Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:51 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
So have you ever asked if they could order it for you? My store gets a salad dressing I like that no other stores in the area sells. If any store/warehouse carries the item another store can order it for their customers who ask for it. Of course not everything is available because there is no way any store can have everything that every customer from every state or country in the world might want. Even grocery stores have to make a profit and if only 5 people a month/year want a certain item it may not be profitable to order a box of it and then have 95 items sit on the shelf
till their expiration date.
I've asked for some items. Some, they have gotten for me, including a specific brand of seafood medley that I like. They carry it in limited quantities now.
Other items, which really, I can only find at specialty Caribbean or Asian stores anyway, they won't get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 05:26 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
ummmmmmmmm NEGATIVE!
Publix will not order any of those items for me (I have asked). You can't just go into a store (Publix or otherwise) and say "I want djsuperfly brand pasta sauce. Order it."

It's OK. I just order the stuff online, most of the time directly from the manufacturer.

If you think I'm the only shopper that routinely does not find what they are looking for at Publix, you are DREAMING!
Ok, but for most people that's just going to be 1 or 2 items. Most people don't have such a hangup on a specific scent of Downy. They'll just get one they like almost as much.

And yes, if djsuperfly brand pasta sauce is in the warehouse or is serviced by any of their in-store vendors, you can special order it to pick up at your local store. Sure, there will be specialty items they may not have access to, but I've only run into that once or twice.

Hey, you hate Publix, fine. But don't act like grocery shopping isn't an act of convenience for 98% of people. Most people aren't going to drive all over town hunting down 5 specialty items on the regular.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:35 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
You give them the money, they get the tax break. Win win for them

Old 06-20-2018, 06:28 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Ok, but for most people that's just going to be 1 or 2 items. Most people don't have such a hangup on a specific scent of Downy. They'll just get one they like almost as much.

And yes, if djsuperfly brand pasta sauce is in the warehouse or is serviced by any of their in-store vendors, you can special order it to pick up at your local store. Sure, there will be specialty items they may not have access to, but I've only run into that once or twice.

Hey, you hate Publix, fine. But don't act like grocery shopping isn't an act of convenience for 98% of people. Most people aren't going to drive all over town hunting down 5 specialty items on the regular.

Actually, a majority of U.S. shoppers visit multiple grocery stores every week. 67% of American shoppers go to 2-3 stores for groceries each week. So my shopping behavior is extremely average.

https://www.fooddive.com/news/grocer...ceries/512509/

And this study does not even account for the people supplementing their grocery trips with online buying.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Actually, a majority of U.S. shoppers visit multiple grocery stores every week. 67% of American shoppers go to 2-3 stores for groceries each week. So my shopping behavior is extremely average.

https://www.fooddive.com/news/grocer...ceries/512509/

And this study does not even account for the people supplementing their grocery trips with online buying.
Well, if you dive a little deeper, while what you say is true, only "33% visit more than one store because they can't find all the brands at one location." So your specific circumstance is still the exception rather than the rule.

My main point is why come on here and bash Publix when no one single other store is providing you with what you want/need either?

(And, according to Forbes, online grocery only accounts for 2-4% of the market, so it's still not a huge numbers mover there).
https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdanz.../#5bf96cea62f3

Old 06-21-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Well, if you dive a little deeper, while what you say is true, only "33% visit more than one store because they can't find all the brands at one location." So your specific circumstance is still the exception rather than the rule.

My main point is why come on here and bash Publix when no one single other store is providing you with what you want/need either?

(And, according to Forbes, online grocery only accounts for 2-4% of the market, so it's still not a huge numbers mover there).
https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdanz.../#5bf96cea62f3

Well, I guess the fact that grocers are spending billions of dollars to improve their online grocery capabilities is a complete waste of money.

Has it occurred to you that if Publix had a decent website, where it could stock more brands than it could fit in a 50,000 square foot store, that all the people like me who shop multiple stores/websites for a variety of reasons, of which there are many, many, would shop there exclusively?

Instead Publix is ceding that shopper to physical and digital competitors, Amazon, Kroger, etc. Kroger just this morning reported that its online sales skyrocketed 66% in the first quarter.

But, hey, it's only me who is shopping for groceries online!

Last edited by sinatras; 06-21-2018 at 06:45 AM..

Old 06-21-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess the fact that grocers are spending billions of dollars to improve their online grocery capabilities is a complete waste of money.

Has it occurred to you that if Publix had a decent website, where it could stock more brands than it could fit in a 50,000 square foot store, that all the people like me who shop multiple stores/websites for a variety of reasons, of which there are many, many, would shop there exclusively?

Instead Publix is ceding that shopper to physical and digital competitors, Amazon, Kroger, etc. Kroger just this morning reported that its online sales skyrocketed 66% in the first quarter.

But, hey, it's only me who is shopping for groceries online!
You really like to latch on to one point and hyperbole it to death.

No one said you were the only one doing online shopping--simply that, at this current point in time, it's not a huge segment of the market. And, it's not. Heck, there are a number of grocery items I shop for online myself.

Don't know much about what Kroger is reporting as online sales there. Is that people ordering online and then physically picking up their items that have been picked out at their local Kroger store (like Wal-Mart does)? If so, I personally don't consider that "true" online ordering. If that's the case, Publix's partnership with Instacart would be more like "true" online ordering since it gets delivered directly to one's home.

But again, you didn't answer my question: If Publix so doesn't meet your needs, why the need for the smear campaign? If all I want is a grass-fed burger, I don't go online smearing Burger King for not carrying one.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
You really like to latch on to one point and hyperbole it to death.

No one said you were the only one doing online shopping--simply that, at this current point in time, it's not a huge segment of the market. And, it's not. Heck, there are a number of grocery items I shop for online myself.

Don't know much about what Kroger is reporting as online sales there. Is that people ordering online and then physically picking up their items that have been picked out at their local Kroger store (like Wal-Mart does)? If so, I personally don't consider that "true" online ordering. If that's the case, Publix's partnership with Instacart would be more like "true" online ordering since it gets delivered directly to one's home.

But again, you didn't answer my question: If Publix so doesn't meet your needs, why the need for the smear campaign? If all I want is a grass-fed burger, I don't go online smearing Burger King for not carrying one.
In an age in which a consumer can shop for anything at any time with the click of a button, I have high expectations of all retailers, not just Publix. I have the same expectations of Costco, Trader Joe's, Nordstrom, etc. I do not have high expectations of Burger King.

You only live up to the expectations that you set for yourself. Wise advice for any retailer hoping to stay competitive.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:06 PM

I also believe in full disclosure. Why don't you tell the audience how much you get paid for espousing your conspiracy theories? Hey the next time you create a fake account (which always get taken down), your name should be FakeNewsJoe!

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-24-2018 at 07:27 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Cartwright View Post
Because the clear aberrant leftist shopper is paid to be online, can't you tell? that's what it does as a retail consultant otherwise it wouldn't be online doing just that 6 out of 7 days a week, notwithstanding a person/position as a "retiree" here in Florida Easy determination. Leftist extraordinaire.
Sounds like someone forgot to wear their tinfoil hat today. Don't trust everything Alex Jones tells you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida