Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:43 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEMT-B View Post
I’m 22, and EMS is my line of work. My parents will be moving down as well, so I’ll have a place to stay until I find a place of my own. They have more around 500-600k budget for a beach house. I’ll be making 41k starting off (EMS starting salary in Manattee and Okaloosa counties) so I may just live with them forever.. lol!

lol... try more like 2.2 million...... you're not getting a house with an ocean view anything with that low price.. you'll find a canal view.. with a dead manatee view, from red tide of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 08:49 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
lol... try more like 2.2 million...... you're not getting a house with an ocean view anything with that low price.. you'll find a canal view.. with a dead manatee view, from red tide of course.
The OP didn't state a desire for beachfront, only a beach house.....which can be blocks from the beach as most of us are aware and they're certainly no where near 2.2 million dollars. Furthermore red tide isn't widespread up and down the entire Gulf coast, and is largely done for now anyway. https://sanibelsusan.com/

Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
No hurricanes is not an option.. you WILL get a hurricane, no matter where you live in Fla..
Potentially, but the last one to hit here was nothing big and it was 14 years before that one hit, that one hit. Yes they can hit any time, but so can fire, flooding, tornadoes, earthquakes and other problems anywhere in the Country. No place avoids dangerous issues, so each must evaluate what they can cope with. Hurricanes give you plenty of warning and no much else does.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:52 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Not on the East coast.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:25 AM

90 posts, read 99,676 times
Quote:
..have you even looked at Zillow lately? That is completely false. Yes, being DIRECTLY on the beach will be around seven figures; but you can find homes from 400k up with a view of the ocean.

I can give examples if you would like.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:48 AM

90 posts, read 99,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
What are your hobbies and your lifestyle? Make sure you pick a place where you also can pursue your hobbies and where you live among some like-minded people. If you feel like a stranger or alien and there is nothing else to do but going to the beach, you might not be too happy on the long run. At 22 years old one also wants to go out and socialize. There comes a point where just being surrounded by beautiful palm trees (I love palm trees, too!) just is not enough.

Read the threads on this forum about the different FL areas: the panhandle (mentality more like in the Old South, lots of rednecks etc.), south FL more like the Caribbean, and places in between with different vibes.
Well. I don’t like huge crowds of people. I don’t drink or do drugs. (I’ve never been to a bar or a nightclub, and I don't ever plan on it.) I like riding my longboard or my mountain bike, which I can do to get to the beach! I’m pretty conservative so I don’t mind rednecks, I’d like to meet someone (Who isn’t sloppy seconds of a frat house on spring break. I REALLY hate spring breakers.) and I’ll be spending most of my time working towards my goal of becoming a tactical medic.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:01 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Well. I don’t like huge crowds of people. I don’t drink or do drugs. (I’ve never been to a bar or a nightclub, and I don't ever plan on it.) I like riding my longboard or my mountain bike, which I can do to get to the beach! I’m pretty conservative so I don’t mind rednecks, I’d like to meet someone (Who isn’t sloppy seconds of a frat house on spring break. I REALLY hate spring breakers.) and I’ll be spending most of my time working towards my goal of becoming a tactical medic.
You might look at a place like Sebastian or Indialantic which seem to draw people into beach activities like surfing, largely minus the party vibe seen in other places.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:33 AM

789 posts, read 785,095 times
If I was still living in Florida today it would be in the "emerald coast " I hate these names !! Tallahassee over to the Panama City/Calaway area would be my choice . I would not want to live on the coast or with in a short walk to the beach , that is over rated after you live thru a few close calls with hurricanes but sure would live in the pan handle rather than the larger east of lower west coast . Maybe amelia island area !! I never did find a real difference in a 10minute drive to the beach from a ten minute walk after helping with flood damage rebuilds .

Take it from a 42 years Floridian from collier county fl .

Paramedic starting salaries are not very that high so don't worry about lots of tree types and quick access to the beach for some years down the road . More about a good place to live you can afford first .

Old 09-15-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
..have you even looked at Zillow lately? That is completely false. Yes, being DIRECTLY on the beach will be around seven figures; but you can find homes from 400k up with a view of the ocean.

I can give examples if you would like.

Considering I lived in Naples, Fl for 34 years I felt I was being very generous on that price...

Old 09-15-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Potentially, but the last one to hit here was nothing big and it was 14 years before that one hit, that one hit. Yes they can hit any time, but so can fire, flooding, tornadoes, earthquakes and other problems anywhere in the Country. No place avoids dangerous issues, so each must evaluate what they can cope with. Hurricanes give you plenty of warning and no much else does.

Weird cause I moved from Naples, Fl 3 weeks before Irma made landfall... Prior to that was a direct landfall from Wilma.. a mere 13 years ago. Between that we had Charlie and Katrina also cross the state... I don't remember no 14 year stretch of there not being some kind of system not hitting the state at some point..

Everyone who wants to move to Fla always post on these threads they wanna live in Fla but not where hurricanes hit... and we all laugh and laugh and laugh

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida