Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:42 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's too bad though, because personally, I love the panhandle. The atmosphere is very calm, quiet and it's beautiful both on the coast and the interior. But I don't know if people would accept me living there, other than Tallahassee, as a gay person.
They likely wouldn't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 10:45 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,365 times
Exclamation CLEAN Water is "THE" Issue!

Some areas can handle SOME developments of THOUSANDS of new houses. But some can't. Yet the Economic Development model of Urban Sprawl + INCREASING the Tax Base since the 1960's has been the Florida Ruse of Developers + Politicians for DECADES! Sadly, this cycle has now run it's course.

With new "Paradise" construction enclaves in the Caribbean, Mexico and Central America -- and DIRECT flights from remote US enclaves like IN, TN, MT, CO, ND to these exotic locales -- retirement options are NOT what our grandparents or parents had!

Florida Real Estate up until the 1990's was based on retirees with legitimate PENSIONS (not 401K's).

With bank limitations on financing new construction projects, when will Florida Developers look at the competition out there to understand their models are now outdated to the market?

Golf Course + Gated Communities were the rage from the 1960's to the early 2000's. But those generations for appeal of these ideas are dying off and those communities are facing challenges for sustainability.

Bottom line: You can find a type of Paradise that suits you ANYWHERE now!

But will the HOA fees cripple you as you age? Is the gorgeous canal behind your house where you can keep you boat when you bought it at top dollar -- now full of smelly pollution that prohibits your enjoyment of the property because you can't sit on the patio or open the window?

Will the Aquifer for SAFE drinking water standards in your community be compromised from over-development by exceeding these limits?

Is OVER-DEVELOPMENT in your community now ruining your local beaches from the fertilizer/landscaping/agricultural run-off?

When the 2-lane highway in the sleepy town you bought into now gets widened to 6 lanes, and a trip to the local grocery store that used to take 15 minutes, now takes 45 because of the traffic signals, will your taxes now go down because of the "expanded" tax base?

Old 09-16-2018, 05:46 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I I wouldn't even move to south Georgia the warmest part if I was given a free house.

I"d rather live in north Florida where the Homestead protection still protects your property and tax increases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Even if they gave me a free house and Florida was hit by a cat 5 every week, I still would not live in Georgia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Why? I've got my own reasons, but just wondering what it is about Georgia that would make it not an option for others?
Too many taxes, too little protection, too cold.

I would either go down with the ship in Florida or possibly go to Texas or Nevada.

But Florida beats both those with a stick.

We could learn to construct buildings on stilts and a more complex canal system and/or live underwater.

Or simply die in relative peace.

Either way is okay.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:50 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,745 times
The NW Mountain Areas of Ga, could do the trick, but JUST for a vacation..I ain't moving from Miama ~~~~~

Old 09-17-2018, 07:34 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Georgia has very bad air pollution.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Georgia has very bad air pollution.
Must be related to the Comsumption of Beans by the Locals and all the Mexicans in there now.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:48 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
More Pinellas County "paradise" today

Old 09-17-2018, 03:11 PM

A picture that extends from Pinellas to Collier today

Old 09-17-2018, 11:06 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Seems like Rick Scott is getting a lot of heat for the red tide & algae bloom incidents in conservative SW Florida.

Rick Scott campaign stop besieged by red tide protesters.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20...ide-protesters

Scott signed off on legislation that repealed a mandatory septic tank inspection program. The inspections were intended to identify failing septic tanks that are leaching pollutants.

The governor also cut $700 million from the state’s water management districts, which help implement a range of water quality programs. And Scott reduced staffing at the state Department of Environmental Protection and pushed to speed up and streamline environmental permitting, leading some to accuse the state of cutting corners in protecting the environment.

He can't run away from his record on the environment.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:07 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Seems like Rick Scott is getting a lot of heat for the red tide & algae bloom incidents in conservative SW Florida.

Rick Scott campaign stop besieged by red tide protesters.
Rick Scott campaign stop besieged by red tide protesters - News - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL

Scott signed off on legislation that repealed a mandatory septic tank inspection program. The inspections were intended to identify failing septic tanks that are leaching pollutants.

The governor also cut $700 million from the state’s water management districts, which help implement a range of water quality programs. And Scott reduced staffing at the state Department of Environmental Protection and pushed to speed up and streamline environmental permitting, leading some to accuse the state of cutting corners in protecting the environment.

He can't run away from his record on the environment.
Yup. He was even pro oil drilling after deepwater horizon until public sentiment was anti drilling off Florida's coasts.

He's a corporate shill, plain and simple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida