Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,768,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejperryman View Post
Someone told me the other day that I should stay in the Northeast b/c "with global warming," winter will eventually disappear from the Northeast. I am not buying it. Although people in Fla. DO SAY that it seems hotter now there than 10-15 years ago.
I agree about it being hotter here in FL than it was when I got here in 1995. It does feel alot hotter, and more humid.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 AM

83 posts, read 382,778 times
It can get miserably hot up North during the summer...and lately there have been long periods of heat...you see more homes up North offering AC now..

Old 04-04-2008, 04:47 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,753 times
I lived in both Rhode island and Florida IMO I like the florida weather better then the northeast heat is better then cold. Perfect IMO would be SO cali but Florida is fine

Old 04-05-2008, 04:59 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Boy, have you touched a raw nerve! This winter has been the absolute worst in Maine. I've never heard so many people grumbling about winter as I have this year. Northern Maine just set a snowfall record--200 inches and counting. The local newspaper had a front page picture of a snow plow pushing snow to the side of the road and the snow banks reached more than half way up the utility poles. One could easily have stood on top of the snowbank and touched the power lines! Give me sun and heat!

WRONG! No where in Northern Maine has 200+ inches yet. There isn't anyplace you can touch the power lines either. And yes I do know for a fact because I live up here.

What is worse Northern Winter or Southern Summer? Kind of a loaded question really. For those of us up here, or course 90% will answer a Southern Summer because we are not used to the heat. For most of you in FL, I would guess the answer would be the reverse. I have lived in the South and personally I just can't take the heat and humidity. For a lot of people the cold hurts and they want the heat. Guess that is why we are each where we are after we get old enough to go where we want.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:54 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
WRONG! No where in Northern Maine has 200+ inches yet. There isn't anyplace you can touch the power lines either. And yes I do know for a fact because I live up here.

Its like 183.5 inches or something, after 100 inches, who cares its too much. We had somewhere around 130 inches of snow and the piles were high enough that they went to the top of the lamp posts on main street. I do believe that Jimme is refering to the following picture, taken somewhere around you neck of the woods Bydand. Presqule/Caribou Maine.. My husband lived right there and would frequently tell me of piles like this. Pictures don't lie and boy does that look miserable!! This is the reason I'm sticking with Fla heat is better!!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/pole.jpg (broken link)

link to picture
Aroostook county (http://bangornews.com/news/t/aroostook.aspx?articleid=162123&zoneid=175 - broken link)

Old 04-05-2008, 11:50 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post

What is worse Northern Winter or Southern Summer? Kind of a loaded question really. For those of us up here, or course 90% will answer a Southern Summer because we are not used to the heat. For most of you in FL, I would guess the answer would be the reverse. I have lived in the South and personally I just can't take the heat and humidity. For a lot of people the cold hurts and they want the heat. Guess that is why we are each where we are after we get old enough to go where we want.
Well there is the south, most of which has short winters and a mild four season climate with humidity relegated to the 4-5 months of summer and then there is Southern Florida with endless summer all year long. Then there is the north especially near the coast from NYC to Virginia Beach, many areas now with a mild four season climate and short summers, and then there is Buffalo and the rust belt with endless winter and grey skies.. Lots of options for everybody. Florida weather is as different from Miami to Tallahassee as Buffalo is to Washington,DC with DC probably being even closer to what Jacksonville weather is than to Buffalo these days.. I'm not surprised that even with all these folks wanting to escape the 'frigid' north for Florida the population growth totals for FL are still expected to be growing at a modest clip for years to come as almost as many down here wish to escape FL in the opposite direction.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:58 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvj5 View Post
It can get miserably hot up North during the summer...and lately there have been long periods of heat...you see more homes up North offering AC now..
It doesn't get hot like Florida. The average high in a city like Boston is listed as being about 82 degrees in July. In Florida it is average for the temperature in July to be 91-92 degrees. During daylight hours it is rare for the heat index to get below 95-100, and at midday the heat index could be 110 degrees or higher.. This weather lasts from late May to October. Simply put, every summer day in Florida is a heat wave.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:23 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,038 times
Florida over New England hands down.....

I do love them both.....

Now all I need is a decent job.....

Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
It doesn't get hot like Florida. The average high in a city like Boston is listed as being about 82 degrees in July. In Florida it is average for the temperature in July to be 91-92 degrees. During daylight hours it is rare for the heat index to get below 95-100, and at midday the heat index could be 110 degrees or higher.. This weather lasts from late May to October. Simply put, every summer day in Florida is a heat wave.
I actually found the summer heat up here in NH (interior) to be quite comparable to Fla heat some days. We get that 100% humidity but we also get the haze. Bad haze. It makes the hair so heavy you really can't breath and can't see far distances. I will say in Fla we had clear summer days with no haze. The coast of NE is probably quite hot but with that breeze of the water not as bad. Either way summer is summer. Its hot EVERYWHERE.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:25 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,768,528 times
What I need to do is hit the lottery, because for sure I would live in FL. from November(day after Thanksgiving), until April 1st. Then back to Massachusetts from April 1st, until November. I have to have Thanksgiving in New England. And fly up for Christmas week. I need to be a snow bird. I hate Florida summers, and hate -25 degree wind chills too. Sucks to be me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida