NV. It's expected that FL picks up Northeasterners...for decades. For some CA people, FL is just too far. From the other states, you can just drive over.

I have. Every time I've been there, it's been summer. Yes, very hot. But, IMO, not as hot as LAS or PHX, even with the humidity. 110 is 110.

True. Cubans have a different vibe than Mexicans. Cubans are "East Coast" while Mexicans are "West Coast" in style, sort of.

Good points!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida