Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times

Advertisements

Florida's governor CANNOT impose a state income tax. Florida's constitution specifies NO State Income Tax. The only way a state income tax could be added would be a statewide vote of all Florida voters to ammend the constitution and requires least 60%. It won't happen.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Florida needs to grow up - at 20 million people and counting it can't pretend it is empty any longer.

That means it needs income. The People and their representatives can decide where that comes from.

You can't have schools full of youth at 12K per person per year and still get by with $1K per year property tax. And with the environmental destruction and global warming (heat), the tourist biz is not likely to pay the way any longer. There are only so many swampy lowland lots to sell.

We know the costs of modern civilization. Florida is no exception. That's the price of progress.
Uh property tax is way above $1000.00 per year unless you live in a mobile home or a dump.

Progress for example in CA with the ideas you have has led over 30% of the population below the poverty level. Need better ideas.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:05 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Uh property tax is way above $1000.00 per year unless you live in a mobile home or a dump.

Progress for example in CA with the ideas you have has led over 30% of the population below the poverty level. Need better ideas.
Exactly, people should really try living in California, I still find it funny when people here complain about cost of living, traffic, poor infastructure. Florida is better in all those categories and sales tax is lower, no state income tax and fees are lower too.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:19 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If Gillum does win, I wouldn’t be surprised if FL changes the constitution to allow state income tax in the future.
fake news alert

Old 09-25-2018, 07:27 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
The Florida house and senate are ridiculously conservative.

Why do people act like Gillum is going to unilaterally going change everything the second he is elected? The idea has no basis in reality.

I see this election more as a vote against Trump and the ultra right wing that has suddenly found more of a voice. I prefer to get back closer to the middle and electing a leftist to governor in a state with a legislature that is still heavily republican will help do just that.

If I have to pay taxes for universal health care and community college, then so be it. I support that anyway. I'm a registered Republican btw. I just don't feel as though what is in your wallet should determine if you live or die nor should most of the middle class be one health event away from losing everything.
I'm voting against Trump and his puppet. I don't believe electing gillum will actually end up creating an income tax in FL. A governor can't do that.

Many trump supporters forget trump actually called for universal healthcare during his campaign at one point, funded by higher taxes on the rich...one of his (many) lies: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-...-scott-pelley/

Old 09-25-2018, 08:29 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
The Florida house and senate are ridiculously conservative.

Why do people act like Gillum is going to unilaterally going change everything the second he is elected? The idea has no basis in reality.

I see this election more as a vote against Trump and the ultra right wing that has suddenly found more of a voice. I prefer to get back closer to the middle and electing a leftist to governor in a state with a legislature that is still heavily republican will help do just that.

If I have to pay taxes for universal health care and community college, then so be it. I support that anyway. I'm a registered Republican btw. I just don't feel as though what is in your wallet should determine if you live or die nor should most of the middle class be one health event away from losing everything.
I don't want Gillium because the one place he became mayor, has already jumped to number one in the state in crime, and he is already being investigated for corruption. So no thank you, don't need someone like him running MY state.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:31 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I don't want Gillium because the one place he became mayor, has already jumped to number one in the state in crime, and he is already being investigated for corruption. So no thank you, don't need someone like him running MY state.
Softness on crime is my biggest peeve.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
Has worked fantastic for 160+ years...
Yep. In fact, it's worked so well, people are fleeing states like New York and New Jersey to come here to get away from the high taxes. My whole family moved back in 70's from Buffalo, NY to Florida, and business I work at had transferred to Florida from NYC back in the mid 80's.

In California, people are fleeing and moving to Texas and Nevada.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
For many years, there has been a net increase of 900 people a day moving into the state. One of the reasons is moving from a state that has a 13% income tax and/or a city income tax to no income tax. I don't think there would ever be 60% of voters approving a constitutional amendment to take more money out of their pockets.
There will be if Gillium is elected Governor and he signs for a sanctuary city where God knows how many immigrants and refugees will be pumped in so he can get that artificial vote.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:41 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
No, I'm not voting for this free crap candidate. Go to work and pay your bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: