Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 03:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

This is totally off topic but I love Oscar Wilde, esp that gutter/stars quote, Shores. He was so astute--and funny--about the human condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 03:35 PM

628 posts, read 1,833,449 times
[CENTER]Anywhere is paradise; it's up to you. [/CENTER]
Author Unknown

Old 12-14-2006, 03:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Wow, it does not get more appropriate than that!

Old 12-14-2006, 08:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Just ask my little kitten. I found her (well my dog found her) in the backyard this weekend. She was limping and all beat up and has a fractured femur. She's now found a good home, happy, resting, well fed, and on her way to recovering nicely. This is Tabatha.
Yes and I have three cats and two dogs for the same reason. Years ago I was driving down the road and spotted a little animal in the road. I stopped my car and got rear ended (of course it was in Miami) but did rescue the cute little cat who ended up being my big kitty. He is still here, and I still have the car too, but never got around to fixing the bumper guard the other driver smashed. I found one of my puppies in a compacting dumpster behind an apartment building. My latest cat Tiger just showed up after hurricane Katrina by the mangroves. Every time I am away and come home all the pets are waiting by the door. I have to clean this place more often but they're worth it.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Yes and I have three cats and two dogs for the same reason. Every time I am away and come home all the pets are waiting by the door.
It's something most take for granted until they're gone. It’s incredible how empty a house can feel when they’re not there to greet you. I lost 2 dogs last year, I have a new one now and am about to go for another.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:32 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
It's something most take for granted until they're gone. It’s incredible how empty a house can feel when they’re not there to greet you. I lost 2 dogs last year, I have a new one now and am about to go for another.

Very true. All my cats and dogs come to the door when they smell me in the driveway. They're amazing. Sometimes I complain because of all the food shopping and trips to the vet and cleaning litter but what the heck, they're worth it.
I started with cats the day I had to put my 7 year old ferret to sleep after she had had two surgeries for tumors and another started blowing her up. I walked to my car and there was this kitten playing with mamma cat in a store window with a big FREE KITTTENS sign. That was about 15 years ago. Ever since then, I can't imagine not having my dogs and cats.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:37 PM

All good things come to an end and this is my last comment and a quote before letting this thread slip into obscurity

There are many in this forum who prefer to see the darker side of life. I wonder why these people gravitate to the negative? Why are they so cynical so compelled to be consumed by pessimism? There must be better things in life for anyone and everyone?

Is life so miserable…. that the only thing such people can do is validate their own misery by trying to make others miserable? Misery loves company they say

Then there are those who enjoy watching a train wreck as if someone else’s misfortunes elevates their position or worse yet are the most contemptuous of all who artfully craft a debate on an impassioned subject only to stand aside and watch the train wreck for its entertainment value

[CENTER]Robert J. Hastings in his poem “The Station” relates life to a long train ride where we wait to finally arrive at the Station[/CENTER]

Here are a few excerpts:

Sooner or later, however, we must realize there is no station in this life, no one earthly place to arrive at once and for all”. “The journey is the joy”.
“Life must be lived as we go along
”.

Robert J. Hastings

Last edited by Shores9; 12-16-2006 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-16-2006, 06:13 PM

251 posts, read 885,639 times
Shores9….I have read all the posts in this thread, along with the wonderful quotes. Many may see my posts as negative and pessimistic but it is hard to be an optimist when you see things crashing in around you. I spend many hours a day trying to help people, and yes I do it with my best foot forward. You see I work with elderly and working class people who are loosing everything because of the bad things happening in Florida. The number one reason is homeowners insurance, which I often post about. I am really happy for those of you not affected by the huge rate increases but fear you all will be calling me soon also wondering how to pay for the increases….do I take force place insurance, take out a loan, 2nd mortgage, put it on my credit card, how can I pay my insurance of $5800 per year, pay my mortgage, and live on the 12,000 a year from Social Security, I’m 71 where can I get a job to help pay my bills. These people worked hard their entire life and retired here in Florida bought small homes they could spend their “Golden” years in and now they are facing the streets. Like it or not things are not good here in Florida, oh yes maybe for a select few it is good but not for many. I am not a complainer or whiner I am a worker, working hard for “Good” changes and help for people. So when I post things that are a bummer, sad, or angry I believe people need to know what is going on. Facts are facts and it seems that a select few of the senior members and moderators would prefer this board post only positive and happy things about Florida because when something is not good or happy it is the same select few who jump in and say what a wonderful place Florida is how those of us saying negative things must be unhappy people who should just leave Florida. I am not an unhappy person just someone who isn’t wearing blinders and can foresee what is happening to this great state and it’s people.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:58 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
Shores9….I have read all the posts in this thread, along with the wonderful quotes. Many may see my posts as negative and pessimistic but it is hard to be an optimist when you see things crashing in around you. I spend many hours a day trying to help people, and yes I do it with my best foot forward. You see I work with elderly and working class people who are loosing everything because of the bad things happening in Florida. The number one reason is homeowners insurance, which I often post about. I am really happy for those of you not affected by the huge rate increases but fear you all will be calling me soon also wondering how to pay for the increases….do I take force place insurance, take out a loan, 2nd mortgage, put it on my credit card, how can I pay my insurance of $5800 per year, pay my mortgage, and live on the 12,000 a year from Social Security, I’m 71 where can I get a job to help pay my bills. These people worked hard their entire life and retired here in Florida bought small homes they could spend their “Golden” years in and now they are facing the streets. Like it or not things are not good here in Florida, oh yes maybe for a select few it is good but not for many. I am not a complainer or whiner I am a worker, working hard for “Good” changes and help for people. So when I post things that are a bummer, sad, or angry I believe people need to know what is going on. Facts are facts and it seems that a select few of the senior members and moderators would prefer this board post only positive and happy things about Florida because when something is not good or happy it is the same select few who jump in and say what a wonderful place Florida is how those of us saying negative things must be unhappy people who should just leave Florida. I am not an unhappy person just someone who isn’t wearing blinders and can foresee what is happening to this great state and it’s people.
Hi Sunshine. I'm not THAT old nor on SS and I'm one of those whose HOI is now $6482/yr and have asked a lot of those questions when my premium notice came and I almost went into cardiac arrest. I can still swing the increase but I have to not do a lot of things anymore and not go to a lot of places and the dogs and cats may have to eat cheaper brands. I am angry as can be, but you have to admit, Florida is still beautiful. And I live in Miami with the traffic, the crime, the humidity and all that.
But there are a couple of posters who are really, really annoying. They don't just give their views here and there. They rant negativity every chance they get and then some. Anybody can give their opinions, views, advice, once, twice but that's enough. I will then have to decide for myself and I don't like the same rant shoved down my throat 10 times a day.
Merry Christmas.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 11,110 times
I have read this thread and really enjoyed the nature of it. If I want to get bummed out I just need to watch 5 minutes of news. No matter what the day the stories are the same depressing garbage. At least the media is more professional

Seems like an awful lot of folks on this foum like to gripe and moan and 1 or 2 really like to stir the pot. That's OK they can be ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida