Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:48 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
At least with the heat it's not a 24 hour a day thing. It cools off overnite and is nice till about 9 or 10 AM and then again 6 or 7pm on and you can get some nice shade from the angle of the sun behind tress.

Cold is 24/7. Here in MI this last winter we had 23 straight days the temp never got about freezing with most of those days lows in the single digits and highs in the teens, with plenty of snow also. I'll take the heat anyday.
The only way to know that is to come on down and LIVE HERE for a full year including all summer. I agree on the cold part too, but it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other between cold and hot weahter, they both have drawbacks.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Where I am it doesn't cool off in the summer nights. A heat index of 95 degrees at 11 PM is cooling off?

Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Where I am it doesn't cool off in the summer nights. A heat index of 95 degrees at 11 PM is cooling off?
I just checked the 10 day forecast for Charlotte. Low 60's at night already. You'll be lucky if it gets that cool by early November in Naples<ng>

Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,001 times
Default Cape Cod winters

How is it to spend the whole winter in Cape Cod? Is it really grey all the time...No sunshine??? How could that be, when it's on the ocean and the bay? I just don't understand it.... Help me,please.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:03 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygurl View Post
Native Floridian thinking of moving back to Florida (Tampa) after 10 years of dark days, dry skin, depression (S.A.D.) and deep cold in the Northeast.

Since I can't move to So. Calif. (where the climate is perfect), am thinking about Florida, where it's sunny and my family lives.

But I am wondering whether 6 months of oppressive humid heat are actually worse than 6 months of dreary frigid cold? What do you think?
Im a good Case Study having just moved to the Panhandle of Florida from far northern Illinois and having just gone thru my very first summer in Florida. I can only speak of The Panhandle vs. Northern Illinois -- Florida is far more tolerable all things considered ; at least in the summer you can get out of the house and dont have to fight snow storm after snow storm, ice, bitter cold, etc... I think I handled the first Florida Summer very well .... it will be especially great when its December and im on the beach enjoying 70 f temps. while my Illinois friends are sick and tired of the winter already with another 3 months to go ! (and plenty of sunshine DOES make a difference in your mood).

Old 10-06-2009, 08:24 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
And that was actually a bad (unusually humid) summer by Panhandle standards. Usually the dew point runs about 5 degrees cooler and it makes a difference.

However, winters here do have some actual cold snaps. 70 at the beach is pretty rare from December through late February.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:51 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And that was actually a bad (unusually humid) summer by Panhandle standards. Usually the dew point runs about 5 degrees cooler and it makes a difference.

However, winters here do have some actual cold snaps. 70 at the beach is pretty rare from December through late February.
I have a feeling that a winter cold snap here will mean I have to put on a light jacket or sweater ; I actually find that sort of weather desirable and refreshing. A far cry from -15 f. where your nostril hairs freeze at your third inhalation of frigid air ! Ive decided im going to make it my tradition to go to the beach each and every Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day .

Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Since I’m in/out of Florida very often let me just weigh in on this. I personally love south Florida…it’s unique in the United States: A tropical climate in a country that is mostly in the middle latitudes. South Florida has the warmest winter weather in the USA, even Arizona or California seemed cold to me in winter once I lived in south Florida.

I think part of the problem is people go from one “extreme” to another. They live in a place like the Dakota’s, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Upstate NY/northern PA, interior New England…etc,. In winter in far northerly cold/snowy locations that have little sunshine in winter…they get tired of it…then move way too far south (for them). In my travels in south Florida it seems that the adjustment to the climate of Florida is the toughest for those who moved the greatest distance.

One of the things they must realize is a place like Miami, Naples, the Palm Beaches, Ft. Myers, Stuart,…etc is not just Chicago or Boston without winter…it’s a tropical humid climate. Seasonal change is a minimum. Expecting or waiting for a “cool down” in most of central/southern Florida can be disappointing often. The only change in winter is it becomes drier with less humidity. If you lived in Hong Kong, Hanoi, Vietnam, or Honolulu, Hawaii (all near the same latitude as south Florida) you wouldn’t expect a cool down in winter either. Part of loving south Florida…is knowing that there are 14-foot alligators and 100-foot coconut palms for a reason: You’re in the tropics…there is little seasonal change. Many folks who can’t take the tropical humid climate of south Florida…but hate the long winters of the northern USA…might find the a middle coastal location might be for them. A place like Myrtle Beach, SC or Virginia Beach, VA for example, might be a better choice.

I guess my point is that winter in the north is just one of the 4 seasons. Hot, humid weather (endless summer) is not a season in most of central/south Florida…it is the climate of Florida. Moving from the far north to most of Florida …your trading a “season” of weather for totally different “climate”.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 10-06-2009 at 09:15 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 03:34 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
As of right now this endless heat and humidity is making me hate it here more each day. I like it here, but this heat sucks.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
I hate Fall and Winter here. Recording break heat (94 degrees) in Naples/Ft. Myers this week is "lovely". Come on down. You can escape your 50s/60s/70s freezing cold up North in October with 100+ heat indexes now.

Eat your heart out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida