Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 03:48 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Different stores have different prices and different features. My store just started offering valet parking.

I agree. Citrus and citrus juice in general are too pricey in Fla.
Until a few years ago it used to be cheaper in fl from what I can tell. Doesn't make sense to me why it wouldn't be cheaper here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 05:48 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,117 times
Publix needs to pay for their political donations somehow. Higher prices and asking for donations are two ways to accomplish that.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:09 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:

The cookies I buy from the bakery went from $3.99 to $4.29.
Inflation is rearing its head... prices are on the rise and not just Publix. I have noticed it at other stores too. Not every single item, but some items are increasing. More price increases than prior years. Economists are reporting about inflation.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Observation: Why is orange juice so damn expensive in Florida? This isn't a Publix-specific issue, but across the board. There are huge citrus juice plants right here in Central Florida!
Because of suburbanization, damage from hurricanes and freezes, and assorted crop diseases like citrus greening, the amount of citrus produced in the state has fallen in recent years (this year is projected to be similar to WW2 levels of production) and growers are also facing higher costs to product fruits.

A few articles I found talked about increasing the amount of citrus imported into the state to meet the needs of the juice plants, and those additional shipping costs are also going to get passed along to consumers willing to pay.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:17 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,169 times
Why don’t you just politely tell them “ no thank you”

#1stWorldProblems

Old 06-19-2018, 06:21 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would guess it's more of a PR move and do wish they would support charities that spend much more on the cause than operation, like the current March of Dimes coupon kickback promotion. https://paddockpost.com/2015/10/28/w...h-of-dimes-go/

Social Entrepreneurship (I can't think of what it would be called for big companies at the moment) is the thing nowadays.

I can't cite a specific survey or study, but it's said that Millennials want to work for and purchase from companies who are "doing good" in the world or working toward some grand purpose. (I think starting a company that gets so big that you have to hire a bunch of people is just as good as or superior to giving those otherwise unemployed or underemployed people a donation.)

Tom's Shoes is probably the biggest example of this. Lucky's Market donates 10% of its store brand sales or profits to charity. Southeastern Groceries (Winn-Dixie) has given a day's worth of profits to military charities. Things like that.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:51 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Nothing I buy is ever EVER on BOGO. I am very loyal to brands. I only buy what I buy. I'm not gonna switch to Hellmann's because it's on sale.

Let me know if you ever see these on BOGO at Publix:

Hell on the Red salsa (they don't carry it; requires trip to Target)
Swanson Organic Free Range Bone Cooking Stock (Publix has it but it's never BOGO or on sale)
Castelines Olive Oil (they don't carry it; requires order on Amazon)
Superfine sugar (Publix used to have it, now i have to go to Fresh Market for that)
Sun Blossom Downy (only Walmart has that)

The day that Publix carries Castelines Olive Oil or puts it on BOGO will NEVER EVER COME.

And the rest of what is in my fridge and walk in pantry are 70% not available or never on sale at Publix. The few things I do buy at Publix are bakery stuff and meats, but increasingly few of those. I am ordering more online.

Pretty much nothing I buy is ever on sale period, and I have to go to 5 different stores to find it all, or get it online.
Ok, so you're a unique shopper that lies outside of the "average" shopper that your local Publix caters to. Not sure how your proclivities are Publix's fault.

(But, you do know that if you go to customer service at your local Publix, they will order any of those items for you)

Old 06-20-2018, 12:44 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Ok, so you're a unique shopper that lies outside of the "average" shopper that your local Publix caters to. Not sure how your proclivities are Publix's fault.

(But, you do know that if you go to customer service at your local Publix, they will order any of those items for you)
ummmmmmmmm NEGATIVE!
Publix will not order any of those items for me (I have asked). You can't just go into a store (Publix or otherwise) and say "I want djsuperfly brand pasta sauce. Order it."

It's OK. I just order the stuff online, most of the time directly from the manufacturer.

If you think I'm the only shopper that routinely does not find what they are looking for at Publix, you are DREAMING!

Old 06-20-2018, 01:15 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
ummmmmmmmm NEGATIVE!
Publix will not order any of those items for me (I have asked). You can't just go into a store (Publix or otherwise) and say "I want djsuperfly brand pasta sauce. Order it."

It's OK. I just order the stuff online, most of the time directly from the manufacturer.

If you think I'm the only shopper that routinely does not find what they are looking for at Publix, you are DREAMING!
As much as I like Publix, I'll have to agree that lots of items I routinely buy can't be found there. I can certainly understand why, but let's not pretend that it isn't the case.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:44 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
As much as I like Publix, I'll have to agree that lots of items I routinely buy can't be found there. I can certainly understand why, but let's not pretend that it isn't the case.
So have you ever asked if they could order it for you? My store gets a salad dressing I like that no other stores in the area sells. If any store/warehouse carries the item another store can order it for their customers who ask for it. Of course not everything is available because there is no way any store can have everything that every customer from every state or country in the world might want. Even grocery stores have to make a profit and if only 5 people a month/year want a certain item it may not be profitable to order a box of it and then have 95 items sit on the shelf
till their expiration date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida