Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 PM

29 posts, read 24,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Culture wise you feel at home in Florida?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that because everywhere in Florida is so different.

Good luck and welcome to the US!
I probably should have specified Orlando. That's where most of our time has been spent thus far, and where we'll be starting out, although we're very excited to explore all of the other areas (and cultures!) once we start looking for our own roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 09:09 AM

17,176 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking_Sun View Post
Thanks guys!

We do live in the GTA, but it's a bit... much. Mostly traffic (constant, constant traffic) although we enjoy downtown in moderation. We much prefer Montreal. The traffic is still awful, but the aggressive driving style is easier to deal with than the dangerously whimsical drifting in the GTA. Florida driving makes us laugh. :-)

We aren't wild partiers, but in our 30's we aren't dead - and we love lively and loud environments.

Will definitely look into the app, and as well we were going to check out some local meetup groups if people still use those.
Yeah I'm not a fan of GTA... Miami drivers are VERY similar by the way: not particularly aggressive, but dangerous, reckless, all over the place.

I think you may find Orlando to be to your liking. It's a good medium of quiet residential areas with quite a few "loud and lively" environments. I'm in my 30s as well, born and raised in Montreal, and I enjoy it. It lacks the urban atmosphere that Montreal and to some extent Toronto have (I never found Toronto to be particularly urban-feeling outside of downtown -- which is massive -- and the Yonge corridor going North, but it has its charm, and there certainly are lots of things to do.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:32 AM

42 posts, read 58,467 times
Congrats! Try to find a location that has little traffic. I wouldn't be able to stand the daily traffic that afflicts the majority of Florida. That's why we're looking at less touristy areas like small town Punta Gorda.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:55 AM

17,176 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog920 View Post
Congrats! Try to find a location that has little traffic. I wouldn't be able to stand the daily traffic that afflicts the majority of Florida. That's why we're looking at less touristy areas like small town Punta Gorda.
They're coming from Toronto. I'm sure they're plenty used to dealing with traffic. Toronto and Montreal traffic is horrible. Luckily public transit in both cities is pretty efficient. Coming from there, I'm pretty sure they'll be fine even in the worst parts of Florida.

Toronto:

Montreal:

Old 06-14-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHernandez View Post
great...another Canadian
Thanks for the welcome! :-)

Old 06-14-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yeah I'm not a fan of GTA... Miami drivers are VERY similar by the way: not particularly aggressive, but dangerous, reckless, all over the place.

I think you may find Orlando to be to your liking. It's a good medium of quiet residential areas with quite a few "loud and lively" environments. I'm in my 30s as well, born and raised in Montreal, and I enjoy it. It lacks the urban atmosphere that Montreal and to some extent Toronto have (I never found Toronto to be particularly urban-feeling outside of downtown -- which is massive -- and the Yonge corridor going North, but it has its charm, and there certainly are lots of things to do.
The thing with Toronto is it can feel very spread out. It's not really got a "square" downtown - more of a series of stringy long districts. It can be hard to get around efficiently.

We were just in Montreal last week and always love it. Just don't love winter. ;-)

Old 06-15-2018, 04:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Arcenal you post great pic of Montreal which i describe as nothing but traffic jams and potholes and expensive parking if you can find it.
Seeking_Sun glad you can experience the dream of moving to Florida, once you have settled in and some time has passed get back to this topic and let us know what you think of your experience in Florida.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:03 AM

42 posts, read 58,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
They're coming from Toronto. I'm sure they're plenty used to dealing with traffic. Toronto and Montreal traffic is horrible. Luckily public transit in both cities is pretty efficient. Coming from there, I'm pretty sure they'll be fine even in the worst parts of Florida.

Toronto:

Montreal:

Gross. No thanks. I shudder just looking at that traffic! =) I don't know how people do it. Crime is my #1 deterrent for a location; traffic is my second.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHernandez View Post
great...another Canadian, just what we need in FL..go home to Trudeau
So, what I'm hearing here is that we'll fit right in! :-D Thank you once again for the encouragement. Don't worry, I'll be bringing plenty of maple syrup - although, admittedly, it isn't HALF as sweet as your personality.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
once you have settled in and some time has passed get back to this topic and let us know what you think of your experience in Florida.
Will do! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida