Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 06:55 AM

330 posts, read 249,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Anyone with half a brain will just order ahead and skip the lines. I don't have the patience to wait at any deli, and that includes specialty stores. Even without lines it's a waste of time to stand there watching someone slice up 5 or 6 different blocks of meat and cheese when you can have it ready upon arrival.
What if they are already in the store shopping for something else and decide they want a sub? Does that make them stupid too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 07:31 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
So does Publix. That post was very false.
It's always directly across from the deli counter. Every single Publix I've seen has them.
Oh no, that’s isn’t what I meant. Of course you can buy packaged deli meats there. What I mean is that I wish they had trays of presliced ham, turkey and whatever is on special behind the deli counter.

Deli counter at any store in Ohio: “I’d like a pound of the ham that is on special, please.” Deli person reaches in to the tray of presliced ham, slaps it onto the scale, bags and tags it, and I’m on my way in about 2 minutes.

Any deli in Georgia, not just Publix: Stand in line for 20 minutes. “I’d like a pound of the ham that is on special, please.” Deli worker goes to the cooler, searches for a knife to open the ham, places it on the slicer, slices a piece and asks you if it’s the right thickness. Begins to slice the ham, slaps it on the scale, bags and tags. Asks me if I want any cheese. “Yes, I’d like a pound of Swiss cheese”. Deli person takes the ham to another area, wraps the ham, takes ham to the cooler. Cleans off the slicer. Goes to another slicer for cheese, and we go through the same process again, except she puts annoying and unnecessary pieces of plastic between each cheese slice. This process has taken 15-20 minutes and several customers have bailed out. It seems like a bad business decision because they must lose a lot of deli business.

I always use the online ordering now, which I appreciate.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
My Publix only started putting pre-sliced meats out at the deli after Sprouts opened next door.
My Sprouts has fresh pre-sliced meats at the deli.
It took my Publix about a year to copy Sprouts.
My Publix has also put a basket in the produce section offering "free fruit for kids".
Sprouts (and Whole Foods) does this as well.
It's been funny to see all the things Publix started doing after Sprouts opened next door!
I’m in GA, and I wish they’d do that here. Do they presliced the Boars Head meats? My Publix blamed the fact they don’t do it on Boars Head’s policy.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:36 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,840,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh no, that’s isn’t what I meant. Of course you can buy packaged deli meats there. What I mean is that I wish they had trays of presliced ham, turkey and whatever is on special behind the deli counter.

Deli counter at any store in Ohio: “I’d like a pound of the ham that is on special, please.” Deli person reaches in to the tray of presliced ham, slaps it onto the scale, bags and tags it, and I’m on my way in about 2 minutes.

Any deli in Georgia, not just Publix: Stand in line for 20 minutes. “I’d like a pound of the ham that is on special, please.” Deli worker goes to the cooler, searches for a knife to open the ham, places it on the slicer, slices a piece and asks you if it’s the right thickness. Begins to slice the ham, slaps it on the scale, bags and tags. Asks me if I want any cheese. “Yes, I’d like a pound of Swiss cheese”. Deli person takes the ham to another area, wraps the ham, takes ham to the cooler. Cleans off the slicer. Goes to another slicer for cheese, and we go through the same process again, except she puts annoying and unnecessary pieces of plastic between each cheese slice. This process has taken 15-20 minutes and several customers have bailed out. It seems like a bad business decision because they must lose a lot of deli business.

I always use the online ordering now, which I appreciate.

Sprouts has this.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I’m in GA, and I wish they’d do that here. Do they presliced the Boars Head meats? My Publix blamed the fact they don’t do it on Boars Head’s policy.
Yes, after Sprouts opened with their trays of pre-sliced meats, my Publix brought in a cooler to the deli. An additional cooler.
And that cooler has half-pound bags of BH pre-sliced meats.
The problem is they are only half pound bags. The other problem is it's never the ones on sale. The other problem they never have the meats I want.
So I do online ordering.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Yes, after Sprouts opened with their trays of pre-sliced meats, my Publix brought in a cooler to the deli. An additional cooler.
And that cooler has half-pound bags of BH pre-sliced meats.
The problem is they are only half pound bags. The other problem is it's never the ones on sale. The other problem they never have the meats I want.
So I do online ordering.
Ok, that’s not what I’m talking about either, but it might be their work around, to help the problem.

What I mean is big open trays behind the glass, of thin sliced meats, fresh daily, and sometimes several times a day. There was never a question of freshness, because everything turned over every few hours. There must be some state regulations involved here somehow.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:59 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
What if they are already in the store shopping for something else and decide they want a sub? Does that make them stupid too?
In that case, order at the counter before you start shopping, go shopping, and then return once you’re done. Sub is ready. Again, why would anyone NOT do this if given the option?

Old 06-08-2018, 08:02 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Hmm... My local Publix normally has their meats and cheese that are on sale pre-sliced and bagged as “combos.” I know it’s not quite the same as what Sprouts and some other stores do, but they do have this. That being said, I’m with Sinatra’s: I order online. It’s ready when I get there with my name on it.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:21 AM

330 posts, read 249,097 times
Quote:
In that case, order at the counter before you start shopping, go shopping, and then return once you’re done. Sub is ready. Again, why would anyone NOT do this if given the option?
Er, because they decided in the middle or end of their shopping they wanted a sub?

Old 06-08-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Ok, that’s not what I’m talking about either, but it might be their work around, to help the problem.

What I mean is big open trays behind the glass, of thin sliced meats, fresh daily, and sometimes several times a day. There was never a question of freshness, because everything turned over every few hours. There must be some state regulations involved here somehow.
Ohhhhh I get what you are saying. You mean like this?

https://paninihappy.com/wp-content/u...elicounter.jpg

Yeah I dunno why they don't do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida