Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 05:16 PM

90 posts, read 97,741 times

Advertisements

So from everywhere I’ve looked at (I’ve been looking at many different places to relocate for about 6 months), the panhandle seems to be the place I want to be. The beach, the water, and the southern charm looks perfect.

The area that seems the most reasonably priced is Panama City Beach, and it also seems to have the stores and restaurants I’m accustomed to, here in St. Louis. I do however, have two major concerns..

Is the traffic absolutely horrible? I wouldn’t be living in the main stretch of PCB, (probably west bay county, laguna beach, etc.) but obviously I would have to drive through highway 98 to get to any major stores, and I would have to use that or 79 to get to Lynn Haven/Panama City for work (I’m assuming. Bay County EMS is based out of Southport, but if I was hired, I could be assigned to any station around the county. I believe Panama City/Lynn Haven has the most EMS stations, but I’m not absolutely sure.)

Is there actually a PCB ‘community’? I’m single, coming up on 23, and will be moving hopefully within the next two years. Is there any amount of young people that live in Panama City? I’d rather not be single my whole life. If not, I guess I could look into Fort Walton Beach, but that seems like even worse traffic and I don’t believe you are able to walk to the beach from FW..

Thanks guys!
Jake.

Last edited by JTEMT-B; 10-08-2018 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 08:24 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,387,378 times
PCB will be a different place by tonight.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:35 AM

25,153 posts, read 12,308,008 times
I lived in St. Louis 6 years, and I spent 1 month in PCB in November 2016 to research the area as a place to retire to in the future. I'm not in your age group, but I'll try to provide insights.

Scale: PCB is much smaller than St. Louis. It would be better to compare PCB to Belleville, IL just across the river in size. You have 1 shopping mall with all the typical chain stores and its more of an outdoor mall, but new and very nice. PCB has a Fresh Market, and I think Luckys just moved in, but no Whole Foods when I was there. Mostly chain restaurants when you get away from the beach areas.

People: Most younger people are military, or recently retired military. Mostly guys from what I saw. There are 2 colleges I saw, so some young people are students too. I worked out at a high end gym all month, and saw a steady stream of young people, including young women at the gym in the area you'd likely wind up near. The women mostly participated in the classes like spinning, so if I were young man trying to meet women, that is where you'd find me. When I was there they had an Ironman event, so that brought a lot of younger people to PCB for a week. PCB is younger than most of Florida, but not as young and vibrant as Jacksonville.

Traffic: Compared to St. Louis, PCB's nothing. I spent much of my life sitting in traffic on 270, 70, 40, ect.. and there's nothing like that in PCB. During season, PCB's main road is much like Manchester Rd. out in West County STL....highly congested and stop and go. The road that runs along PCB beach during season is gridlock much of the time, but I found that easy to avoid. The tourist area of PCB is well confined and easily avoided.

Cost of living: PCB felt about the same at STL. Food costs more in PCB and gas costs more too. Apartments would cost about the same in PCB, but condo's and homes much more in PCB due to having to conform to Hurricane standards and higher land costs. Electricity's cheaper in PCB. No State income tax. Property taxes are less in Walton County and neighboring Countys than in St. Louis city, or County.

I think Jacksonville would be optimal for you due to scale/size, but if you can get past the smaller town feel, PCB could still be a good fit.

We passed on the Panhandle due to scale, and lack of cinder block construction. Much of the new construction is frame and we did not want to be in a Hurricane prone area inside a frame home. I hope those frame homes hold up over the next 24 hours as Hurricane Michael's hitting there as I write this post.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 10-10-2018 at 09:55 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 11:29 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,385,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I hope those frame homes hold up over the next 24 hours as Hurricane Michael's hitting there as I write this post.
Me too.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I lived in St. Louis 6 years, and I spent 1 month in PCB in November 2016 to research the area as a place to retire to in the future. I'm not in your age group, but I'll try to provide insights.

Scale: PCB is much smaller than St. Louis. It would be better to compare PCB to Belleville, IL just across the river in size. You have 1 shopping mall with all the typical chain stores and its more of an outdoor mall, but new and very nice. PCB has a Fresh Market, and I think Luckys just moved in, but no Whole Foods when I was there. Mostly chain restaurants when you get away from the beach areas.

People: Most younger people are military, or recently retired military. Mostly guys from what I saw. There are 2 colleges I saw, so some young people are students too. I worked out at a high end gym all month, and saw a steady stream of young people, including young women at the gym in the area you'd likely wind up near. The women mostly participated in the classes like spinning, so if I were young man trying to meet women, that is where you'd find me. When I was there they had an Ironman event, so that brought a lot of younger people to PCB for a week. PCB is younger than most of Florida, but not as young and vibrant as Jacksonville.

Traffic: Compared to St. Louis, PCB's nothing. I spent much of my life sitting in traffic on 270, 70, 40, ect.. and there's nothing like that in PCB. During season, PCB's main road is much like Manchester Rd. out in West County STL....highly congested and stop and go. The road that runs along PCB beach during season is gridlock much of the time, but I found that easy to avoid. The tourist area of PCB is well confined and easily avoided.

Cost of living: PCB felt about the same at STL. Food costs more in PCB and gas costs more too. Apartments would cost about the same in PCB, but condo's and homes much more in PCB due to having to conform to Hurricane standards and higher land costs. Electricity's cheaper in PCB. No State income tax. Property taxes are less in Walton County and neighboring Countys than in St. Louis city, or County.

I think Jacksonville would be optimal for you due to scale/size, but if you can get past the smaller town feel, PCB could still be a good fit.

We passed on the Panhandle due to scale, and lack of cinder block construction. Much of the new construction is frame and we did not want to be in a Hurricane prone area inside a frame home. I hope those frame homes hold up over the next 24 hours as Hurricane Michael's hitting there as I write this post.
Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful!

The only reason I’d need to get into the main area during season is to go to the shops at pier park, but from what I’m seeing you can take the highway to get there instead of the main road along the beach. So hopefully shopping wouldn’t be a total nightmare lol!

I hope everyone there is okay right now, and I hope everyone who lost a home is able to quickly rebuild.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:13 AM

2,266 posts, read 7,300,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEMT-B View Post
Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful!

The only reason I’d need to get into the main area during season is to go to the shops at pier park, but from what I’m seeing you can take the highway to get there instead of the main road along the beach. So hopefully shopping wouldn’t be a total nightmare lol!

I hope everyone there is okay right now, and I hope everyone who lost a home is able to quickly rebuild.
There will be no rebuilding quickly. It will take years to recover after this devastating storm.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
There will be no rebuilding quickly. It will take years to recover after this devastating storm.
..are you watching the same footage I am..?

It’s not good, but this is not the literal end of the world. Let’s not be so negative.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:26 PM

301 posts, read 187,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEMT-B View Post
..are you watching the same footage I am..?

It’s not good, but this is not the literal end of the world. Let’s not be so negative.
Yo, this isn't about being negative. This is about being realistic. My family and friends have experienced devastation unlike anything they have before. Entire neighborhoods are destroyed. Beach communities have been wiped off the planet. For them, right now, it is the end of their world. Have some sensitivity, jesus.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:07 PM

25,153 posts, read 12,308,008 times
If a frame home was leveled, I'd like to see it rebuilt with cinder block and/or brick construction. Those metal buildings used to stack boats inside of are way too flimsy. This should be a huge learning experience for the construction industry there and those who regulate it.

From the images and video I've seen, it looks more like a wind event than storm surge or flooding. Or has the water just receded already?

Old 10-11-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
If a frame home was leveled, I'd like to see it rebuilt with cinder block and/or brick construction. Those metal buildings used to stack boats inside of are way too flimsy. This should be a huge learning experience for the construction industry there and those who regulate it.

From the images and video I've seen, it looks more like a wind event than storm surge or flooding. Or has the water just receded already?
The newer homes seem to still be standing. The older homes (not built to current code) were beaten pretty bad. It’s sad, but hopefully donations and insurance will help them get their homes rebuilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida