Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazenblue View Post
No one popped me the bird while flying me on my right on I-95 today. That's a first for me.
Gheez, where do you live? I'm almost all the way at the bottom and can only recall getting the finger once. If your further north than me (or north of PBC, where I saw said finger) it can only be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times
I had an unusually good day on Friday in the Roachmobile. All green lights from my parent's home to the palmetto, no traffic jams from Miller road to the I-75 exit. A smooth ride up 75 to Sheridan street, and green lights to the office. The return trip was just as good. In general I rarely see bad drivers while in my car. Now in other people's cars, I am amazed how many bad drivers come out on the roads. I rarely find the bad drivers near to me.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:50 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,489,722 times
hahaha almost everything stated I do. Except the honk horn at the green light. People do that to me so I just put my car in park and sit for a while or drive slowly. Bastards!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 PM

9,484 posts, read 16,375,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeabel View Post
I apologize for bringing this up again but I've got to vent somewhere! I try very hard nowadays to avoid feeling any stress when driving because it is so overwhelming here (southwest florida) when driving. I'm a good driver, observant but not perfect by any stretch of the imagination (speed problem but not too offensive). I've never been prone to road rage or much irritation but in this area, I am daily driven to a point where I don't know whether to scream or cry.

I often get merged into, which is basically either the elderly or the plain oblivious. I was run into the median yesterday while it is scary, I'm so used to it that I react rather calmly. However, my big beef is the younger set, the ones who live here permanently and are usually young. There is such a total disdain for traffic rules that it is about to drive me insane. All the time, people will pull into the non-turning lane to turn around a whole lane of traffic and jump in front of people. It happens all the time. Someone is not feeling like obeying the road signs/markings and pulls into the left turn lane to turn right while people are sitting there waiting to go. And it happens so often! I'm tired of people cutting me off by turning from the wrong lane and speeding to get in front of me before I hit them! And all the people driving on the side of the road to make it past all the people in front instead of merging as the sign says. What about this area makes people feel like they are above any need to just follow basic traffic laws!

Like I said, sorry for venting!
Your post is exactly why I keep fighting myself on the issue of retirement in Florida. I want to leave Oregon so much for a warmer climate on the east coast. I am to put it mildly, overwhelmed by the thought of driving in that state. I quite frankly do not understand why a state with so many retirees was not forced to create more transit at least in its cities. There are just way too many cars on Florida's roads without any other options, not even walking from what I seen half the time. Its sad and truthfully borderline pathetic. I can understand your frustration.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:50 PM

39 posts, read 198,422 times
My favorite is when somebody passes you on the shoulder of the Interstate going 100 mph. I've driven extensively in all 50 states and I've only see that trick in Florida...4 times in as many years. Also a pair of men well into their 70s outside their respective Cadillacs fist fighting on the side of the road as a result of road rage. I've seen that one twice. I moved from down there a couple of years ago and it was the bad driving behavior that was probably the biggest factor. I just got to where I couldn't take it anymore.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:05 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,470,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Your post is exactly why I keep fighting myself on the issue of retirement in Florida. I want to leave Oregon so much for a warmer climate on the east coast. I am to put it mildly, overwhelmed by the thought of driving in that state. I quite frankly do not understand why a state with so many retirees was not forced to create more transit at least in its cities. There are just way too many cars on Florida's roads without any other options, not even walking from what I seen half the time. Its sad and truthfully borderline pathetic. I can understand your frustration.
Florida driving is no worse than any other state but I think it seems worse to people who move there because its just out of their element and no where they were taught and raised to drive. Before I moved I thought the driving in Fla was fine, never drove anywhere else so I never had a problem with it and I was used to it. Now living in the NE I think the drivers up here are nutz, 90+ mph on the highways easy just for standard driving I don't even think you can consider that speeding. Like the guy above I've seen drivers pass on the shoulders and break down lanes up here in NH and in Mass going WAY too fast, thats the oldest trick in the book imo. The jersey turnpike is a mess and you're always cut off or going too slow, NYC is terrible when i drive over the George Washington Bridge its like a bumper car fight for what level then what lane then you're gonna be in.. Florida is a mish mash of all driver but what roads aren't? Don't let driving stop you from retiring there if thats what you want traffic is just something you get used to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida