Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 07:45 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In my opinion there is going to be a considerable economic divide in FL with the top 1% still attracted to the weather and relative bargain to the Northeast US. The increasingly high cost of rental housing is going to affect inbound transplants and while some argue the housing market is showing no signs of a recession, it doesn't take a PhD in Economy to realize the real market's growth in FL isn't sustainable over the long haul...especially if interest rates continue to rise. The late stage Baby Boomers and those at the beginning of Generation X are up next for retirement and unlike earlier stage Boomers, far less likely with the ability to afford the traditional "retire to Florida" scenario and probably more likely to stay put where ever that might be...or look for more economical options in other parts of the country (i.e. the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas or even parts of the Midwest).

Hate to break it to you but the Carolinas aren't as affordable as they once were. Particularly around Charlotte. Homes that were going for $150,000 a few years ago are now going for $250,000-$280,000. Out of reach for a lot of younger people price wise. Pricing on cheaper looking homes is deceiving.. They're in very unsafe places

They're having a rental crisis right now. Rent is sky high for the area. Most places in safe areas are going for $1600-$1700. Unaffordable for a lot of younger folks unless they're willing to bunk up.

We left SW Florida last year and I can't tell you how many of my friends and family left Florida either before us or shortly after. Both of my parents (baby boomers) left Florida also and moved back up north within the last 4 years.

We're in our mid 30's and while I think there are some families moving to Fla I also think as they start to realize they aren't going to be able to afford the single family homes as they graduate college and start a family there are going to be more and more leaving. We have friends making $80k who still can't afford a single family in Naples, they've had to move far inland and get roomates.

I don't think weather will be a factor in moving to the state.. We don't particularly care that Fla doesn't have snow and most of the people I know were moving away because of that factor.. we actually moved to get a seasonal change.. Its getting hotter and hotter there with less and less of a winter. Its also still very much catering to the older pop (at least where we were in SWFL)... not an attractive thing when you have a young family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 10:11 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW&LWR View Post
Yes, people will still move to Florida.
If you research Florida's history, the state's plan has always been to attract people wealthy enough to own at least (2) homes.
Not working class folks.

That being said, foreigners will continue to buy up the state.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 09-06-2018 at 10:38 AM..

Old 09-06-2018, 01:42 PM

370 posts, read 903,497 times
Retire to Florida? **** that. Just move down here while you're working. Why suffer in some frozen hell hole only to spend your last 6 months where it's warm?

Old 09-06-2018, 04:24 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Hate to break it to you but the Carolinas aren't as affordable as they once were. Particularly around Charlotte. Homes that were going for $150,000 a few years ago are now going for $250,000-$280,000. Out of reach for a lot of younger people price wise. Pricing on cheaper looking homes is deceiving.. They're in very unsafe places
Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Asheville and Charleston aren't the only metro areas in the Carolinas. Outside of those areas in/around Greensboro-Winston Salem NC, Greenville-Spartanburg SC, Hickory-Lenoir-Statesville NC, Greenville NC, Wilmington NC and Aiken SC-Augusta GA (to name a few) are all quite affordable still with plenty of inventory below 200K in safer, desirable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: