Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 AM

376 posts, read 906,551 times

Advertisements

so interesting to read all these comments... the title caught my eye.

We moved to SW Florida a year ago from the snowiest part of WV, about 2 hours south of Pittsburgh. There was snow & ice from Oct till Mother's day... one July 4th, there was even flurries, though it didn't stick. We'll take the sun and heat happily over the constant winter.

BTW ~ I named our teeny place on Sanibel 'Endless Summer'... that's why the title caught my eye. Wonder if anyone else names their homes?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:03 AM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
so interesting to read all these comments... the title caught my eye.

We moved to SW Florida a year ago from the snowiest part of WV, about 2 hours south of Pittsburgh. There was snow & ice from Oct till Mother's day... one July 4th, there was even flurries, though it didn't stick. We'll take the sun and heat happily over the constant winter.

BTW ~ I named our teeny place on Sanibel 'Endless Summer'... that's why the title caught my eye. Wonder if anyone else names their homes?
Yes, our house is called "Hula House". I love all things Hawaiian, and this little house looks like it could be in Hawaii with it's many coconut and other palms and flowers. And I, too, will take an "endless summer" any day over cold weather! I like wearing sun dresses and sandals over down-filled parkas.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:14 AM

831 posts, read 2,427,523 times
I hated the cold when I lived there but now I realize I hate the heat even more. I have no energy with all this humidity, at least the cold gives you a little kick to get motivated.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 AM

376 posts, read 906,551 times
gypsychic ~ your place sounds fabulous!! Good for you! And I luv luv luv the name!

Our mountain log cabin was named 'Good Timber'... old time famous poem.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,541,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I like wearing sun dresses and sandals over down-filled parkas.
Me too...I mean, I guess sun trousers, in my case, over parkas!!!!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,371,803 times
OP - It depends on who answers this question. Both are pretty bad actually, those people that live in between (GA and the carolinas) are the ones that have it right IMO. Its not to hot for too long, its not too cold where you have to shovel snow, its the right mix. Not the extremes you can get here in Florida or up north.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,663,185 times
Depends on where you are in those states. At my sister's place in SW Georgia, it's regularly 10 degrees hotter and just as humid in the summer compared to where we live in the Panhandle.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,041,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
OP - It depends on who answers this question. Both are pretty bad actually, those people that live in between (GA and the carolinas) are the ones that have it right IMO. Its not to hot for too long, its not too cold where you have to shovel snow, its the right mix. Not the extremes you can get here in Florida or up north.
Yep. Like Beachmouse says, Georgia and the Carolinas, near the coast, can be brutally humid and the bugs are just as bad. We really considered the area, but because of the weather we settled in Knoxville.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 PM

739 posts, read 1,841,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I hated the cold when I lived there but now I realize I hate the heat even more. I have no energy with all this humidity, at least the cold gives you a little kick to get motivated.
dmcC, we're in the same boat. The difference is that in the heat, you can go out to a beach or the pool to be outside. With the cold, unless you're an outdoor-sports person, you're sitting by the fireplace. That's what I have to decide about.

I must admit that September usually brings with it that 'Fall nip in the air' which is so wonderful. Knowing the air conditioner will be turned off until next June is quite nice, as is the time between now and Christmas. After New Year's you can have it.

What to do... Besides win the lottery...

Old 09-01-2009, 04:24 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yep. Like Beachmouse says, Georgia and the Carolinas, near the coast, can be brutally humid and the bugs are just as bad. We really considered the area, but because of the weather we settled in Knoxville.
I totally agree with you on that. We used to have a second home in Asheville NC for a few years, and on our trips up along I-95 on the coast we noticed that it felt even WORSE in Georgia and South Carolina than Florida - very thick and steamy! I bet Knoxville has a nice climate, I've heard good things about that city. We liked Asheville, but too cold in winter for me, and we just couldn't afford to keep two places. Anyway, right now we are happy living in Sarasota, I can put up with summer because I love it here so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida