Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 793 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am new to this thread and just looking for some help/advice etc.. About myself and my background..

I am 27, along with my husband. He works in the oil field industry as of right now but is currently looking for a new job. No particular field. Just something that pays well. He has a HS diploma, but no college experience. His previous jobs include working on stalling inground/above ground pools and spas. He also has a lot of electrical work under his hat. He did the pool work for about 4-6 years. He did enjoy it but his employer didn’t pay well! Like I said above, he is currently in the oil field industry.

I myself, have a associates degree in Information Technology. The previous jobs I have had consist of clerical work in hospital settings. But I am really open to anything. At the moment I am not working, I stay at home with our 5 month old son. I plan on working once he is a little older.

We don’t own a home. We rent just for the simple fact of not wanting to get tied down in the city in which we live now. We live in South eastern Ohio and absolutely HATE it. Our town is VERY small. No opportunity, it’s turning into a ghost town as we speak. We have talked about Florida for a while now and I actually have family that lives in the Bradenton area. We want better living and opportunities for our son. I like the big city feel as well as small communities. (We would like a nice small community for when our son would start school.)

We do not want to live right next to the beach. The furthest we would like to be, would be 45-1 hour away. We would like to live where it relatively stays warmer all year round. We were looking at south west FL.

My question is, what are some of the smaller cities, where should we be looking? Is there a certain region I should be looking at? How is the cost of living? Rent rates? We just need some insight and help from locals if possible. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 05:25 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
I would apply for jobs all over the state and move where you both find jobs. The biggest problem you will run into in moving to Florida is getting a good paying job. Most of larger cities have some tech and thus employment oportuinties in IT.

Florida does not have an oil industry nor do we want one. Wages for labor and semi-killed workers is low in Florida, it may be comparable to the Marysville area. Good luck on your adventure.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:04 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Wages for labor and semi-killed workers is low in Florida,
I think I qualify as a semi-killed worker.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:40 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Jobs, schools, housing. In that order. Always.

What does your family in Bradenton suggest?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ad5paRXNWVg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/ad5paRXNWVg

Last edited by RMD3819; 07-20-2018 at 06:50 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 08:33 AM

21 posts, read 19,874 times
Don’t be like so many others and think how you don’t like where you currently live and you for some reason think you’re gonna love FL. I really don’t get the logic I mean so many people just automatically think about moving to Florida because they don’t like where they are. Do the research and check unbiased websites. There are pros and cons to living anywhere. There are statistics about how many millions of people have moved to FL in the last couple decades and how many millions moved back where they came from.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:12 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmoney View Post
Don’t be like so many others and think how you don’t like where you currently live and you for some reason think you’re gonna love FL. I really don’t get the logic I mean so many people just automatically think about moving to Florida because they don’t like where they are. Do the research and check unbiased websites. There are pros and cons to living anywhere. There are statistics about how many millions of people have moved to FL in the last couple decades and how many millions moved back where they came from.
Or better yet, halfway back because many don't get the premise of something "in between"...for instance states like Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee or North Carolina.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Or better yet, halfway back because many don't get the premise of something "in between"...for instance states like Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee or North Carolina.
I would not recommend the south, if you don't like appalachia, you won't like the states mentioned.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:16 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
I would not recommend the south, if you don't like appalachia, you won't like the states mentioned.
On what planet are cities like Atlanta, Savannah, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Greensboro-Winston Salem, Charleston, Columbia, Greenville-Spartanburg and Nashville referred to as "Appalachia"?

Seriously.. Travel much?

Old 07-22-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
On what planet are cities like Atlanta, Savannah, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Greensboro-Winston Salem, Charleston, Columbia, Greenville-Spartanburg and Nashville referred to as "Appalachia"?

Seriously.. Travel much?
The OP lives in south east Ohio which is Appalachia.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:23 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
My first suggestion would be to do some significant research into jobs in the various FL locations you are considering, wages here are generally lower (sometimes significantly) compared to same or similar jobs "up north," unless it's a skilled job in a specialized field where workers are in high demand. Employers can get away with paying less because there are always people moving to FL in search of warmer winters and sun, so a continuing pool of available employees to select from. They actually have a name for it, it's called the "sunshine factor."

Regarding employment here, you'll find a number of employers do not offer employer paid health insurance. And health insurance in general in FL is not exactly cheap.

If you move to FL without jobs I would recommend having in your savings enough money to cover at least 6 months worth of living expenses. Keep in mind you'll also need extra savings to cover things like registering your cars in FL/getting tags, utility deposits, rental deposits, etc.

Another recommendation is to check out some of the sites that show you cost of living comparisons. Depending on where you're looking, rental rates may eat up a significant part of your income here. You'll probably both have to be employed to make ends meet, which means childcare will also be a factor in figuring out your FL budget.

I am not saying these things to discourage you from moving to FL, but rather so that you have a realistic idea of financial needs before you move so that you do not come here unprepared. FL has a lot to offer in the way of beautiful winter weather, but FL also comes with unbelievably hot & humid summer months as well. Visiting here and living here full time are two very different things.

South FL tends to be more expensive to live in they say Bradenton, where you have family. Or perhaps you might research the North Port - Englewood area about an hour's drive south of Bradenton. The cost of living is lower there, but the job market is not as extensive as the Bradenton - Sarasota area.

Florida may be for you, it may not be. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida