Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 08:57 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,894,927 times

Advertisements

I used to think it was so funny when I went to Florida to visit and seeing everyone tanned and in shorts and short sleeved shirts. Coming from the frozen North where that attire was rare and people were pale as ghosts. Now I live here and have worn shorts more in the last year than in my entire life (I'm 69). Now people in long pants and long sleeved shirts and suits look odd to me. I guess perceptions change when you move to a sunny tropical climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 10:06 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
Tourists and teenagers are most often the ones with great tans (and burns). Yes, Floridians often dress in shorts and short-sleeve shirts, but, they soon learn to stay covered and out of the sun (unless they are golfers). Unless, retired, they also work during the day and don't have time to sit on the beach all week.

In the winter (yes, we have them in Florida, particularly in the panhandle), the tourists are the one's on the beach in swim suits; Floridians are the ones wearing jackets and warmer clothes.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Ditto. In fact, I've let pretty much most of my "winter" clothing go now. I just cannot fathom wearing pants or anything other than long-sleeves from March through October now.

When I'm your age, assuming I'm still here, I'll likely look like one of those leathery senior citizens who sits on the beach from sunrise to sunset........who, btw, seemingly are the happiest people on the planet.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:16 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
Odd, I'm the opposite.. early 50's and just come to the personal realization that shorts are the wrong attire for me. This is my first summer I've not worn shorts one single time, couldn't be happier. Looking forward to retirement so I can get the heck away from the perpetually hot and humid down here, anxious to take over my folks property in Montana.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:28 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,751,833 times
It’s not only wearing shorts and tans, but the color choices in clothing I wear that give me away. We drove back to NY in April one year and stopped to get a Starbucks. I was wearing jeans and a black polar fleece jacket so I would fit in, but the bright turquoise shirt peeking out of my jacket stood out. Surrounded by a sea of dark somber colors, I felt like an escaped, colorful parrot on the loose. I wear sun screen and avoid the midday sun, but my face had more color than all the pale ones around me. I definitely wasn’t from NY anymore.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:06 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
I very rarely wear shorts. Usually leggings or jeans, or maxi skirts; shorter skirts with opaque hose.

No, I’m not fat.

I wish people would cover up more; call me a snob but I don’t want to see your cellulite, your scabby sun damage, or the fungus on your toes!

And I’ll add the dirty bra strap (or any bra strap) sticking out of your spaghetti strap camisole or backless/keyhole/lowcut dress or top.

If you’re at the beach that’s one thing. It’s just interesting how so many people dress like crap to go to nice restaurants, etc.

That’s just my opinion. Bash me as you will !

Old 08-15-2018, 05:52 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I very rarely wear shorts. Usually leggings or jeans, or maxi skirts; shorter skirts with opaque hose.

No, I’m not fat.

I wish people would cover up more; call me a snob but I don’t want to see your cellulite, your scabby sun damage, or the fungus on your toes!

And I’ll add the dirty bra strap (or any bra strap) sticking out of your spaghetti strap camisole or backless/keyhole/lowcut dress or top.

If you’re at the beach that’s one thing. It’s just interesting how so many people dress like crap to go to nice restaurants, etc.

I see this a lot here in the Jacksonville area. What I consider nice restaurants a lot of people will come in with their flip flops on, baseball caps, workout clothing, etc. I definitely stay dressed down as often as I can here (work from home and the heat...ohhhh the heat!) but it might be a cultural thing down here to dress down at events as well. I really don't get it.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,139,759 times
Quote:

No, I’m not fat.

I mostly work from home and thus only put on long pants when I have to go into the office or during winter when I also think about wearing socks. Luckily, I guess I get excused as I don't have cellulite and am usually on the beach which is at the end of the street.

My wife mostly lives in shorts, but also likes to dress up. We often look like an odd couple with my wile in a dress heels and maybe a scarf or jacket and me in flip flops shorts and T. None of the restaurants care everyone's money is the same no matter what they wear.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:31 PM

240 posts, read 286,748 times
Quote:

No, I’m not fat.

Some people are too hot to wear pants and jeans. I'm one of them. I haven't been able to wear long sleeves in years. Leggings either. It has to be down in the 50s or 60s for that. Maybe you want to bring back the old days of Florida when men had to wear dinner jackets to eat out and if they didn't have one, the restaurant kindly offered them one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida