Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 01:08 PM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

(You need some green vegetables in your diet.)
Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 01:26 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Why should I schlep to Target to buy Bounty paper towels, coffee, toilet paper, Coke, granola bars, chicken stock and canned tomatoes when I can have Target ship that stuff to me for free for the same price (or lower) (and free shipping) as going to buy it at Publix, Walmart, etc.?

It's a no brainer.
Imagine my surprise when I went to Target.com to try and have Coke delivered to my house. It's unavailable for shipping. Now I can order it online and go and pick it up and the 4 for $11 price pretty much matches Publix's Buy2Get2, but I can't have it delivered at that price. I could use the "Target Restock," but then they charge $4.99 per 12 pack (plus $2.99 shipping unless I have a RedCard), certainly not "the same price or lower."

Also guess that shoots a hole in your "Publix never has anything on BOGO that I buy" argument.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:52 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Imagine my surprise when I went to Target.com to try and have Coke delivered to my house. It's unavailable for shipping. Now I can order it online and go and pick it up and the 4 for $11 price pretty much matches Publix's Buy2Get2, but I can't have it delivered at that price. I could use the "Target Restock," but then they charge $4.99 per 12 pack (plus $2.99 shipping unless I have a RedCard), certainly not "the same price or lower."

Also guess that shoots a hole in your "Publix never has anything on BOGO that I buy" argument.

Hmmmm your address seems to be a problem. Maybe you should move?

I had no idea that Publix puts Coke on BOGO. That's great info., thanks!!!!!!!

Will that make me stalk the Publix circular to buy Coke (or anything else) when it's on BOGO? Absolutely not. My time is a lot more valuable than that.

I trust that Amazon, Target, Walmart and others will have Coke at a decent price when I need it.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:11 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Hmmmm your address seems to be a problem. Maybe you should move?

I had no idea that Publix puts Coke on BOGO. That's great info., thanks!!!!!!!

Will that make me stalk the Publix circular to buy Coke (or anything else) when it's on BOGO? Absolutely not. My time is a lot more valuable than that.

I trust that Amazon, Target, Walmart and others will have Coke at a decent price when I need it.
Not sure what my address has to do with anything. I'm not finding anyway to have Coke delivered from Target except through "Target Restock," and, again, they charge $4.99 per 12 pack through that option instead of the $3.59 single 12 pack price or the 4 for $11.

And, it's not a matter of stalking the Publix circular to see when Coke is BOGO. If you typically shopped there you'd simply see when it was on sale and stock up. And, typically Coke is either BOGO or Buy3Get1 every other week. It's not that hard.

Plus, I looked over your shopping list, such as buying chicken from olivorheritagefarms.com. Dude, I don't even know why any of your posts even comment on price because it's clearly not an issue for you. $9.99 a pound for chicken breasts. No average shopper can afford that, and, even if they can, certainly wouldn't pay that when there are organic options in every grocery store available for much cheaper.

No one's saying that online shopping isn't going to become commonplace in the future. But, it's disingenuous for you to keep suggesting that there is not a current price premium in the marketplace. Things will have to get a lot closer to the sweet spot between price and convenience before it becomes widespread.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:35 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Not sure what my address has to do with anything. I'm not finding anyway to have Coke delivered from Target except through "Target Restock," and, again, they charge $4.99 per 12 pack through that option instead of the $3.59 single 12 pack price or the 4 for $11.

And, it's not a matter of stalking the Publix circular to see when Coke is BOGO. If you typically shopped there you'd simply see when it was on sale and stock up. And, typically Coke is either BOGO or Buy3Get1 every other week. It's not that hard.

Plus, I looked over your shopping list, such as buying chicken from olivorheritagefarms.com. Dude, I don't even know why any of your posts even comment on price because it's clearly not an issue for you. $9.99 a pound for chicken breasts. No average shopper can afford that, and, even if they can, certainly wouldn't pay that when there are organic options in every grocery store available for much cheaper.

No one's saying that online shopping isn't going to become commonplace in the future. But, it's disingenuous for you to keep suggesting that there is not a current price premium in the marketplace. Things will have to get a lot closer to the sweet spot between price and convenience before it becomes widespread.
At $9.99 a pound that chicken better deliver itself, clean itself, season itself and jump on the grill itself.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:59 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:

Prices and shipping vary by address. If you shopped online often you would know that.

I don't have time to worry about sales circulars, but that's great that you do.

I'm sure there's people being paid a ton of money in Silicon Valley right now trying to figure out how to deliver cheap chicken breasts and cheap cases of Coke to your door.

Considering the organic chicken I normally buy at Sprouts, Whole Foods, Publix, etc. is always way over $6 a pound, and the quality is not that great, I don't consider 10 bucks to be that bad. Especially since that chicken always comes out tender and juicy.

Here's some other online grocers I shop from.

https://www.boxed.com/

https://movebutter.com/

https://meatthebutchers.com/poultry/...ess-split.html

I spend more money on my meats, but I also love ALDI, Trader Joe's and other cheap places!

Old 06-26-2018, 03:10 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Publix's timing is way off. They should have stuck with it. When they abandoned innovation, other grocers started it up across America and have been riding the omnichannel wave for years

So businesses should sell something that people aren't using just for the sake of appearing as if they are innovating? I mean, they lost $50 million with the old PublixDirect. Great idea but they were too early for this population. If Publix was an NYC store, then it would have been right for that time. Unlike Uber, Spotify, etc. these physical stores can't lose money and depend on investors to feed them with the hopes that someday they will be successful on their own. Even a former Walmart executive is on record calling that Amazon's unfair advantage (with its "investor" money coming from Amazon Web Services).

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/30/bill...rt-retail.html

It's funny how people talk about the bulk product bins, expansive cheese departments, wine departments, craft beer, make-your-own nut butter machines, international foods down the aisles, prepared foods (beyond subs and fried chicken), etc. at Wegmans, HEB, Sprouts, Lucky's, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, etc. as a knock against Publix. But then you go to those stores (or at least for me the stores we have in Florida and the few upgraded Publix stores that have those features), and those stations or aisles are almost ALWAYS empty. Meanwhile, go down the aisles stocked with the everyday Kellogg's, Unilever, Post, PepsiCo, P&G, ConAgra, etc. products, and you're constantly saying "excuse me" or hearing that said to you.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Exactly.

Online shopping may be cheaper and more convenient for general merchandise like books (hands down the best), electronics, and some clothes (especially if stores are always out of your size). Also, it has given people access to things they may not be physically available in their areas. However, at this point in time, grocery delivery is a premium service. I know of people who are barely getting by with the prices at Aldi and Walmart. They won't be using InstaCart with its mark ups, delivery fees, and expected tips anytime soon. Financially struggling or "I'm doing okay but I'm one emergency away from a disaster" people don't see spending an extra $15 per bill to have groceries delivered as them saving time. They just think about the extra $15.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
My understanding from Giant executives is that the inside of this store will be mostly prepared foods (in other words, cooked food for takeout)

Of course this is how grocers have been operating in Europe for decades
Some of them, while other European grocery stores, especially in suburban areas, are pretty much a near identical version of what you find in the USA. The Walmart Neighborhood Stores (or whatever they're called) even are cribbing the color schemes from the company's Asda division in the UK.

And that's even before you get into the Aldi/Lidi realm, where I don't think they have any of those kinds of prepared foods.

The Whole Foods siblings like Marks & Spencer or Waitrose are seen by many as either the realm or urban 20-somethings or as too expensive for everyday shopping compared to a Tesco or Carrefour.

(Yes, I end up in foreign grocery stores a fair amount on vacation for snacks and quick meals when available. And I offer the heartfelt advice to stay far, far away from the monstrosity that is a Tesco chicken nugget.)

Old 06-27-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:

I'm sure there's people being paid a ton of money in Silicon Valley right now trying to figure out how to deliver cheap chicken breasts and cheap cases of Coke to your door.

Where here you go.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06...-your-driveway

This solves the "I want delivery but want to pick my own produce" problem. It didn't mention meat.

This wouldn't be a new grocery store vehicles existing stores would purchase to amp up their delivery operations. So, these would drive around town with Publix, Safeway, whatever logos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida