Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:25 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
The Fed's money market manipulations produced three bubbles in a row. We haven't had a free market in decades, certainly since FDR. The govt -- which is by nature corrupted centralized power -- can't take steps to do anything positive for the economy. In fact, that's one of the basis for the origins of this country -- limited, divided powers and a free market.

Federal government addicted to debt,' U.S. comptroller says, and the consequences could be dire- al.com
You are correct, however you should research a little deeper. Part of this manipulation was to ease over sight/regulation in these markets. Allowing laissez fairez has and will always lead to disaster.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Ten

163 posts, read 334,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You are correct, however you should research a little deeper. Part of this manipulation was to ease over sight/regulation in these markets. Allowing laissez fairez has and will always lead to disaster.
Depends on how deep you dig. You can blame everybody downstream of the Fed, but in the end, it's the Fed's money policy, founded on milking everything it possibly could out of fiat currency for the better part of a century, that has us facing paying the piper.

Lack of regulation, Wild Style, didn't produce over $50T in national debt, or are you arguing otherwise?

As far as condemning free markets, well, Marx was a chief opponent of capitalism, that despite the horrors of all the world's collectives and tyrannies. Furthermore, it goes without saying that the US, originated under free markets and the inherent productivity they encourage, utterly contrasts those failures. I can't believe that's even in question.

Maybe you should research a little deeper.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:24 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Excuse me, there's a skyrocketing inventory out there, moving through eleven months back in April from four back in 2002-2005. Unit sales are a third of their mid-2005 peak. Are we in the same country, Mike?

New home sales at lowest level since October 1991 - Apr. 24, 2008
Excuse me but inventory in my county has been declining since the beginning of the year.
It is down 13% since January.
This is the 3rd time I am saying this so we will see if you read it this time.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Excuse me but inventory in my county has been declining since the beginning of the year.
Oh, I read it, Mike. I read it as "here", which as far as I'm concerned, could be the entire state. Wherever "here" really is apparently only you know.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:04 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
I would think that your market is starting to move due to some people finally pricing realistically, along with banks putting the foreclosures on the market. People are buying when they find the right price. Seems thats the situation right now in a lot of places.

The bigger question is how much inventory do you have left.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I would think that your market is starting to move due to some people finally pricing realistically, along with banks putting the foreclosures on the market. People are buying when they find the right price. Seems thats the situation right now in a lot of places.

The bigger question is how much inventory do you have left.
There have been foreclosures and short sales on the market for many months now.
There are almost always more than one reason that a market starts moving.

Inventory is at 3691 but I don't know what good that number does you by itself.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:37 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
There have been foreclosures and short sales on the market for many months now.
There are almost always more than one reason that a market starts moving.

Inventory is at 3691 but I don't know what good that number does you by itself.
one thing i find surprising is that we hardly see reports of falling inventories in the mainstream media. with all the negative real estate press one would think that falling inventories would definately make worthwhile news

Old 05-19-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
one thing i find surprising is that we hardly see reports of falling inventories in the mainstream media. with all the negative real estate press one would think that falling inventories would definately make worthwhile news
Good news does not make for "good" news.

The news also lumps certain areas in with larger metro areas.

My county is considered in the Tampa Bay Metro area but we have our own MLS and are a very different area from Tampa.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:47 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Depends on how deep you dig. You can blame everybody downstream of the Fed, but in the end, it's the Fed's money policy, founded on milking everything it possibly could out of fiat currency for the better part of a century, that has us facing paying the piper.

yep

Lack of regulation, Wild Style, didn't produce over $50T in national debt, or are you arguing otherwise?

The problem at hand goes beyond 50t in national debt sir.

As far as condemning free markets, well, Marx was a chief opponent of capitalism, that despite the horrors of all the world's collectives and tyrannies. Furthermore, it goes without saying that the US, originated under free markets and the inherent productivity they encourage, utterly contrasts those failures. I can't believe that's even in question.

Bubbles every seven years, Economic calamity the likes of which they say we have not seen since the great depression. All of which stem from easing regulation and the like (among other factors). So no, free markets are not the best way to go. people will do what is in their best interest in all situations and that includes business. When those self interest harm the greater society then you are darn right we need to have better regulation. The problem is policing regulations properly which is where the waters get murky.

Maybe you should research a little deeper. uh hunh
See my comments in red

Old 05-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Ten

Wild Style, the Fed is "unregulated" in the sense that it acts arbitrarily.

Boom/bust cycles are simply not an inherent characteristic of large, interconnected free markets -- the dismal state of US fiscal policy and the resultant economic issues we face are based on central policy.
Central planers and Wall Street prestidigitators are getting better at having people concentrate on the wrong things at the wrong times in my opinion. In terms of present circumstances are concerned, we are referring to their ability to have the street focused on a manufactured rally in the dollar ($), while the effects of their previous inflation efforts run rampant throughout commodity markets, all the while having no material impact on improving the credit crisis, which is of course justification for printing the copious amounts of fiat currency they enjoy so much. What’s worse, this latest round of misdirection, a technique used by magicians in case you are unaware, will likely only make the effects of rapid monetary inflation worse over time as more will be needed, despite present claims that the worst of the crisis is over, and that it’s onward and upwards from here.
The Art Of Misdirection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida